Thread: Archers

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Default Archers

Where can I recruit these guys? I am playing Rome and 50 turns in and no access to archers.
    \\
    Thanks!

Default Re: Archers

I think the Romans can recruit them as Auxiliary unit after researching the Augustan reforms

Quote Originally Posted by KampfKeks510 View Post
    I think the Romans can recruit them as Auxiliary unit after researching the Augustan reforms
    Damn...that is a long time

Decanus

may have to hire them as Mercs from other areas, up North in the German area, they have some good archers. May have to take their town to get their archers.

You can use mercenary Cretan Archers instead. I think you can get them in Greece and obviously on Crete.
    Quote Originally Posted by airborne guy View Post
    Damn...that is a long time

Alexander78's Avatar Campidoctor
    Civitate Content Emeritus

airborne guy
    If you play for ROME, you have the province of Tiberius Florus (Islands) under your control from the very beginning. At the beginning of the company, the capital of this province Caralis is Civitas Occupata, rebuilding it into Romanized Civitas Foederata. You will be able to hire Sardinian Archers. How strong they are I don't know because never used them. To hire them you need to send an army to this province by sea, it takes time, but otherwise will not work. So, you have the opportunity to hire archers almost at the very beginning of the game, if you need them.
    Last edited by Alexander78; September 19, 2018 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander78 View Post
    airborne guy
    If you play for ROME, you have the province of Tiberius Florus (Islands) under your control from the very beginning. At the beginning of the company, the capital of this province Caralis is Civitas Occupata, rebuilding it into Romanized Civitas Foederata. You will be able to hire Sardinian Archers. How strong they are I don't know because never used them. To hire them you need to send an army to this province by sea, it takes time, but otherwise will not work. So, you have the opportunity to hire archers almost at the very beginning of the game, if you need them.
    Was not aware of that, so does this mean that only Allied building models can recruit archers, if the province allows it?

Was not aware of that, so does this mean that only Allied building models can recruit archers, if the province allows it?
    Yes. The Roman company is quite stingy on archers, you are faced with this in your company. If we talk about atypical units for Rome, such as archers, they can be hired only in those regions where it allows allied buildings. You won't find them in the Roman occupation or proconsul buildings.
    Last edited by Alexander78; September 19, 2018 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander78 View Post
    Yes. The Roman company is quite stingy on archers, you are faced with this in your company. If we talk about atypical units for Rome, such as archers, they can be hired only in those regions where it allows allied buildings. You won't find them in the Roman occupation or proconsul buildings.
    So the Allied buildings in foreign territory recruits the Auxillia troops?

Yes, that's how I hired allied Iberian spearmen, cavalry and swordsmen in the occupied territories. I have not moved very deep on the map of the company, I write about what I know at the moment.

For the Romans in the early part:

- the State and Tribute capital buildings allow recruitment of Hastati, Principes, Triarii and Equites
    - the Allied capital buildings allow recruitment of AoR units
    - the Independent capital buildings don't allow any recruitment

Once you have researched Cohort Organisation it changes and you get the Auxilia troops and legions, and need Divided Assignment and Military Colony buildings to recruit legions. Check the building browser for a settlement and you'll see what units you can recruit from each building.

Quote Originally Posted by Swarbs View Post

- the State and Tribute capital buildings allow recruitment of Hastati, Principes, Triarii and Equites

Once you have researched Cohort Organisation it changes and you get the Auxilia troops and legions, and need Divided Assignment and Military Colony buildings to recruit legions. Check the building browser for a settlement and you'll see what units you can recruit from each building.
    WoW now that makes more sense. I think that I will start a new campaign now!

Thanks

...need Divided Assignment...to recruit legions.
    I didn't know about that either. Thank you for the information, Swarbs
    Last edited by Alexander78; September 21, 2018 at 03:32 PM.

I cant recruit any Auxillia troops with the Allied building tree. I am at LvL 4 and no units, not even 1

I cant recruit any Auxillia troops with the Allied building tree. I am at LvL 4 and no units, not even 1
    Main chains no longer provide recruitment (for the most part and capitals being an exception). Auxiliaries can be recruited from military recruitment chains - stables, drill fields, missile ranges and castra
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Main chains no longer provide recruitment (for the most part and capitals being an exception). Auxiliaries can be recruited from military recruitment chains - stables, drill fields, missile ranges and castra
    Then how do I create Sardinian archers? Or did you guys take them out?