Thread: Strange textures on unitpart models

Default Strange textures on unitpart models

Hello,

I tried to assign a new texture to an existing unitpart model, but I encountered a problem. So for example I want a new texture for the Fots "round jingasa".
    1.) I copied the tex folder inside the "round jingasa" folder located in the unitparts folder.
    2.) I placed the copied tex folder inside the "round jingasa" folder and renamed it ("tex_2")
    3.) Then I opened diffuse_map.dds inside the copied folder. I changed the file according to my whishes, for example, using another colour
    4.) Inside the unit editor, my new texture Variant "round jingasa_tex2" is there. But when I use it on a unit, the texture ist blurry and strange. Only when I zoom in very close, my new texture looks like I intended.

So, what's the Problem here? Maybe because I didn't changed the normal map?

Default Re: Strange textures on unitpart models

Hey there! I'm having this problem as well... have you got any luck on solving it?

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

With what settings did you both save the dds? It sounds to me, that the MipMaps (different level of details of a texture depending on distance) are mixed up.

Guten Abend Primergy! Veteran hier! ;-)
    I try to write in english.
    is about your last comment on this topic.
    For example. When I'm going to save the changes I made to the textures, with Photoshop, in the diffuse.dds.
    What option about MipMaps should I choose in the settings? The problem is that I don't see any MipMaps, I see only one diffuse.dds.
    Thanks in advance!
    Greetings from NRW!

Quote Originally Posted by bravo38 View Post
    Guten Abend Primergy! Veteran hier! ;-)
    I try to write in english.
    is about your last comment on this topic.
    For example. When I'm going to save the changes I made to the textures, with Photoshop, in the diffuse.dds.
    What option about MipMaps should I choose in the settings? The problem is that I don't see any MipMaps, I see only one diffuse.dds.
    Thanks in advance!
    Greetings from NRW!
    My process of saving textures: edit stuff in photoshop, save as .tga file. Open paint.net program (free to download) and open the .tga file, then save the file as .dds (choose BC1 (DXT1) and tick the 'Generate Mip Maps' box, you can also save as BC2 (DXT3) for better edge quality, but your file will double in size). Difusse.dds is the file name, generating mip maps is an option for saving as a .dds file. This process might seem a bit silly and long, but it's the only satisfactory way for me as photoshop usually messes something up with .dds files when I want to save them.
    Wanna play as minor clans from expanded Japan by unamie5? Now you can: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=428505886

Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Shogun 2 Mod

Hi Collateral_dmg,
    thank a loooooot for your tipps! I will try it! :-)
    Nice Sunday!

I can believe it!! Collateral, you are the best! you made my day!!! It worked!!
    So long time facing this problem and now it is solved!!! thanks to youuu!!
    all the best for you!! :-)

Why you don't use just BOB to covert .tga to .dds?
    Wolf girl who likes to draw anime girls ❤️ DeviantArt, Twitter
    Also mad creator of

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
    TWCenter Forum, MODDB, Patreon

Hi Sara! I didnt know that with BOB can one convert it. Good to know it! Thanks!