Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: RR/RC 2.0 Ultimate Edition, Patch #2 Released

Default Re: RR/RC 2.0 Ultimate BETA Release

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oakenthrone View Post
    Win 10 users could maybe try to set compatibility settings to windows 7 in the exe properties, thats one procedure that might work but...due to this particular game being launched via a batch file I cannot access the properties on it, I tried doing it on the 'kingdoms exe' that is within the RR/RC Ultimate main folder but that didnt seem to change anything, still getting same campaign CTD.
    The batch file only runs SS_Setup.exe, and that is what launches the actual game. It launches Kingdoms.exe in the Medieval II Total War folder.

Virian's Avatar Civis

Hmmm, the guys that made it work can tell us how they did it like where they placed the folder, if they have steam version etc.

Virian's Avatar Civis

Ok this is what my log says from the the same folder I open the mod from

full path: F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel\
    redirecting CreateDevice
    initialising shader environment
    D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed
    try to use "F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel" for shader files

I don't have steam on my laptop... Any help? Perhaps I can make it work if I have it stop going to steam and go to where my game actually is?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I cannot run the game either. I mean: I can run it, but I cannot start a campaign - CTD after I choosing the faction and pressing "Start"
    I haven't installed the shader, is it required?

Virian's Avatar Civis

from what i understand it's meant to enhance the visuals of the game only but maybe...

Its not required.

For the campaign launch CTD try https://mega.nz/#!mbB0RSxA!qv9YtL8OD...f87ldckNfqp01I
    Just going from an old memory here. Unzip it into your Medieval II Total War\data folder, it is only about 19MB.

Virian's Avatar Civis

tried, did nothing.

You guys getting the CTD, are you running the game in Steam or not?

Anyway, this post explains the problem: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ed-texture-set

So will check into that. I think its just a missing texture file that SS loaded into the Medieval II Total War folder but mine does not put anything there, only into the mods folder.
    Last edited by Point Blank; September 15, 2018 at 06:56 PM.

OK, can someone who has installed SS6.4 please zip up the following 2 folders, upload them and post a link to their download site here please?
    1. Medieval II Total War\data\models_strat
    2. Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel\data\models_strat

I'm pretty sure that is where the problem is and if so its an easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    OK, can someone who has installed SS6.4 please zip up the following 2 folders, upload them and post a link to their download site here please?
    1. Medieval II Total War\data\models_strat
    2. Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel\data\models_strat

I'm pretty sure that is where the problem is and if so its an easy fix.

Ive got the SS6.4 models_strat folder ready to upload here, but like yourself it only is in the mods folder! when I looked in my normal main medieval 2 folder there was no models_strat in the data folder to be seen
    Last edited by Lord Oakenthrone; September 15, 2018 at 08:15 PM.

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

@Point Blank
    You guys getting the CTD, are you running the game in Steam or not?

Anyway, this post explains the problem:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ed-texture-set

So will check into that. I think its just a missing texture file that SS loaded into the Medieval II Total War folder but mine does not put anything there, only into the mods folder.
    https://www.gamefront.com/games/medieval-2-total-war-kingdoms/file/model-strats-from-ss6-3-data

https://www.gamefront.com/games/medi...main-m2tw-data

Actually, the campaign (High Era) worked, after some tga files paths were diverted (files descr_character.txt and descr_model_strat.txt). Had to eliminate fancy_ambasedor, first fancy_ambasedor_venice, then sicily and milan. Then had to get rid of the Keivan_Rus (Eastern_amasador), etc. All of them reverted to their original ones. Notice that fancy_ambasedor_venice.tga and the other factions equivalents are nowhere to be seen in the model_strat\textures, only their .tga.dds versions (fancy_ambasedor_venice.tga.dds, fancy_ambasedor_sicily.tga.dds, ...) are present there. Assassins (New_Northern_assassin) were changed too and so were Northern_Princess2 and Northern_Princess3 (France, england, denmark, venice, ...) and New_princess (Lithuania, Norway, ...). So the changes were made to diplomats, princess and assassins. In the majority of the cases just modified, say strat_model fancy_ambasedor (for factions venice, sicily and milan) in descr_character.txt to southern_ambassador, then eliminated their references in descr_model_strat.txt (filled the fancy_ambasedor with dots and commas).

descr_character.txt

descr_model_strat.txt
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; September 15, 2018 at 11:59 PM.

@VCB89, Yep confirmed works for high era. Cheers

Virian's Avatar Civis

anyone can confirm if this works for early era too?

PB, i'm stoked it's finally online, i'm downloading with utorrent and it will take me a couple of days (crappy net is all i can afford).. but a bit of a noob question here, if i follow the installation instructions, does it work right off the bat with SS 6.4 or do i have to rerun SS setup or something?

Virian's Avatar Civis

in theory it works on default as if it was an SS6.4 so all you need is start the RRRC launcher and you get to play... to problem is that we still can't get early campaign to run, there are a lot of WIP's I haven't even touched and the only thing that works is custom and historical battles and High era and idk why but it was running pretty damn slowly for me. I'm gonna wait until bugs are ironed out honestly and just download the patched up version after so many damn annoyances.

VCB89: Thanks for that I'm still a bit unclear why it has not been working because that side of things was totally unchanged from 6.4 and the earlier RR/RC version, when it was working OK. I will see if I put out some test files with all those files you removed included because they are quite nice Anyway its obviously not an un-fixable problem. IMHO High Era is more enjoyable anyway
    As I said its been difficult to check this stuff for me because mine runs OK.
    I think if you had installed SS6.4 in the past it might run OK because 6.4 made some updates to the Medieval II Total War\data\models_strat folder from memory.
    Virian: Well the point of WiPs is that you don't touch them yet because WiPs are WiP. If the campaign is running slowly that is probably BGRIV. And I did say this is a beta release, right? These are all relatively minor problems.
    Judeman: those files are awaiting approval, can you let me know when they have been, or upload to somewhere else please?

How are you guys finding the new RC?
    Last edited by Point Blank; September 16, 2018 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous_(\)008 View Post
    PB, i'm stoked it's finally online, i'm downloading with utorrent and it will take me a couple of days (crappy net is all i can afford).. but a bit of a noob question here, if i follow the installation instructions, does it work right off the bat with SS 6.4 or do i have to rerun SS setup or something?
    No its standalone, no need to run SS setup.

I've downloaded and copied the torrent file, the mega data rar (555mb), and the VCB86 fix from these two files. Both early and high campaings starts well, but works veeeeery slowly, becomes unplayable [EDIT: I have tried to spend some turns and it is playable, but uncomfortable to see too low fps in the campaign]. It's not because BGRIV, i'm using BGRII (I hate IV version, complicates the game too much). Some units leave without image or "unlocalised placement text".
    I'm especially interested in your BAI improvements, not CAI, which was already quite good in SS 6.4. I suggest lightening the campaign_script.txt file (4 mb!!) and deleting that pile of useless files (dll, kingdoms.exe, copies, backups, saves, replays, duplicated videos from vainilla, data.packs, etc...) that appear in the mod folder.

A question: Why does it occupy so many GBs if most units are vanilla?

Edit: I'm using Windows 7, original steam version of Kingdoms, 4 gb of RAM patch, and MTW2 installed on main C:/ folder
    Last edited by Toranks; September 16, 2018 at 06:21 AM.

Yes there is a lot of junk in there, and stuff like new unit models I copied over with the intention of using but didn't because integrating them with the battle_models file proved to be next to impossible. I would say that by now certainly not 'most' units are vanilla.

The thing is that after the old version of the mod, as I said above all sorts of things were added, or planned to be added, but to go ahead and remove them in a highly targeted way would be a risky proposition at this point - would rather just have a larger download. But sure I will remove the obvious junk and tighten everything up for the non-Beta (y)

For BGRIV I have toned right down some of the extremely high and very opaque costs and penalties, such as when a leader came of age it used to cost the faction over 6000 for his new estate - you could recruit 20 units of spearmen for that.
    Last edited by Point Blank; September 16, 2018 at 06:43 AM.