Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Released] AAA: Greek Generals (v1.0.1)

Default Re: [WIP] AAA: Greeks

I just have to say, I'm really liking everything you are doing with this mod. Overall, everything looks amazing. Really liking the upper level ranks with the cataphract equipment.

I really like the idea that you are envisioning the Seleucid generals to be cavalry commanders, as it makes a lot of sense. However, I feel like the first 2 ranks are a little too under armored. I'm certainly not expecting cataphract-level equipment, but I think the bare-sleeved look just doesn't suit them all that much.

Additionally, I'm also not a huge fan of the small shield purely from a historical perspective. The model you're using, the Macedonian pelte, makes sense as a phalangite shield, but not much for a cavalier. If you don't want to use the hoplon model, maybe try the round Roman cavalry shield, as one of your inspiration pictures shows a similar looking shield being used by the cavalry man in gold.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Caius Martius Coriolanus; November 15, 2018 at 06:42 PM.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Caius Martius Coriolanus View Post
    I just have to say, I'm really liking everything you are doing with this mod. Overall, everything looks amazing. Really liking the upper level ranks with the cataphract equipment.

I really like the idea that you are envisioning the Seleucid generals to be cavalry commanders, as it makes a lot of sense. However, I feel like the first 2 ranks are a little too under armored. I'm certainly not expecting cataphract-level equipment, but I think the bare-sleeved look just doesn't suit them all that much.

Additionally, I'm also not a huge fan of the small shield purely from a historical perspective. The model you're using, the Macedonian pelte, makes sense as a phalangite shield, but not much for a cavalier. If you don't want to use the hoplon model, maybe try the round Roman cavalry shield, as one of your inspiration pictures shows a similar looking shield being used by the cavalry man in gold.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks! You've got some good ideas there.

I kind of agree that the totally unsleeved-look doesn't fit them perfectly at the moment. Currently there's a big jump from ranks 3 to 5, where they suddenly don a massive load of armour on their arms - maybe there should be something else covering their arms to make the progression flow better (e.g. sleeves, or some lighter armour on one of their arms - like this Seleucid miniature has).

I'd be willing to give something like the Roman cavalry shield as a replacement, at least for the early ranks. However, I'm not sure if I'd want to give a simpler wooden shield to the mid-late ranks - for now I think I'll keep those later small shields (painted and silver) until I find or create something more suitable and extravagant / rich-looking to fit their ranks.

I forgot to reply to a few other posts from before the Seleucid update (been busy lately, sorry).

Quote Originally Posted by TheGr8Apostate View Post
    Hey, first of all let me preface this by saying, your Rome AAA generals and the styles that followed were amazing...

I do think you have the chance to do something special, especially when you look at how culturally diverse and impressive Egypt was, especially at the time of the start of the game.
    I think for Egypt having a more like 50/50 split and then going higher towards rank up, and maybe faction leader really being VERY Egyptian looking. Yes I know everyone is gonna say well they were a Hellenic kingdom.... and while technically true it wasn't in the sense that they were forcing Hellenic ways onto Egyptians, in fact the inverse is true. The Ptolime dynasty did all they could to assimilate and give credence to their pharaoh title, going as far as adapting they pharaoh customary dress and incestual relations to keep a pure bloodline.

Also with that said, the women generals are an even better mark for you to do something that no one has done or thought of, even if this part were a submod like your (marian, polyibian style addons for rome)

anyways this is gonna be cool regardless, just love history especially that of the cradle of civilization
    Hmm, yeah maybe - I understand what you're saying. I haven't shown the rank 10 yet (still working on it), but I do plan on making that one stand out more from the rest as its own thing, like a faction leader variant; a Ptolemaic Pharaoh (50% Greek, 50% Egyptian - kind of like Cleopatra's commander appearance from vanilla). The politician variants I also plan on gradually increasing the Egyptian influence as they rank up (e.g. wearing Egyptian jewelry / cosmetics, Nemes headwear for rank 10 etc).

As for the Greek women, so far I've (mostly) recycled the female appearances I used for the Roman version, but given them a tiny bit more jewelry (e.g. tiara). However, I made the Spartan women use the more aggressive / olive look from the Daughters of Mars DLC, since I noticed that they complemented the new Spartan heads well and I figured that Spartan women ought to look a bit more tough compared to the other Greek women considering Spartan history.

Greek Women
    Middle (Young is the same but without the tiara / other jewelry + veil)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Old

Spartan Women

Currently, there's a small clipping issue on the Spartan female's left shoulders - I'll be fixing that soon by re-doing the skin weights of the new female politician clothing to fit perfectly.
    Young (Middle is the same but with the tiara / other jewelry + veil)

Old

I don't know what I'm going to do for the Egyptian women yet - I might retain some of their vanilla looks but just add in age progression / some more cosmetics (e.g. kohl on eyes). I may be forced to use the same aggressive-looking heads, since those are good for the General variants (unlike the rest of the Greeks, Egypt allows their women to lead armies / navies ingame).

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Remove James Hetfield's face as Spartan!
    What's wrong with the new Spartan head? I plan to give all Greeks - not just Spartans (otherwise they'll stick out like a sore thumb amongst the rest of their Greek neighbours) - better heads / head textures, since the vanilla ones in my opinion looked pretty bad. I did the same thing with the Romans by giving them the more detailed Roman heads from Total War: Attila.
    Last edited by Benjin; November 16, 2018 at 08:35 AM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Benjin, please bring us the glorious blond-haired, smiling hetaroi from the second image of your Seleucid post! He's a legend and icon for the TW community Perhaps as a Seleucid-only easter egg.Great work!

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    Benjin, please bring us the glorious blond-haired, smiling hetaroi from the second image of your Seleucid post! He's a legend and icon for the TW community Perhaps as a Seleucid-only easter egg.Great work!
    I can always make some variations for different characters, so I could potentially add his style as another variation for a Seleucid character!

Someone asked to see what the mod looks like ingame at the moment, I showed him some screenshots which I'll also show with you guys as well.

Wrath of Sparta

Greeks - Rank 1

Greeks - Rank 5 vs Rank 1, Rank 2

Grand Campaign

Greeks - Rank 1 vs Rank 7

Seleucid Rank 5 vs Egyptian Rank 7

Seleucid Rank 6 vs Rome Rank 8 (Diplomacy)

Seleucid Rank 6 vs Greek Rank 7 (Diplomacy)

Seleucid Rank 6 vs Spartan Rank 7 (Diplomacy)

Seleucid Rank 7 vs Greek Rank 7 (Diplomacy)

Seleucid Rank 7 Besieging Settlement

Seleucid Rank 8 Recruiting

Seleucid Rank 8 vs Egyptian Rank 2 (Diplomacy)

Seleucid Rank 8 vs Seleucid Rank 1 (Diplomacy)

Seleucid Rank 8 Portrait + Family

Seleucid Rank 8, Rank 6, Rank 1 vs Egyptian Rank 6

Seleucid Rank 8 Battle Closeups

Imperator Augustus

Egyptian - Rank 4

Egyptian - Rank 5

New Asset Tests - Ptolemaic Officer Helmet

Close-Ups

Close-Ups (VERY CLOSE)

Top-Down

Thanks for sharing!These look amazing and feel so varied. I'm loving the Seleucid armored genera and the new Ptolemaic helmet asset!

UMCenturion's Avatar Ducenarius

Absolutely amazing stuff Benjin. Great work and cannot wait for it to be released.

Mod Lead - UI/2D Art - Custom Map Editing

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

That's wonderful! I'm very much looking forward to the release, Benjin!

Damn you really made a load of screen for that all new Helmet you built Those poor celts need a helmet upgrade too when exposed side by side like that !

You're making an incredible work and truly making Rome II the touch it needed to be whole!
    Really hoping to see a celto-germanic feature update in the future, there's so much beautiful stuff to add & horrendous vanilla design to replace ;D

Good luck on that & Praise you Benjin !

wow! what a fascinated work you have done!

im really looking forward to see this soon

and may i can see those new Seleucid family tree in the near future too? [+ dei compatible]
    Last edited by servent9; December 09, 2018 at 01:29 AM.

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

Any news?

Eagerly waiting this mod

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Hey guys, sorry for the delay - I decided to take a break from modding for a few weeks, but I'm back working on it again. I'll be making another update in a few days, showing off the Baktrians + Macedonians for feedback.

This is currently the list I have to work through; once they're all done, the mod will be ready for release.

• FINAL
    - New kopis scabbard + crossbelt models + textures
    - New late-Corinthian helmet model + textures
    - New Baktrian Boeotian #34 helmet model + textures
    - New Greek crown / halo model + textures
    - New wrist band models + textures
    - New hoplon shield flag / cloth model + textures
    - New shield pattern textures
    - Separate Dionysius' torso armour (Philip II's) model for high-ranked Macedonian generals
    - Resize crest model to fit Thracian_6 helmet properly without overlapping the engraving textures
    - Resize Iberian cloak to fit armours
    - Re-positioned model variations of existing Corinthian helmets just resting on the head, not pulled down; only for general's campaign map / porthole appearances - in battle they'll be pulled down
    - High hanked torso armour engraving texture variations for each general art set
    - Pteryges model resize to fit Alexander's torso armour
    - Pteryges texture variations
    - Clean Egyptian greave textures
    - BSC linothorax texture variations
    - Persian linothorax texture variations
    - More hair model + texture variations
    - "car_helmet_thracian_sup_painted" helmet variations
    - Greek mid-high ranked politician appearances
    - Fix a few, very minor texture seam issues with Ptolemaic officer helmet

• ABSOLUTE FINAL
    - +30 HD Greek head textures
    - +30 HD Greek old age head textures
    - +5 Spartan head model + texture variations
    - +5 Spartan old age head texture variations
    - All character VariantMeshDefinition files finalised
    - Optimize Pack file
    - Release
    Last edited by Benjin; December 10, 2018 at 09:50 AM.

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

Sounds very good Benjin!

Thanks for the update! Glad you're back at it

Lupo's Avatar Libertus

Hi!

Thumbs up ... wait .... Fingernails chew!

Great news !

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

What the game needs more of With all the geographical and cultural differences between many of the Hellenic polities, it's beyond amazing to have a layer of distinction between all of them. This release is going to be so special!

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Over the past few days I've managed to tick off half of the things on that list I provided - I only need to do the new assets, heads + hairs and the politician variants. Gonna keep the explanations short and sweeter this time since I want to work on it further ASAP.

Macedonians (Wrath of Sparta + Grand Campaign)

Early ranks start off with a lino, gradually move up to heavier muscle cuirass for middle ranks and then finally to the heaviest linothorax for the upper ranks.

However, the last rank I've given appearance-wise a strong resemblance to Alexander the Great. By rank 10, I figured that a General would have gained so much fame / reputation to the point of being legendary. So, I decided to make that uniform look like the penultimate bad-arse himself; that character has usurped his legacy in your alternate history, wearing the icon linothorax / lion helmet.

Macedonian Uniforms

Faction Colouring - "rom_Macedon"

Heads are placeholder until I get them HD-ified

Visual References

Rank 1 (Warm + Cold)

Rank 2 (Warm + Cold)

Rank 3 (Warm + Cold)

Rank 4 (Warm + Cold)
    NOTE:
    The crest is a placeholder; something very much like it will appear, but a bit smaller.

Rank 5 (Warm + Cold)

Rank 6 (Warm + Cold)

Rank 7 (Warm + Cold)

Rank 8 (Warm + Cold)

Rank 9 (Warm + Cold)

Rank 10 (Warm + Cold)
    NOTE:
    I intend to give this torso some shoulder pteryges (the stripes).

Bactrians (Grand Campaign)

Surprisingly, there aren't actually that many depictions of Bactria in artistic works, so I had to make them look relatively similar to the Greek uniforms but with cavalry helmets. However, I did give them their iconic Boeotian helmets which were shown on their coins. The middle ranks currently have a placeholder cavalry helmet, I intend to make an entirely new one for them, based on drawing #33 of this reference image, the one featured on most Bactrian coins (check second reference image below).

Bactrian Uniforms

Faction Colouring - "rom_Baktria"

Heads are placeholder until I get them HD-ified

Visual References

Rank 1

Rank 2

Rank 3

Rank 4

Rank 5
    NOTE: The helmet ranks 4 - 7 are wearing is placeholder; I intend to make an entirely new Bactrian Boeotian helmet from scratch based on drawing #33 of this reference image. It's the one featured on most Bactrian coins.

Rank 6

Rank 7

Rank 8

Rank 9

Rank 10
    Last edited by Benjin; December 12, 2018 at 09:12 AM.

They lok impressive for sure. Hey! at the end you give some M. Cuirasses to macedonians as I suggested back in the days.
    Nice job. Lovely baktrians tho.
    If you're not gonna create new M.Cuirassses then it wouldn't be a bad idea to take some of the RotR new ones for hellenics. Romans in that campaign got some nice ones tho.

Cheers and keep it up !

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast