Thread: Advantages/Boni of politicians and women

Icon5 Advantages/Boni of politicians and women

Hey Community,

I am just starting back into TWR2 again after a long pause and have a couple of questions...
    1) The boni that target the entire empire (research, taxes etc.) - how do they get into play? Do all politicians work for my empire? Generals and politicians? Just those of my faction (i.e. Patricii as Romans)?

2) How do those boni work for women? If I give my wife a household with +taxes would she be in my capital? Is she where her husband is?

3) How do local boni work for politicians? Not at all? Capital?

4) Do generals get special boni if they are within the capital? Or is it enough when they move through the province?

Thanks

Default Re: Advantages/Boni of politicians and women

Nobody knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Mordocai View Post
    Nobody knows?
    I am looking for those answers myself.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Hey Community,

I am just starting back into TWR2 again after a long pause and have a couple of questions...
    Welcome back. As you can see, a lot has changed. Lets see if I can help.

I got a bit confused by what you mean by boni, as it's not a word I'm familiar with. From the context I'm assuming you're meaning the bonuses from various traits, skills etc. Hopefully that's right, and sorry if it's not.

I'm also assuming you are playing vanilla Patch 20 (Ancestral Update.) If you're playing with mods or an earlier patch, things may be different.

First probably worth getting a bit of terminology out of the way, to avoid confusion, and I'll also try and give a brief overview of how the system works as I understand it, then get onto your specific questions.

So, terminology. Factions and Parties.

Faction = Rome, Carthage, Iceni, Macedon, Parthia etc. They're the individual countries or geopolitical entities that you play in game.

Party = Patricii, House of Cornelia, House of Julia, House of Junia, Seahorse Clan, Disciples of Athena etc. They're the political parties within your faction. They don't exist as separate entities in the campaign game, but as subdivisions of your faction.

All the characters that you command, whether they be politicians, generals, admirals or agents belong to your faction. And when you play a campaign, you are playing that faction, so they are all ultimately working for you. You give them orders, move them around the map etc and they do it.

Each character (except agents) also has a political party that they have allegiance to. This is mainly important when it comes to managing party influence and loyalty, and when secessions or civil wars happen.

Each character's gravitas contributes to their party's influence. And each character's actions effect the loyalty. So what you choose to do with your characters, whether from your party or from a different one, can have a big effect on the campaign.

For example, winning battles with a general from a party other than yours will increase their gravitas (and so party's influence,) but also their party's loyalty to you. On the other hand, losing battles with generals from a different party, getting their generals killed and especially getting their party leader killed can have a negative effect on that party's loyalty.

If loyalty falls too far you start having the chance of a secession each turn. If a party secedes, all characters from that party leave your faction and join the new breakaway faction. For example if House of Cornelia were to secede from Rome, every politician, general and admiral from House of Cornelia would leave your faction, taking with them any armies and navies they command, agents attached to those armies, and whatever land is allocated to that party by the game's algorithms. (The last one is based on party influence, on keeping each party's lands clustered together, and of making it so there aren't more than one party controlling regions in each province. It's not an exact correlation, but basically the more influence a party has, the more land iwithn you faction they control.)

Onto the specifics:

1) The boni that target the entire empire (research, taxes etc.) - how do they get into play? Do all politicians work for my empire? Generals and politicians? Just those of my faction (i.e. Patricii as Romans)?
    Bonuses and penalties from skills and traits that are marked “factionwide,” “all regions” or “all provinces” will have their effect regardless of where the character who has that skill/trait is. They can be a general, an admiral or a politician and it makes no difference, because they have a “global” effect.

On the other hand bonuses and penalties marked “local region” or “local province” only effect the region (or province) that this character is in, because they have a “local” effect.

With “local” effects, you will also gain no benefit/penalty from these effects if the character is a politician, or who has the “travelling” or “wounded” states, as they are neither in a region nor a province for the purposes of the game.

Household members are similar to the traits and skills, but they have to be “equipped” (in a household slot on one of your characters) to have any effect. If they're sitting in the “pool” they won't have an effect. This is true both for the regular household members and for the spouse “card” you get when a character marries. More on the latter below.

2) How do those boni work for women? If I give my wife a household with +taxes would she be in my capital? Is she where her husband is?
    So, women and men are each treated as separate characters in game. They have their own skills, traits and household members. This means that a wife has no direct effect on her husband*, and a husband has no direct effect on his wife.*

For factions where women can be generals, they follow all the same rules as the men.

For factions where women cannot be generals, they have the “Family Duty” trait and a special career path, which provide various “global” benefits. But otherwise they can gain traits and household members like normal, and draw from the same list of possibilities. Yes this means that women can end up with “local” effects they can never use, because they can never be a general/admiral so are never in a region/province in the first place.

*The one way in which one spouse effects another is the spouse “card.” When two characters get married, each gains a spouse “card” in the spouse slot of their household. These vary, appear to be completely random, and can have bonuses or penalties depending on what you get. So you might have an “Arrogant Wife” married to an “Educated Husband,” or a “Spartan Wife” married to a “Poisoner Husband” or a “Drunken Husband” married to a “Quiet Wife.” (Examples all taken from my current Syracuse Rise of the Republic campaign. Dionysius and his kids really can pick 'em...) As with other Household members, they're effects are tied to the character who has the card, so for example my “Arrogant Wife” makes people unhappy where her husband is, not where she is.

3) How do local boni work for politicians? Not at all? Capital?
    As mentioned above, “local” effects on politicians have no effect because they are not in a region/province.

4) Do generals get special boni if they are within the capital? Or is it enough when they move through the province?
    Not that I've seen.

Thanks
    Happy to help. Hopefully I've covered everything, but if not or any further questions feel free to ask.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Thank you

Thank you
    Happy to help.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Great response, thank you.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

That was actually a very good response @Welsh Dragon.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Imoen View Post
    Great response, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    That was actually a very good response @Welsh Dragon.

Cheers!
    Thank you both. I'm glad I could help.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.