Thread: "Abilities at a glance". How to add them?

Default "Abilities at a glance". How to add them?

So I have decided to help people fleshing out a mod that has been out for a long time (BOTET). Althought I am not experienced in Medieval 2 TW modding, I at least wanna give it a chance to at least fix consistency issues.

To start off I want to address the issue of the lack of consistency regarding the "Abilities at a glance" that you can find in the descriptions of any unit. Most units don't even have the "Abilities at a glance" in there, rendering you from valuable information.

Question is, how do you go by adding this? Can anyone tell me?

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Default Re: "Abilities at a glance". How to add them?

sure here is a list of abilities you can add
    Code:
    ; attributes    A miscellanious list of attributes and abilities the unit may have. Including;               sea_faring = can board ships; can_swim = can swim across rivers
    ;               hide_forest, hide_improved_forest, hide_anywhere   = defines where the unit can hide
    ;               can_sap = Can dig tunnels under walls
    ;               frighten_foot, frighten_mounted = Cause fear to certain nearby unit types
    ;               can_run_amok = Unit may go out of control when riders lose control of animals
    ;               general_unit = The unit can be used for a named character's bodyguard
    ;               cantabrian_circle = The unit has this special ability
    ;               no_custom = The unit may not be selected in custom battles
    ;               command = The unit carries a legionary eagle, and gives bonuses to nearby units
    ;               mercenary_unit = The unit is s mercenary unit available to all factions
    ;               is_peasant = unknown
    ;               druid = Can do a special morale raising chant
    ;               power_charge = unkown
    ;               free_upkeep_unit = Unit can be supported free in a city
    and the red line is where and how you add them
    Code:
    type             Feudal Knights
    dictionary       Feudal_Knights      ; Feudal Knights
    category         cavalry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       Heavy
    banner faction   main_cavalry
    banner holy      crusade_cavalry
    soldier          Feudal_Knights, 32, 0, 1
    mount            barded horse
    mount_effect     elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, can_formed_charge, knight
    formation        2, 4.4, 3, 6, 2, square, wedge
    stat_health      1, 0
    stat_pri         10, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    ;stat_pri_ex      0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         11, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
    ;stat_sec_ex      0, 0, 0
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  7, 5, 4, metal
    ;stat_armour_ex   7, 8, 0, 0, 5, 4, 4, metal
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        5
    stat_ground      0, -2, -4, 0
    stat_mental      9, impetuous, trained
    stat_charge_dist 45
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 730, 250, 120, 95, 730, 4, 180
    armour_ug_levels 3, 4
    armour_ug_models Feudal_Knights, Feudal_Knights_ug1
    ownership        england, scotland, france, hre, denmark, spain, portugal, milan, venice, papal_states, hungary, slave
    era 0            england, france, hre, denmark, spain, portugal, milan, venice,  hungary
    era 1            scotland
    keep in mind the comma after each attribute that is followed by another abn the space between the comma and the next attribute

good luck
    Last edited by ♔atthias♔; September 18, 2018 at 12:29 PM.
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by ♔atthias♔ View Post
    sure here is a list of abilities you can add
    Code:
    ; attributes    A miscellanious list of attributes and abilities the unit may have. Including;               sea_faring = can board ships; can_swim = can swim across rivers
    ;               hide_forest, hide_improved_forest, hide_anywhere   = defines where the unit can hide
    ;               can_sap = Can dig tunnels under walls
    ;               frighten_foot, frighten_mounted = Cause fear to certain nearby unit types
    ;               can_run_amok = Unit may go out of control when riders lose control of animals
    ;               general_unit = The unit can be used for a named character's bodyguard
    ;               cantabrian_circle = The unit has this special ability
    ;               no_custom = The unit may not be selected in custom battles
    ;               command = The unit carries a legionary eagle, and gives bonuses to nearby units
    ;               mercenary_unit = The unit is s mercenary unit available to all factions
    ;               is_peasant = unknown
    ;               druid = Can do a special morale raising chant
    ;               power_charge = unkown
    ;               free_upkeep_unit = Unit can be supported free in a city
    and the red line is where and how you add them
    Code:
    type             Feudal Knights
    dictionary       Feudal_Knights      ; Feudal Knights
    category         cavalry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       Heavy
    banner faction   main_cavalry
    banner holy      crusade_cavalry
    soldier          Feudal_Knights, 32, 0, 1
    mount            barded horse
    mount_effect     elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, can_formed_charge, knight
    formation        2, 4.4, 3, 6, 2, square, wedge
    stat_health      1, 0
    stat_pri         10, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    ;stat_pri_ex      0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         11, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
    ;stat_sec_ex      0, 0, 0
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  7, 5, 4, metal
    ;stat_armour_ex   7, 8, 0, 0, 5, 4, 4, metal
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        5
    stat_ground      0, -2, -4, 0
    stat_mental      9, impetuous, trained
    stat_charge_dist 45
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 730, 250, 120, 95, 730, 4, 180
    armour_ug_levels 3, 4
    armour_ug_models Feudal_Knights, Feudal_Knights_ug1
    ownership        england, scotland, france, hre, denmark, spain, portugal, milan, venice, papal_states, hungary, slave
    era 0            england, france, hre, denmark, spain, portugal, milan, venice,  hungary
    era 1            scotland
    keep in mind the comma after each attribute that is followed by another abn the space between the comma and the next attribute

good luck
    Hello! Thanks for replying. I have been studying the data/text files and I've come across the accurate texts for the "Abilities at a glance" texts. However, I have noticed something. For mental stat that is either number 3-7, no text comes up. Not even like "Normal Morale" or something like that. Is there a way to directly influence how these texts are being handled? Or is it illegal and hard coded?

But I manage to understand how these texts work and it's stupid. You should be able to manually edit and add these texts at will.

Also, some details refuse to appear at all when you right click a unit. Infact the panel that says "Abilities at a glance" doesn't even appear despite when you recruit the unit a set of abilities are being displayed (like in custom when you mouse over a unit), but not when right clicking a unit in battle. Why is that?
    Last edited by frolof; September 19, 2018 at 06:06 AM.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by frolof View Post
    Hello! Thanks for replying. I have been studying the data/text files and I've come across the accurate texts for the "Abilities at a glance" texts. However, I have noticed something. For mental stat that is either number 3-7, no text comes up. Not even like "Normal Morale" or something like that. Is there a way to directly influence how these texts are being handled? Or is it illegal and hard coded?

But I manage to understand how these texts work and it's stupid. You should be able to manually edit and add these texts at will.

Also, some details refuse to appear at all when you right click a unit. Infact the panel that says "Abilities at a glance" doesn't even appear despite when you recruit the unit a set of abilities are being displayed (like in custom when you mouse over a unit), but not when right clicking a unit in battle. Why is that?
    I do not know mate I am not that knowledge able about MTW2 modding
    I will ask a morderator to move this thread where you can get better help
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by ♔atthias♔ View Post
    I do not know mate I am not that knowledge able about MTW2 modding
    I will ask a morderator to move this thread where you can get better help
    Thank you friend. However I might have noticed some things. I altered the numbers in "stat_ground" effects to a more consistent number and as such it fixed the "abilities at a glance" to dissapear. It seems that it can break the panel if a number is not consistent. Anyone more experienced can quote me if I am wrong.

[EDIT]: Naturally, that is not always the case. Gosh this whole "Abilities at a glance" is confusing. Wonder why they didn't make it so you could manually write it in a .txt file.
    Last edited by frolof; September 19, 2018 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frolof View Post
    Thank you friend. However I might have noticed some things. I altered the numbers in "stat_ground" effects to a more consistent number and as such it fixed the "abilities at a glance" to dissapear. It seems that it can break the panel if a number is not consistent. Anyone more experienced can quote me if I am wrong.

[EDIT]: Naturally, that is not always the case. Gosh this whole "Abilities at a glance" is confusing. Wonder why they didn't make it so you could manually write it in a .txt file.
    Nah, what happened is that the "combat bonus in X" displays only if the value of X in stat ground is a substantially notable value. If they're just 1 or 2 it won't display.
    About your question in general, i'm pretty sure it's hard coded and there's nothing you can do about it, but maybe someone more knowledgeable will correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stannis Baratheon View Post
    Nah, what happened is that the "combat bonus in X" displays only if the value of X in stat ground is a substantially notable value. If they're just 1 or 2 it won't display.
    About your question in general, i'm pretty sure it's hard coded and there's nothing you can do about it, but maybe someone more knowledgeable will correct me.
    But waht's so weird is that just from changing a -1 number in stat_ground can glitch the "Abilities in a glance", or something. Because changing a number from -1 to -2 fixes the issue.