Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Released] AAA: Greek Generals (v1.0.1)

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Default Re: [WIP] AAA: Greeks

This Bactrian helmet looks wonderful, Benjin!

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

Benjin, DEI 1.2.4. is out! We need your mod

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Happy New Year everyone!

For the past week I've been working pretty much non-stop on getting the skins finished for the mod. Like with the Roman version of AAA Generals, I didn't want to use the vanilla heads from Rome II for the Greeks - they just didn't look good enough for the quality I was aiming for. I decided to use some more of the Attila heads, but ones I didn't use already for the Romans. However, there is one massive problem when using Attila's skins with Rome II assets (armour, helmets clothing etc) - they cause massive clipping issues. Anyone who has used AAA Generals: Rome may have noticed that the Roman Generals have two hands overlapping each other and sometimes have a few bits of clipping in the neck area - that's an issue caused by the use of Attila's Greco-Roman skins.

To fix these annoying clipping issues, I had to edit all of the Greco-Roman skin models for them to fit properly with Rome II's assets (35 heads and 1 full body). This required a lot of re-modelling / re-skin weighting so that the skins would fit with all the Rome II assets and also allow for all the animations to work smoothly again (eyes moving, eyelids blinking, mouths moving, both head + body models (since they're separate) not having any seam issues around the neck etc).
    New Body / Head Skins - 3DS Max + Final Ingame

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

With that stuff done, the Greeks now have more detailed skins which now more closely match the quality of the new Roman + Spartan ones. The Greek politicians I think now especially look good in their himations / chitons (comparison image included, comparing some old Greek politicians with the new ones).

New Greek Politicians - Vanilla VS New

The mod is also that much closer to release; I left the skins until last because I knew they'd take the longest to do out of the rest of the stuff. I implemented a few of them just now and here's the result.

Ingame Examples (WIP - Rest of heads will be added soon)

NOTE: These modified skins will be available in a resource pack I'll be providing in the very near future, for modders who wish to use them. I will also update AAA Generals: Rome to include them as well, getting rid of the few clipping issues that were present.
    Last edited by Benjin; January 01, 2019 at 10:26 AM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Happy New Year to you aswell. Fantastic job, congrats on that, it's amazing!!!
    Btw, just for the sake of nitpicking the greek politician clothes you are showing is the Exomis, not chiton or himation If you need some references about armours clothes helmets etc. I have a good library of reenactors and museum pieces and illustrations I can share with you.

Cheers!

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Thanks Tenerife, I didn't know that was an exomis. I just searched "chiton tunic", saw this image and assumed that tunic asset was it since it looked fairly similar.For the Greek Rank 1 politician I wanted to make them look like the Greeks from the event messages. Higher ranked politicians I plan to give different clothing and decorations to, but nothing is finalised yet (e.g. Rank 7 Politician).

Any help is appreciated - if you've got any visual (most useful) or historical references to share, then post them up in this thread.

Forgot to say before - now that the skins are done, the mod will be out within a week or so - it's just a matter of polishing a few existing things up and putting together all the VMDs inside the pack file. Extra stuff like the radiant crown, new diadem, hoplon shield flag, kopis scabbard, armour engravings + decorations and new shield textures will come at a later time through a patch, along with more faction visual diversity (e.g. Epirus, Massilia, Athens).
    Last edited by Benjin; January 01, 2019 at 11:44 AM.

Exomis: the 1 pinned cloth (used only by childrens and poor men like farmers specially in summer

Chiton: 2 pinned cloth (use by everyone and for soldiers (hoplites, not skirmishers wich also could use exomis due to poor tier class)
    Guy on the right.

Old men could also wear long chiton like in the picture above pretty much similar to the one women used to wear.
    Himation: This must be ONLY one use to represent the politicians:

Example of a woman with a chiton under her himation:

Bonus track lol
    The Chlamys cloack

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

I dig the bonus track! I've always liked the look of the traveling cloaks.

I have 2 for reenactment. One in purple and another one more ellaborated in red colour with a black straight line at the botton and plums at the edges so give weight

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

Happy New Year and great news Benjin!

Looks amazing! Can't wait for release!

Wow, seems like a stroke of fate that I just discovered this project so close to release, it looks incredible!

And here's to hoping for some awesome Massalian characters with Gallic influences, I'm starting a new Massalian campaign the second that happens!

Thankyou so much, guys like you are keeping this game alive! It's mods like this that keep me coming back to Rome 2 again and again.

Hopefully this is the week we get this gem!

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Thanks for all the words of encouragement!

Yes, it's coming out this week - I would have worked on and released it during the weekend but I was away from home at the time. I'm back now so it should be done in a few days.
    Last edited by Benjin; January 08, 2019 at 05:36 PM.

No, Thank YOU! for constantly trying to improve this game and bring us this fantastic Masterpiece that's gonna be the biggest and immersion significant mod of this year
    Last edited by Tenerife_Boy; January 08, 2019 at 04:08 PM.

Well we are hitting the weekend. Any news about the progress??

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

I meant to release it today, but there were a few things that took a lot longer than I expected which was annoying. I'll definitely release it this weekend - I'm out for most of tomorrow so I don't know if I'll be able to finish and release it then, but definitely by Sunday.

Anyway, here are a few images of the extra variants showcasing the new heads (young and old), hairs / beards, different combinations of armour styles on different characters to add more visual variety (e.g. bronze, silver, a few leather), new female Egyptian variants (who also change appearance on rank) and some other stuff. Most of the faction leaders in this are around Rank 6 - 7, because I used a mod called "Skidvar's Starting General Ranks" to increase them at the start of the game.

Last edited by Benjin; January 11, 2019 at 08:57 PM.

Thank you for the quick update and most welcome screenshots. Looks like Sunday is gonna be the D day.

Thanks Benjin! It looks amazing!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast