Thread: Unit Texture help needed! Stuck and unsure what to do

Default Unit Texture help needed! Stuck and unsure what to do

Hey everyone, I’ve been making my own personal mod for Rome total war in my own time. I have successfully gotten ridden of the super faction lines and made senate it’s own faction. I have also changed the name of the faction from the senate to republic of Rome.

I added some new units and have done a few things only to realise the senate or republic of Rome units textures aren’t loading when zoomed out, they just look like grey ghosts or shadows. I’ve tried nearly everything and have searched on google with no luck. The other factions are fine it’s just this one.

Anyone that can help me would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time guys.

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Unit Texture help needed! Stuck and unsure what to do

I think its a problem with sprites.The unit you created doesn't have sprites.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyroman View Post
    I think its a problem with sprites.The unit you created doesn't have sprites.
    I forgot to add the new units I added aren’t anything to do with Romans but the other factions, so I have not touched the Roman senate units at all they are the same like before. The unit card, unit infor are fine and they are recruitable only problem is the texture doesn’t load when zoomed out in battle.

Quote Originally Posted by KingMarshmellow View Post
    I forgot to add the new units I added aren’t anything to do with Romans but the other factions, so I have not touched the Roman senate units at all they are the same like before. The unit card, unit infor are fine and they are recruitable only problem is the texture doesn’t load when zoomed out in battle.
    Please give me the dbm with only the unit that you have problems with.Pretty much open a new notepad and copy paste the code of the unit you added.I will see it once i'm back.

Please give me the dbm with only the unit that you have problems with.Pretty much open a new notepad and copy paste the code of the unit you added.I will see it once i'm back.
    I'm having issues with all the Roman Senate units so here's an example:

type roman_hastati
    skeleton fs_javelinman, fs_swordsman
    indiv_range 40
    texture romans_julii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_hastati_julii.tga
    texture romans_brutii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_hastati_brutii.tga
    texture romans_scipii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_hastati_scipii.tga
    texture republic_of_rome, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_hastati_senate.tgas
    texture slave, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_hastati_slave.tga
    model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_hastati_high.cas, 15
    model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_hastati_med.cas, 30
    model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_hastati_low.cas, 40
    model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_roman_hastati_lowest.cas, max
    model_sprite slave, 60.0, data/sprites/slave_roman_hastati_sprite.spr
    model_sprite republic_of_rome, 60.0, data/sprites/republic_of_rome_roman_hastati_sprite.spr
    model_sprite romans_scipii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_scipii_roman_hastati_sprite.spr
    model_sprite romans_brutii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_brutii_roman_hastati_sprite.spr
    model_sprite romans_julii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_julii_roman_hastati_sprite.spr
    model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

I have gone through the files before and changed the name to republic of rome so I didn't have any issues before with that. I don't have any issues with the new units I added but ever since I added them I checked the roman senate and the texture thing started happening. Or it could be something else that triggered it I'm unsure.

Do you want a dmb of one of the new units as well?

the s after tga in the republic of rome line is also gone now and still not working

Quote Originally Posted by KingMarshmellow View Post
    I'm having issues with all the Roman Senate units so here's an example:

type roman_hastati
    skeleton fs_javelinman, fs_swordsman
    indiv_range 40
    texture romans_julii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_hastati_julii.tga
    texture romans_brutii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_hastati_brutii.tga
    texture romans_scipii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_hastati_scipii.tga
    texture republic_of_rome, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_hastati_senate.tgas
    texture slave, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_hastati_slave.tga
    model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_hastati_high.cas, 15
    model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_hastati_med.cas, 30
    model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_roman_hastati_low.cas, 40
    model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_roman_hastati_lowest.cas, max
    model_sprite slave, 60.0, data/sprites/slave_roman_hastati_sprite.spr
    model_sprite republic_of_rome, 60.0, data/sprites/republic_of_rome_roman_hastati_sprite.spr
    model_sprite romans_scipii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_scipii_roman_hastati_sprite.spr
    model_sprite romans_brutii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_brutii_roman_hastati_sprite.spr
    model_sprite romans_julii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_julii_roman_hastati_sprite.spr
    model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

I have gone through the files before and changed the name to republic of rome so I didn't have any issues before with that. I don't have any issues with the new units I added but ever since I added them I checked the roman senate and the texture thing started happening. Or it could be something else that triggered it I'm unsure.

Do you want a dmb of one of the new units as well?
    In the folder of the game there is a subfolder called sprites.I guess you cannot see it because you haven't unpacked the "packs" subfolder in where the "sprites" subfolder is.The sprite "model_sprite republic_of_rome, 60.0, data/sprites/republic_of_rome_roman_hastati_sprite.spr" doesn't exist and that's why the unit from affar appears like that.Thats the source of your error.Just put back the vanilla sprite "romans_senate_roman_hastati_sprite.spr".I hope i explained it clearly to you and you will understand it.You can actually create sprites but it's a difficult process.Just replace all the sprites you changed to vanilla for all your new units and your problem will be solved.
    Last edited by crazyroman; September 19, 2018 at 12:44 PM.

In the folder of the game there is a subfolder called sprites.I guess you cannot see it because you haven't unpacked the "packs" subfolder in where the "sprites" subfolder is.The sprite "model_sprite republic_of_rome, 60.0, data/sprites/republic_of_rome_roman_hastati_sprite.spr" doesn't exist and that's why the unit from affar appears like that.Thats the source of your error.Just put back the vanilla sprite "romans_senate_roman_hastati_sprite.spr".I hope i explained it clearly to you and you will understand it.You can actually create sprites but it's a difficult process.Just replace all the sprites you changed to vanilla for all your new units and your problem will be solved.
    I did that and it still didn't work how ever I have found the problem because of this. in the dmb I had all the romans senate sprite lines pointing towards ones called republic_of_rome ones, when I actually have not changed the sprites name to that itself it's still sitting at romans_senate etc. I have changed them all and its working fine.

Thanks heaps for you're help without it I wouldn't of spotted it, i'm still new to modding Rome and only know basics and off tutorials.

Another thing I'd like to add, do you know if its possible or if you could point me in the right direction how to port your'e rome total war mod to Alexander I heard you can have more factions and less limitations if I do so, I could be wrong but haven't found anyone who has done it successfully.