Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Released] AAA: Greek Generals (v1.0.1)

Default Re: [Released] AAA: Greeks

Another issue I noticed:

When starting a new game as Egypt, you see that Cyrenaika has a female faction leader. In the diplomacy screen, she doesn't open her mouth when talking, like male NPCs or other female Non-AAA characters do. Its the same with egyptian female generals. The male ones say something and use their mouth, the female ones don't.
    So I suspect the whole animation for female mouth is somewhat broken in your mod.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Sorry for the late reply - I've been busy working on a different project outside of modding for the past month (which I hope to link here very soon).

Quote Originally Posted by KLAssurbanipal View Post
    This is an amazing work.
    Love new elements, especially Sydonian (for Egyptians) and Bactrian helmets.

You worked hard.

I have a small suggestion if you are interested. A little inspiration for new helmets. Actually I unfortunately don't have time for that.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Face mask of a Phrygian helmet, private German collection (grand campaign; good for Greeks, Macedonians, Thracians):

Etruscan visor mask (actually Vatican Museum), Vulci, V BC (good for Rise of the Republic):

Antoher Etruscan helmet (San Marino Museum). This one is ine the Rise of the Republic, but look for other interresting crest:

Greek Illyro-Chalcidian bronze helmet (good for Wrath of Sparta):

Late Illyrian type helmet, look at neckguard similar to late Corinthian helmets (good for Wrath of Sparta):

Greek Corinthian bronze helmet with metal horns, from Chiaromonte (good for Wrath of Sparta):

Bronze helmet from Athienou, Archaeological Museum of Nicosia, Cyprus (grand campaign):

Another Phrygian type helmet (grand campaign):

It is similar to that one from Rise of the Republic which you add for Macedon, but that one from RotR has bigger comb and cheeplates:

https://images91.fotosik.pl/110/aa3e1bec9c074d58gen.jpg

Phrygian type helmet with nasal - nose protection (grand campaign):

Another Phrygian type helmet (grand campaign):

Phrygian type helmet with vewry interresting crest (grand campaign):

Another Phrygian type helmet with (probably) Zeus detail (grand campaign):

Phrygo-Attic helmet with swastika, 350-325 BCE, found at Herculanum, Taranto (grand campaign or Rise of the Republic):

Another Phrygo-Attic helmet (grand campaign or Rise of the Republic):

Pilos helmets with various crests, horns, wings and cheekplates (I posted these ones which aren't in the game because 4 Pilos helmets were added in Rise of the Republic)

Helmet with the inscription in Greek King Monouniou found in Lake Ohrid owned by a soldier under King Monouniou 300-280 BC (grand camapign)

Hey, thanks for the suggestions KLA! A lot of those look really interesting and unique, Especially these ones:

That's the sort of stuff I like working on for R2 - stuff that hasn't ever been represented before. It'd be fun to do something more ornate like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Askanius View Post
    Hi Benjin,

in Wrath of Sparta, one of the politicians body texture does not reflect his age (playing as Athens). This happens without any other mod installed, you can see it right at the befinning of the game.
    Attachment 357384
    Yes, I made the bodies and heads separate so that I could quickly mix them up for politicians. The old heads have a slightly greyer texture compared to the body, and I haven't done an old version of the body yet to seamlessly blend with the old heads. It was a minor thing which I assumed not many people would notice, so I left it out for initial release. This will be changed eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Askanius View Post
    Another issue I noticed:

When starting a new game as Egypt, you see that Cyrenaika has a female faction leader. In the diplomacy screen, she doesn't open her mouth when talking, like male NPCs or other female Non-AAA characters do. Its the same with egyptian female generals. The male ones say something and use their mouth, the female ones don't.
    So I suspect the whole animation for female mouth is somewhat broken in your mod.
    It's not the animation that's broken - they use the exact same animations as the other characters. The problem is that, when I re-skin weighted the female heads from Attila's wife variations - so that they could blink eyes and move their heads in a subtle motion to fit the vanilla hair choices (people who used the first release of AAA Generals: Rome might remember that the female portraits were like statues - CA just skin weighted them to one bone so they couldn't move at all) - I didn't bother to skin weight their mouths since I didn't think they would ever need to. However, I decided to use them for the Egyptian female characters since I thought they fit better than the angry-looking ones, therefore they don't move their mouths when acting as commanders of forces on the campaign map.

I have the skin weight 3D project scenes with them in it around on my computer, so I will eventually fix them too when I get time. Skin weighting mouths is slightly longer than skin weighting heads / necks / shoulders / eyelids though.
    Last edited by Benjin; February 23, 2019 at 04:32 AM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Quote Originally Posted by Benjin View Post
    Sorry for the late reply - I've been busy working on a different project outside of modding for the past month (which I hope to link here very soon).
    Have you opted against doing AAA - Carthage?

Quote Originally Posted by Lebanese Dude View Post
    Have you opted against doing AAA - Carthage?
    I realized this question may have come off a little rude. Don't mean to downplay what you're working on right now. Can't wait to see it your creations are always fun.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 20, 2019 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

No, I haven't decided to cancel Carthage - the other project was just work and was just explaining why I was away from modding for a month. My aim is to eventually cover every faction with AAA Generals, including Carthage.

nikossaiz's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: [Released] AAA: Greek Generals (v0.9)

Hello Benjin, really enjoy your mod, along with Jakes' PIGs mod my rome 2 campaigns have a fresh flavour of imerssion! May i ask something? are the Spartan generals supose to look all alike, or i have done something wrong? well , I saw that you are planning an update for them so possible my question is a little late. Anyway, i appreciate all your hard efforts. keep it up!

Hey Benjin can you give some spartans full on beards when you make new heads for them, i know alot of them shaved their moustaches but there were spartans with full on beards also

here is an interesting article about spartans and beards
    https://stefanosskarmintzos.wordpres...he-not-shaven/

“It's so much easier to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey . . .”

- Garrus Vakarian, Mass Effect 2

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by nikossaiz View Post
    Hello Benjin, really enjoy your mod, along with Jakes' PIGs mod my rome 2 campaigns have a fresh flavour of imerssion! May i ask something? are the Spartan generals supose to look all alike, or i have done something wrong? well , I saw that you are planning an update for them so possible my question is a little late. Anyway, i appreciate all your hard efforts. keep it up!
    At the moment, yeah that's what the Spartans look like with the mod - you haven't done anything wrong. I just need to increase the character variation for the Spartans by doing new heads for them, which - now that I've updated the Rise of the Republic mod - will be soon since I want to play as Sparta with the mod myself.

Quote Originally Posted by LegionKarta View Post
    Hey Benjin can you give some spartans full on beards when you make new heads for them, i know alot of them shaved their moustaches but there were spartans with full on beards also

here is an interesting article about spartans and beards
    https://stefanosskarmintzos.wordpres...he-not-shaven/
    I suppose I could for one or two of the characters (out of twenty) to increase variation, yes - I'll consider it.
    Last edited by Benjin; March 19, 2019 at 11:49 AM.

Hey Benjin thanks for the quick replies sorry for bombarding you with question in all the threads, btw the new Rise of the republic update is briliant Taras with the spartan look made them my new favourites

“It's so much easier to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey . . .”

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by LegionKarta View Post
    Hey Benjin thanks for the quick replies sorry for bombarding you with question in all the threads, btw the new Rise of the republic update is briliant Taras with the spartan look made them my new favourites
    Absolutely no problem at all with the questions, always happy to answer them!

Also glad you liked Taras' slight Spartan-influenced style for the RotR Early Greek uniforms - in the near future I may update some of the early rank uniforms for them and Syracuse + Iapygians to differentiate them some more.

nikossaiz's Avatar Decanus

I just need to increase the character variation for the Spartans by doing new heads for them, which - now that I've updated the Rise of the Republic mod - will be soon since I want to play as Sparta with the mod myself.
    ok, perfect! take your time , i hope for a complete/ all factions cover of your mod one day !! Ps. Just a comment, the one head that is already in the mod it was like i play some south american faction. Is ok, but i dont believe that the face of the dorian spartans are so much structure diferrent from say, the dorian cretans or the ones from the syracuse. i mean the clothes and the beards/ hairs shouldnt be the main difference? Anyway again thank you for this great mod!
    Last edited by nikossaiz; March 20, 2019 at 12:24 PM.

Demosthenes26's Avatar Libertus

This mod (and your other ones like it) add so much flavor to the campaign map, battles, and diplomacy! While the generals already are quite visually distinct between factions and ranks, this may be a useful resource for further increasing variation (particularly the tunics) http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Resource-Pack

Oh one more thing totally forgot to ask the other day, its more of a game question then the mod question but maybe you know. When the general has that little stubble beard in the greek mod in my game it looks pixelated it doesnt look like hair but just a drawn black cube do you know which in game setting is for the hair, tried AA but it isnt that and the textures and on high any higher and my game probably wont go that good (again sorry for so many questions)

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Can you show me an image of that? It could just be your resolution not being high enough or the camera being too far away to render the alpha transparency (happens sometimes for portrait windows on the campaign).

Can you show me an image of that? It could just be your resolution not being high enough or the camera being too far away to render the alpha transparency (happens sometimes for portrait windows on the campaign).
    yeah thats it probably i play on 1366x768 (runs well on medium high settings) had a similar problem with MGSVTPP but that was an AA problem so i thought it may be a similar case. Il post a picture later (out of the house atm) but im pretty sure you are right

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by nikossaiz View Post
    ok, perfect! take your time , i hope for a complete/ all factions cover of your mod one day !! Ps. Just a comment, the one head that is already in the mod it was like i play some south american faction. Is ok, but i dont believe that the face of the dorian spartans are so much structure diferrent from say, the dorian cretans or the ones from the syracuse. i mean the clothes and the beards/ hairs shouldnt be the main difference? Anyway again thank you for this great mod!
    Forgot to answer before, sorry - you're not the first one to make a comment about the head I chose for the Spartans. That head was from Total War: ARENA, and I was looking at the references (linked below in the spoiler tags) I was using for Spartans and realised that it looked very similar to what I wanted them to look like, so I decided to use it and also make more variations based on that model later (warp the head + hair model a bit for slightly different facial structure, change colour of hair / skin subtly through retextures etc). However, I do realise that the style sort of clashes with the rest of the Greeks (it was sort of intentional - I wanted to highlight just how... strange / different they were), so I might just decide to get rid of it and instead give the Spartans the same heads I gave to the Greeks, only with beards etc.

Spartan References

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes26 View Post
    This mod (and your other ones like it) add so much flavor to the campaign map, battles, and diplomacy! While the generals already are quite visually distinct between factions and ranks, this may be a useful resource for further increasing variation (particularly the tunics) http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Resource-Pack
    Thanks - yeah, I've seen that resource pack before; quality goes up and down in a few places. I'd be hesitant to use those tunics - the vanilla model used for them I decided not to use since the arm / head holes on the model were rather low-quality. I decided to use the tunic from one of the unused armours instead, but had to edit it a lot to get it to the right sizes etc.
    Last edited by Benjin; March 20, 2019 at 04:19 PM.

Demosthenes26's Avatar Libertus

Thanks - yeah, I've seen that resource pack before; quality goes up and down in a few places. I'd be hesitant to use those tunics - the vanilla model used for them I decided not to use since the arm / head holes on the model were rather low-quality. I decided to use the tunic from one of the unused armours instead, but had to edit it a lot to get it to the right sizes etc.
    Fair enough! That tunic model does look nicer

However, I do realise that the style sort of clashes with the rest of the Greeks (it was sort of intentional - I wanted to highlight just how... strange / different they were), so I might just decide to get rid of it and instead give the Spartans the same heads I gave to the Greeks, only with beards etc.
    Well, I feel like every possible variation adds something to the game. I see the Spartans are far from finished in the current state, but I think would miss something with the new head cut out again.

What's the status of the upcoming expansions for other Greek factions such as Massilia? Can't wait! I mean I can because I have to but... Well you know what I mean...!

I'm definitely for keeping that spartan head !!
    It looks great and really put the spartans aside from other greeks, sure it's the same over and over but as said the spartans are not finished yet so we just have to wait a bit for that head to be reshaped for variations. It'd be a pity to take it out of the mod :O
    There's some great head models in Arena, with super clean textures and smooth modeling -unlike the original Rome2's. Especially for the romans, the plebeians/soldier/veterans head variation have so much details & credibility <3

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Back to working on the mod again - going to finally do the Spartan head variations (the original game only had 5, I'm going to aim for a little over that, maybe include some of the Attila ones as well but edit them to have the Spartan-style beards fit).

Before I do that though, I'm working on a few new custom assets - first one is the high-rank version of the "Parablemata" hoplon shield apron. Apparently it was made out of a thin layer of leather (I thought it was made out of silk, but every book / text I've read says that it was made out of leather) and is supposedly meant to help stop arrows from hitting the legs + feet. The diffuse (colour) texture is WIP; I plan to make lots of different patterns that actually fit the shape of the cloth and also have faction colour masks to help differentiate them. I will also make a blank version as well for other modders to make their own patterns (can easily make shorter versions by painting the alpha transparency layer from the bottom upwards).

Wrath of Sparta - Greek "Parablemata" Shield Apron
    References

3D Asset (WIP)

nCloth Simulation
    - Looking for the basic shape of the thing.

Model + Textures
    - Low-poly Parablemata model with baked details from the high-poly nCloth simulation (low-poly = 200 faces (front + back sides, 100 faces per side), high-poly = 32,000 faces).

Model + Textures
    - Test texture; will improve it later (the checkerboard squares don't align with the shape of the cloth at the moment, and I want some more leather-like details on there, and some more cloth-like ripples).

Model - As you can see from the highlighted geometry, "400" triangles (100 quads for both sides - front and back - so 200 in total)

Ingame Test

Last edited by Benjin; April 23, 2019 at 08:10 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast