Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Released] AAA: Greek Generals (v1.0.1)

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [WIP] AAA: Greeks

So good!The Macs look great!. For the Bactrians, I'd only suggest making most of the armors sets being the muscled cuirass(?). However, that is simply an aesthetic idea to make them look distinct from the western Hellenics who widely use the linen and leather.

I'd rep you more if TWC allowed it!
    Last edited by Dead*Man*Wilson; December 12, 2018 at 10:22 AM.

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

No suggestions, they look extremely good!

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Bravo!

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    For the Bactrians, I'd only suggest making most of the armors sets being the muscled cuirass(?). However, that is simply an aesthetic idea to make them look distinct from the western Hellenics who widely use the linen and leather.
    Hmm, yeah that could be doable I think - I would need to edit them a bit more to make sure they don't look exactly like the Seleucid early rankers though (hence why I went with the lino + cav helmet).

I'd rep you more if TWC allowed it!
    No probs!

I'm doing another quick update now to show you guys what I'm going to do next for this mod before release.

New 3D Assets

So, one reason the mod is taking so long is because I do a lot of minor / major edits to existing assets. For example, here are a couple of skin weight + ingame tests of the Macedonians' new torso armour, separated from the "Dionysius" character in Rise of the Republic.

I had to give it better skin weights (the areas designating which part of a mesh is attached to which part on a skeleton) since I heavily edited the model to fit the Rome II body; it wasn't intended to fit on them, only on Dionysius' skin which is slightly shorter / fatter. So, because I redid the skin weights, I needed to test if they worked properly with the animations ingame. Because CA didn't provide any test animations inside the Assembly Kit's example files, I have to test ingame rather than inside the software itself (if someone found a way to export animations from Rome II back to 3DS Max, it'd make my job a lot easier to test and edit on the fly - right now it makes the trial and error during the skin weighting process longer than it should since I need to export + run variant editor / game to see how it works).

Dionysius' Torso Armour - Skin Weights (3DS Max)
    Torso
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Shoulder Pteryges

Bottom Pteryges
    Ingame Skin Weight Tests
    Porthole + Campaign

Battle - Infantry

Battle - Cavalry
    Over the next few days I'm going to - again - do some of my own assets for this mod. Following on from the new Ptolemaic Officer Helmet / Egyptian Fibula I did a few months ago and some of the tweaks / new Montefortino helmets I did for the "Roman Models Extravaganza" resource pack (this and this), I just feel like doing them to add more variety. Since I've got a lot faster at doing 3D stuff recently they shouldn't take long to do.

Taken from the same list I posted a few days ago, these are the ones I intend to do for release:

New Asset List

• HELMET: New Bactrian Boeotian #34 Helmet - The current vanilla Bactrian helmet is alright, but I think adding in another variant of it would be good. This one is also featured more prominently on Bactrian coins and is even a part of the faction's logo, yet they never even wear it? I will give this helmet to the middle-ranking Bactrian generals to replace the current generic Thracian_Elite helmet, with the vanilla Bactrian helmet being used for the higher ranks (with an HD texture, made by Celticus). Added bonus is that I don't think anyone has attempted to depict this helmet in 3D before, so that's a niche worth filling I think. Skin weighting will be super easy, since it'd just be attached to the head bone.
    • HELMET: Late-Corinthian Helmet - I really don't like the vanilla late-corinthian helmets; they look so low-quality and the model just doesn't look right. Skin weighting will be super easy, since it'd just be attached to the head bone.
    • PROP: Greek Crown / Halo - This will just give some extra variation to some of my planned higher ranked Greek politicians. I might do multiple variants of this one to add more variation (e.g. one with / without the halo, one silver, one gold etc). Skin weighting will be super easy, since it'd just be attached to the head bone.
    • ACCESSORY: Hoplon Flag / Cloth - I saw this on some of the reference images I was looking at, and it looked damn cool - not sure what it's called exactly but I want to make this. This'll probably be for the Greek States' / generic Greeks' higher ranks, and definitely for all the Wrath of Sparta Greek factions' higher ranks as well. Skin weighting will be super easy, since it'd just be attached to the shield bone.
    • ACCESSORY: Kopis Scabbard + Crossbelt - For all the Greek generals (maybe even for future Pontic / Punic generals too); just to add a bit more detail to them. It'll have to be resized multiple times to fit all the armours. Skin weighting will be slightly harder, since the crossbelt will be attached to the hips / spine / shoulder bones.
    If anyone else has any potential ideas for entirely new assets that CA haven't made already or could replace some of their lower-quality assets, let me know and I'll consider them for the future. The sort of ideas for new assets I especially like to work on are the things that haven't been done before.
    Last edited by Benjin; December 12, 2018 at 12:47 PM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Phillip V's outfit is pretty interesting:

Outside of the interesting helmet design, I'd like to see the style of boot he's wearing more represented. I'm not sure if there is a vanilla model for this, and if there is, I haven't noticed it. Typically, I usually see Hellenistic models rocking the greaves + sandals combo. These seem pretty common in the Hellenistic world and would help the generals stand out more.
    Last edited by Dead*Man*Wilson; December 12, 2018 at 04:07 PM.

For the Bactrians, I agree with the previous posts about the muscle cuirass. Below is a pretty good representation of a cavalryman. I especially like the eastern-style trousers. I think that would be a nice little detail to separate them from the rest of the Greeks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Oh, those pants are distinct. Good call.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

The Late-Corinthian helmet asset is now ready, below are a few images + the reference it's based on.

New Late-Corinthian Helmet
    Visual References

Old Late-Corinthian vs New Late-Corinthian

New Late-Corinthian Worn

Next up will be the Bactrian #34 helmet; starting to model it now. I'll show a timelapse video for that one, going from start to finish.

Phillip V's outfit is pretty interesting:

Outside of the interesting helmet design, I'd like to see the style of boot he's wearing more represented. I'm not sure if there is a vanilla model for this, and if there is, I haven't noticed it. Typically, I usually see Hellenistic models rocking the greaves + sandals combo. These seem pretty common in the Hellenistic world and would help the generals stand out more.
    There is an asset called "Hellenic_Peltast_Boots" that look almost exactly like the boots there. I'm currently using them for the Late Egyptian (Imperator Augustus) Generals, but I could maybe give those boots to some of the early ranked Generals in the Grand Campaign as well - I'll have to see if they'd fit any certain faction(s) in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Caius Martius Coriolanus View Post
    For the Bactrians, I agree with the previous posts about the muscle cuirass. Below is a pretty good representation of a cavalryman. I especially like the eastern-style trousers. I think that would be a nice little detail to separate them from the rest of the Greeks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    That's a good idea Caius, I hadn't considered that. Maybe I could put some eastern trousers (becoming slightly more extravagant the higher the rank) and resize the greaves to fit the trousers.
    Last edited by Benjin; December 12, 2018 at 08:37 PM.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

It looks wonderful, Benjin! I'm very much looking forward to this mod... just hope you intend to make it DeI compatible from the off...

Caius, definietly a good idea for the Bactrians with those eastern-style trousers!

Looking good, Benjin!

Concerning the 'peltast' boots; it looks like they are mostly depicted on the Seleucids & Ptolemiesm but the Antigonids as well (including nice & colorful ones!):
    https://deadliestblogpage.wordpress....the-ptolemies/
    https://deadliestblogpage.wordpress....the-seleucids/
    https://deadliestblogpage.wordpress....he-antigonids/

Our friend the smiling companion is rocking some as well (who has a pretty interesting helmet, might I add)
    https://weaponsandwarfare.files.word...8/09/vdfbf.jpg

I'll keep an eye out for ideas for new assets, Benjin! I'll move past the hats and boots
    Last edited by Dead*Man*Wilson; December 13, 2018 at 07:33 AM.

Perhaps for Epirus and Macedon, you could try to work out a helm with rams horns? Haven't seen anything like that in game. It looks like Phillip V in the pic in post #65 has a similar thing going. Seems something that could inspire the creation of a new asset.
    First image:
    https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2015/0...hus-of-epirus/

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Progress on the new Bactrian helmet is going well; I have almost finished the base + front plate models (might make some minor adjustments here later, such as the thickness) and I am about to start modelling the smaller details on the side.

The Bactrian helmet reference I'm going for is #34 of this image showing some helmet drawings. That same helmet is usually depicted on Greco-Bactrian coins as well (shown below in the spoiler tags - shape are different each time, so I'm just going with the drawing reference).

EDIT: Nevermind about the bull's ear + horn question - I asked a few other people elsewhere and they all said that it's most likely metallic, like this. Logically speaking, I just don't see anyone attaching a real bull's ear to the helmet anyway; horns I can understand, but not ears. It's also open for interpretation as well - we can't go back in time to see the helmet (I don't think this one has actually ever been found to confirm what they really were). So, I'm just going to make them metallic, as part of the helmet.
    Last edited by Benjin; December 16, 2018 at 05:12 AM.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Oh no, those meshes remind me college years...

(nice links there, @deadmanwilson )

Looking amazing, Benjin!

Thanks, Jake!

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

So many distractions during the past two days - would've finished this by now otherwise!

Anyway, I've almost finished the helmet - will take another hour to do the ear + horn + attach points + export to rigid_model_v2 and then I`m moving onto the next new asset.

Bactrian Helmet - Low Poly Model

Bactrian Helmet (Base) - Zbrush Sculpts

Bactrian Helmet (Base) - Textured + Wireframe

Last edited by Benjin; December 17, 2018 at 07:30 PM.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Finished the Bactrian helmet - I may need to make a few adjustments to the textures for Rome II (it doesn't look 100% like my render due to the way the way Total War renders stuff), but the hard stuff is done.

Next will be the Greek Crown (and, maybe, a cloth diadem) for high-ranking politicians.

Bactrian Helmet - Render

Bactrian Helmet - Ingame (Rome II Variant Editor)

Last edited by Benjin; December 20, 2018 at 04:49 PM.

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

Awesome!

Loving your work as always Benjin. While we're on the topic of ripping off armour, why not Brennus' breastplate?

Hmmmmm....that might be worth looking at when it comes to Massalia.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

I might definitely do that for the Gauls, when I eventually get around to doing the Barbarians. I'm not sure if I'd give it to Massalia - I haven't given them any thought yet since they're not planned for the first release.

Tomorrow I'm going to start work on the other new assets - for past few days I've been working on something else for my portfolio. If anyone wants to quickly inspect the Bactrian helmet in 3D on your browser, here's a Sketchfab link (shame I can't embed it ).
    Last edited by Benjin; December 21, 2018 at 01:08 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast