Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The stir (flash fiction)

Thread: The stir (flash fiction)

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default The stir (flash fiction)

The stir

When I was little, each night I used to love looking at the images encyclopedias had, of the monstrous fish which live at the bottom of the oceans. At the time I wasn’t aware of the underlying meaning of this persistent habit. For, in reality, this childish interest was not about the sea as an object but as a symbol: it concerned my inner sea and the deep abysses inside myself.
    It has been many years now since I feel that I am always below sea level... Everything in my thoughts is in flux, swimming about in the deep, while I, virtually incapable of autonomous movement, am carried about by the powerful currents, lulled by the impression made upon me by magnificent sea creatures.
    It is as if I dwell below the surface, in secret caverns in the sea; I feel no intimacy with anything sensual, those things almost repel me; to me the sensual forms become diminished and distorted and overall my connection to the reality of the senses is very tenuous, consisting only of a few worries, vague hopes and indistinct ends.
    In stark contrast to that, to the deep where my thoughts perpetually wander I am bound by a very sturdy rope, which stretches out to the full distance, with its other end remaining firmly tied around my waist.
    Sometimes I think that all which is needed of me is that I simply touch that rope, and pull it even a little bit towards me, so that whatever lies in the other end will already begin its journey to reach me; and, in doing so, despite of the massive distance which will originally lie between us, it shall cause the gravest of stirs to the waters around me...
    Your surname doesn't have to be Komnenos, Doukas or Palaiologos, so as to join
    the Neo-Byzantine Society: click on the immortal emblem; partake in high culture

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: The stir (flash fiction)

This tale is an intriguing exploration of the narrator's inner world. I wonder what the sea creatures represent, I notice that they're described both as monstrous and magnificent. The rope is interesting, too - I wondered whether it is confining or safeuguarding the narrator (ropes can be used to detain a prisoner or safeguard a mountain climber, for example) and I also speculated about what might be at the other end.

Thanks!

Yes, the rope works both ways. There is (eg) a nice aphorism by Kafka, where a man is presented as prevented from reaching the ground due to being tied by a rope to the heaven. But he is also prevented from reaching the heaven, due to a second rope which ties him to the ground. (probably a metaphor for the poet; can't live fully in the land of inspiration, neither fully in the surface)

This flash is an old piece i wrote (iirc back in 2015!). Later on i did develop it into a short story (3000 words or so). The water world symbolizes the inner/imaginary/less conscious state. The monstrous and magnificent fish are those inspirations which if caught will drag you below with them
    the Neo-Byzantine Society: click on the immortal emblem; partake in high culture

Cool n good
    This story truly portrays man and his role in society and how he is bound by certain limits and forced to go with the current to survive.
    Cool stuff again.
    mad orc
    To anyone concerned. I am leaving twc. Bye and best of luck.
    And Pike thanks for supporting me always.

Thank you!