Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: RR/RC 2.0 Ultimate Edition, Patch #2 Released

Default Re: RR/RC 2.0 Ultimate Edition, Patch #2 Released

Yeah, I noticed that too. I started updating the stats on the HURB units back in medium-late 2015, and after finishing the EDU changes I was going to address the replenishment rates. I will probably restart work on the HURB files, since I can't play the new RR/RC compilation with that atrocious map lag. Maybe at some point we can introduce the new animations into HURB. (Or maybe PB could do that. )

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that too. I started updating the stats on the HURB units back in medium-late 2015, and after finishing the EDU changes I was going to address the replenishment rates. I will probably restart work on the HURB files, since I can't play the new RR/RC compilation with that atrocious map lag. Maybe at some point we can introduce the new animations into HURB. (Or maybe PB could do that. )
    I have the impression that both Titanium and SSHIP have pushed the things further and there's little reason to re-start HURB. RollingWave work is included in both. In my experience, the Titanium was very ambitious in the will to leave many options (ie submods) to the player and this created much stability problems. After many crashes I've given up, to be frank.
    The SSHIP gives you less options but it's stable (especially version 0.9.2). You may see my quite recent review - the link in the footnote.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Did they use the map too? And the new units? And the building trees?

Yeah, it doesn't seem like a good idea to have too many submods in the launcher. Stability is the most important quality. If you get crashes non-stop, it doesn't matter how many options the mod gives you - ultimately you'll choose the option to play something else.

Have to agree about options in the launcher.
    Stick to eras and leave the rest up to the user.
    At least if there's problems you know what version you're dealing with, and fixes can be applied to the vanilla version without any problem.

I've gone back to modding ss6.4 but - so many ctds, nearly all battle related. and probably all memory management issues rather than mod ones (which can be easily spotted in the log.)
    Just wish I had the files for the later ss6.4 version of the rozmod which had cool religious orders and other stuff.
    RR is an interesting concept but watching people play it it leaves a trail of unre-buildable units over the strat map.
    I'd rather stich to faction units and mercenaries - makes the EDB so much easier to follow, and mercs can be recruited by everyone.

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

k/t - with the launcher, you can just copy in the 'Kingdoms.exe' from the default folder into the RR/RC folder and it works great. Haven't had a lot of map lag, but that might just be luck/my pc.

I just got back into M2TW a couple months ago - what were the big changes with HURB and Titanium vs. the base SS that PB has turned into this?

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Did they use the map too? And the new units? And the building trees?
    They're from various mods, I think, also from HURB.

Quote Originally Posted by Erunion Telcontar View Post
    I just got back into M2TW a couple months ago - what were the big changes with HURB and Titanium vs. the base SS that PB has turned into this?
    I've actually know only the review of SSHIP done myself (and this is why I had done it - I couldn't find any comparisons.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Hi

I used to play RRRC Aug13 version all those years ago
    great to see it finally get updated after all these years
    Could i ask, does this new RRRC 2.0 Ultimate edition come with the mods from the Aug13 version. i.e.

• COMPLETE BYZANTINE UNIT ROSTER by Anthonius II and Caesar Clivus
    • BATTLE FOR THE BALTIC by Caesar Clivus
    • BGR IV Ehhanced (optional) by Byg
    • RUSICHI MOD UNITS!!!
    • SS 6.2 Release Candidate 4 by Gra​et
    • ​etc

I'm not sure about Battle For The Baltic, but the rest are in, since it's a development of 6.4. I don't remember Battle For The Baltic being part of the previous RR/RC Compilation either, actually.

Quick Q:
    How much is known about the memory allocation that the m2tw engine uses ?
    I understand that it fills up, which eventually leads to random CTDs.
    The vanilla m2tw game rarely crashes compared to SS6.4, so I presume SS6.4 is overloading the memory allocation more quickly than the engine can cope with.
    So is there any way to know if there's things we can lose from SS6.4 which will release more memory without wreckingthe mod ?
    I'm thinking thins like the music or loading screens or are they insiginificant in memory terms ?
    Crashes nearly always happen during battles so turning down the unit size and detail might help I know but what else can we lose ?
    I ask this as I don't see there's much to be gained by adding even more stuff in a sub-mod if it increases instability.

are you talking about campaign map crashes or battle crashes ?

i remember long time ago having quite a bit of crashes in battles, then i disabled G5 AI and it got super stable, as for campaigns it's been probably years since last crash

Battle crashes exclusively.
    Campaign map and settlement related bugs have pretty much been squashed.
    There may still be the odfd traits issue that needs sorting out, but CTD when loading battles, at end of battles and during battles are all happening.
    Unspecified errors and fatal graphics errors..
    Fatal graphics Errors at start of battles are often sorted out by switching PC off (clearing all the caches) and refighting a loaded game - which suggests memory issues.
    At the end of battles coud be trait related or memory.
    During could be RBAI related.
    I've switched off unlimited men and have disabled cache in game.

[The above comments apply to vanilla SS6.4, with RC/RR and with my own mod (which doesn't impact battles in anyway.) ]
    Last edited by Used2BRoz; March 10, 2019 at 05:19 PM.

Remove Permanent Arrows too.
    Use Large Address Aware.
    There are probably still animation and BMDB issues.

wait are we talking about clean SS6.4 ? or RRRC 2 ultimate ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    wait are we talking about clean SS6.4 ? or RRRC 2 ultimate ?
    Both.

Point being if there's issues with vanilla SS6.4 and RR/RC then perhaps we should be thinking about reducing memory load, not increasing it.
    Large address aware is not supported by TWCentre, so mods shouldn't rely on it to be reliable.
    The vanilla m2tw very rarely crashes, its all the stuff that mods add that cause issues.

SS maxed out factions / units / regions and then added a whole heap of extra textures for units etc.
    On their own each of those factors wouldn't be a big issue, but if you combine them then it overstretches the game enginge, which uses about 1.3 GB RAM of RAM total.

(Perm arrows are off, as are unlimited men on battlemap, but game still crashes. The more units in the battle, the more likely it'll crash. Equally the longer you play in a session, the more it crashes.)

My suspicion is that the engine simply doesn't reserve enough space in RAM for the units and their textures that we want to put in there.
    (So making units smaller rather than larger might help.)
    That space seems to be variable as if you restart the PC and clear memory and restart battle you can sometimes get it to run OK other times it just won't.

Sadly using a newish PC with lots of RAM, multi-threading / cores and a 3GB GPU makes little difference, the game engine is 13 years old (approx). We need a new one.

I'm thinking perhps we should be aiming for a stainless steel lite version that strips out all unecessary features.

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

Quick question - does anyone know why players generals have such low command vs. the AI generals? Looks like some hidden stats/scripts that don't show up, and it's a real pain. (Don't have Byg's enabled).

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

Doesn't matter if TWC doesn't support LAA. People can find it on their own.

You don't have it enabled but it might be enabled anyway. Several people have been affected by BGR even though they hadn't checked its box. PB said he finally fixed that issue, but who knows.

Hooooollllly , y'all mfers are still alive. Haven't thought about this game in quite some time. New total war game popped up on my steam suggestions, which made me think of this. Got the RR/RC 2.0 up and running. Thanks Point Blank for the update and countless hours of playing this!
    I don't always talk in tautologies, but when I do, I talk in tautologies.

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks for great work!

Got a handmade problem - somehow I damaged descr_formations_ai without backup. Could someone upload it please?

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Dragour's Avatar Tiro

Here you go
    Attached Files Attached Files

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks mate!

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!