Thread: Geomod just crash when i try to save my progress in Geomod?

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Geomod just crash when i try to save my progress in Geomod?

Hello, i have used Geomod successfully in the past with Warcraft: Total War and added about 42 regions to the map by THC, moved regions around, moved units and added landbridges etc - but that was before adding lots of rebels and resources to the mod.

In order to be able to start up the mod in Geomod, i first had to remove all the rebels and resources in the descr_strat-file - and it would start up and let me do edits.

But - it choose to CTD whenever saving anything and as such it is still unusable..

I am guessing this could be due to the descr_regions-file as there are lots of rebel-entries there, or resources there - but i am not sure?

Issue is i want to fix some issues on the map and replace a region but the Geomod progress cannot be saved without the program crashing..
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; September 17, 2018 at 09:01 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Geomod just crash when i try to save my progress in Geomod?

1. When working on a mod for the first time make a back up, then open it in Geomod and save it.
    2. If it freezes when saving note down the percentage and have a look in the manual what the reason could be.
    3. Now copy the text and world folder from your back up into the tested set up plus all the 'loose' files in the data folder of the back up.
    4. Address the error, make a back up of the files\folders mentioned and test again.

The freezes are usually due to to formatting 'sloppiness' - the tool does not allow for variance from the correct code formatting, unlike the game. A simple missing or surplus comma in the resource section of descr_strat is one of the most common errors.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    1. When working on a mod for the first time make a back up, then open it in Geomod and save it.
    2. If it freezes when saving note down the percentage and have a look in the manual what the reason could be.
    3. Now copy the text and world folder from your back up into the tested set up plus all the 'loose' files in the data folder of the back up.
    4. Address the error, make a back up of the files\folders mentioned and test again.

The freezes are usually due to to formatting 'sloppiness' - the tool does not allow for variance from the correct code formatting, unlike the game. A simple missing or surplus comma in the resource section of descr_strat is one of the most common errors.
    What is the screen supposed to look like when it "freezes"?

For me, it doesn't like freeze i think - it's more like a screen shows up saying "the program has encountered an error" and then it just exits.

So it's more of an exit than a Freeze?
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Blog Entries

When saving in Geomod there is a progress counter showing percentages that stops when the error message shows, hence the term 'freezing', eg not progressing anymore.

This happens to me when I change or create rebellious characters.
    The solution I use is the following: whenever I make any changes to rebel characters I make them directly in the file descr_strat.TXT (Geomod \ M2TW_files \ mods \ meumedieval \ data \ world \ maps \ campaign \ imperial_campaign \ descr_strat)
    from what I was able to deduce, GEOMOD after a certain size of the file descr_strat.txt becomes unable to manipulate the part below the rebel populations, corrupting the script and causing the error in the rescue.
    as a safety measure I always run the geomod debug before saving.

Hope this helps

Blog Entries

That is a nice find - how long (lines) and big (KB) is your descr_strat file?