Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cornell U. welcome package: check your privilege

Default Cornell U. welcome package: check your privilege

Let's take a look at how our dear liberals are managing education:
    https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=11328

According to the document, if you speak “accented English” you are marginalized or oppressed compared to “‘proper’ English” speakers who are privileged. If your parents are married or “in a heterosexual relationship” you are privileged while “divorced; LGBTQ parent; domestic partnership” and “single parent” individuals are oppressed.

If you are “temporarily able-bodied,” you must have privilege according to the sheet as “people with a physical, mental, emotional, or learning disability” are oppressed. The document also lists “age” as a category, ranking those in their “30s to early 50s” privileged compared to “younger and older” demographics.

Altogether, if an incoming female Cornell student is a racial minority, has an accent, is in their late teens or early 20s, and was raised by a single parent, they are “marginalized or oppressed” in at least five ways despite their background, socioeconomic status, or life experiences.

Note that according to the postmodernist approach, which is where these ideas come from, the value of your opinion depends on the scale of your privilege. Hence if you are a (according to this list):
    Cisgendered, white heterosexual,Christian, middle class, fit, man, with a functioning family and a happy relationship, while also speaking without an accent, your opinion is less valid than those belong to the category of the oppressed (by you).

This is ''Ivy League'', the creme of world education.

Is it worthy being in debt until your late 30s for this liberal ?

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Cornell U. welcome package: check your privilege

This is absolutely dumb and the reverse of everything liberalism is meant to stand for. I get that in high academia, there is some relevance in 'researching' and theorizing approaches such as this, but when it comes to actual policy implementation its consistently mind-blowing that certain groups or people think this a good idea. Even without today's political context of a (understandable) backlash to such things. Its where i'll agree that liberal extremists (as this is what i would deem them) go way too far, for no real gain and actually cause more hurt than help by tarring then other liberal ideals and groups with the same brush in peoples minds. This is slightly ranty i know- i've had whiskey , but it makes me rather annoyed.
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

I speak with a Lancashire accent, I demand my rights!

Uh, do we have a source to this other than "Campusreform.org"?
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    This is absolutely dumb and the reverse of everything liberalism is meant to stand for. I get that in high academia, there is some relevance in 'researching' and theorizing approaches such as this, but when it comes to actual policy implementation its consistently mind-blowing that certain groups or people think this a good idea. Even without today's political context of a (understandable) backlash to such things. Its where i'll agree that liberal extremists (as this is what i would deem them) go way too far, for no real gain and actually cause more hurt than help by tarring then other liberal ideals and groups with the same brush in peoples minds. This is slightly ranty i know- i've had whiskey , but it makes me rather annoyed.

Oh Dante, you are just saying that because you scored 15/15 on the privilege scale, aren't you? That would invalidate your opinion. Unless we count Scottish as ''accented English''. I love how there's a double penalty for white people and Western Europeans.

Remember the old ''let's value people as invididuals regardless of race and creed''? Scratch that.

Quote Originally Posted by 95thrifleman View Post
    I speak with a Lancashire accent, I demand my rights!
    Yeah I'm not sure if that counts either. Too white, too Western European.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    Uh, do we have a source to this other than "Campusreform.org"?
    They made the report, so no.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; September 22, 2018 at 02:29 PM.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

7\15? Never realised that I rank so high in the oppression olympics. Better move to the US ad cry about being oppressed.
    Absolute madness.

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    7\15? Never realised that I rank so high in the oppression olympics. Better move to the US ad cry about being oppressed.
    Absolute madness.
    Are you Jewish? You could demand a specific category for historical systemic oppression.

Geleco's Avatar Domesticus

University departments may as well be independent, Ivy League or not.

This is typical bleeding-heart liberal college campus crap. Not sure why it warranted a thread.

The forum is dying and it's a political trend in universities. Why not?

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

actually, as a white, cis, straight etc man, society does value you more, for no other reason than who you are, not what you achieved. but glad the people who never where on the wrong side of this have something to whine about. poor oppressed white male majority.

Funny thing is, I agree with the person who made this nonsense. Privilege exists and must be combated.

Privilege is not combated by being condescending to college students who will form the intellectual vanguard of the next century. That is how the alt-right began.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    actually, as a white, cis, straight etc man, society does value you more, for no other reason than who you are, not what you achieved. but glad the people who never where on the wrong side of this have something to whine about. poor oppressed white male majority.

As a level 8 oppressed person I believe that I have the right to say that this whole thing is bollocks. So unless you are a level 9 or above oppressed person, my opinion is more important than yours, and I say that you are wrong. Please take your privilige elsewhere.

German vs Jewish? He gets a -7000000000000 penalty.

Btw, this is actually serious. In the context of your discussion, Hannibal's opinion would be automatically invalidated by his being German.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; September 22, 2018 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geleco View Post
    Funny thing is, I agree with the person who made this nonsense. Privilege exists and must be combated.

Privilege is not combated by being condescending to college students who will form the intellectual vanguard of the next century. That is how the alt-right began.
    imagine that, an upscale university educating on social issues. will no one think of the white children!

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    As a level 8 oppressed person I believe that I have the right to say that this whole thing is bollocks. So unless you are a level 9 or above oppressed person, my opinion is more important than yours, and I say that you are wrong. Please take your privilige elsewhere.
    you making light of oppression because you never experienced it shows quite well where the bollocks is buried. sorry, you aint no mel brooks.
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; September 22, 2018 at 04:41 PM.

delete plz

If you think some corny packet is the best way to educate rich kids about privilege then you have a very different view of education than I do.

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Oh Dante, you are just saying that because you scored 15/15 on the privilege scale, aren't you? That would invalidate your opinion. Unless we count Scottish as ''accented English''. I love how there's a double penalty for white people and Western Europeans.

Remember the old ''let's value people as invididuals regardless of race and creed''? Scratch that.
    Hey only 12/15 if that counts? But aye- surely the fact too that i'm losing my Scottish accent (according to homelanders) means i'd be doubly oppressed? Forced to conform! Freeeedom!
    Also anyone looked at the appearance section? The hell - that's all subjective crap 'beautiful'/'handsome'... Its not about privilege as sections of it are merely a series of subjective judgments that sort of render any potential worth of the test (if there is any- i personally doubt it) in terms of being a device to remedy perceptions of 'privilege'. Whose call is it to make that the person in front of them is 'handsome' and thus is higher on the scale? That demeans their own personal experience- you can be 'beautiful' to someone and still have a shite life with few opportunities.

Again getting my rant on- its why this type of liberalism when displayed in these contexts is a complete farce, making a mockery of what liberalism should be. The pursuit of everyone individually being of equal worth and potential- regardless of their circumstances. Your spot on when you say what happened to the cornerstone of being a liberal. What's worse is things like this actively undermine the liberal social contract towards everyone being of equal value, no one being 'better' or 'worse' but an aspiration for true equality- as through its selectiveness it fuels a reaction that will (as we've seen happen in some areas) tip the scale back even further away from the concept.

I mean heck, we have issues in the west in terms of stagnating wages and living standards for everyone who is an 'average' person (and this will have a further knock on to the wealthy down the line, and the poor now even worse). If in the face of this issue and those like it (Polarisation of wealth, changing nature of work etc) we instead of acting together as a whole to provide sustainable and stable solutions that benefit everybody, instead devolve into single minded interest groups, pushing their own small agendas at the expense of others, then the whole ideology of liberalism, fairness, equality will collapse as we see a political and social context reminiscent of Weimar Germany's Reichstag response to the Great Depression- narrow interest groups of the center, left and liberals fight among themselves over the scraps, furthering the depression, weakening the response to it and forcing those 'left out' to seek solutions elsewhere by framing the context of the debate in terms of an oppositional framework where there are winners and losers.

And yes i realize i've gone from 0 to Germany in a post about one college criteria for privilege, but to me this is a case study of where certain liberals have gone wrong and of what overall this is leading to (i.e. the collapse of the traditional liberal values that created modern western society and have sustained it thus far).
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I would give you rep Hannibal for your unironic support of racial and sexual discrimination, but I've been a bad boy or was it because I was born wrong? For you either works.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    you making light of oppression because you never experienced it shows quite well where the bollocks is buried. sorry, you aint no mel brooks.
    And there you go imposing your opinion on me and ignoring mine, just because I'm a level 8 oppressed person. Woe is me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    Hey only 12/15 if that counts? But aye- surely the fact too that i'm losing my Scottish accent (according to homelanders) means i'd be doubly oppressed? Forced to conform! Freeeedom!
    Also anyone looked at the appearance section? The hell - that's all subjective crap 'beautiful'/'handsome'... Its not about privilege as sections of it are merely a series of subjective judgments that sort of render any potential worth of the test (if there is any- i personally doubt it) in terms of being a device to remedy perceptions of 'privilege'. Whose call is it to make that the person in front of them is 'handsome' and thus is higher on the scale? That demeans their own personal experience- you can be 'beautiful' to someone and still have a shite life with few opportunities.

Again getting my rant on- its why this type of liberalism when displayed in these contexts is a complete farce, making a mockery of what liberalism should be. The pursuit of everyone individually being of equal worth and potential- regardless of their circumstances. Your spot on when you say what happened to the cornerstone of being a liberal. What's worse is things like this actively undermine the liberal social contract towards everyone being of equal value, no one being 'better' or 'worse' but an aspiration for true equality- as through its selectiveness it fuels a reaction that will (as we've seen happen in some areas) tip the scale back even further away from the concept.

I mean heck, we have issues in the west in terms of stagnating wages and living standards for everyone who is an 'average' person (and this will have a further knock on to the wealthy down the line, and the poor now even worse). If in the face of this issue and those like it (Polarisation of wealth, changing nature of work etc) we instead of acting together as a whole to provide sustainable and stable solutions that benefit everybody, instead devolve into single minded interest groups, pushing their own small agendas at the expense of others, then the whole ideology of liberalism, fairness, equality will collapse as we see a political and social context reminiscent of Weimar Germany's Reichstag response to the Great Depression- narrow interest groups of the center, left and liberals fight among themselves over the scraps, furthering the depression, weakening the response to it and forcing those 'left out' to seek solutions elsewhere by framing the context of the debate in terms of an oppositional framework where there are winners and losers.

And yes i realize i've gone from 0 to Germany in a post about one college criteria for privilege, but to me this is a case study of where certain liberals have gone wrong and of what overall this is leading to (i.e. the collapse of the traditional liberal values that created modern western society and have sustained it thus far).

hey, you figured out that privilege is bestowed by absolutely arbitrary measures, and thats the problem! big hand!

and i have to burst your bubble, but you cant solve problems without looking at underlying issues. because there is more than just economic privilege. initially, i was willing to accept that moderate progressives may just have neglected social issues, relying on established voter preference to, well, know whats in their own best interest.

unfortunately, the fact that conservatives are increasingly relying on scapegoating instead of offering solutions to these very same issues, had me conclude that playing it nice and uncontroversial is no longer viable.

and really, the weimar republic? you bring that up to blame political divide on those who bring to light societal issues? here is the thing: these issues exist. you cant ignore them, just to pretend there is no division.

no offense, but read up on interwar germany, you will find the parallels are in the rise of reactionaries, not in combating them. thats what sunk the ship, the lack of opposition, and a makeup that stunted a democracy in the cradle.

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    I would give you rep Hannibal for your unironic support of racial and sexual discrimination, but I've been a bad boy or was it because I was born wrong? For you either works.
    no apology needed, i know you would support racial and sexual discrimination quite unironically

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast