Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: RR/RC 2.0 Ultimate Edition, Patch #2 Released

Default Re: RR/RC 2.0 Ultimate BETA Release

Oh, and the patch is complete, will be uploading it tonight,it’s only about 550MB this time

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Castles - I think the whole discussion of their historically it problematic exactly because in the M2TW engine we've got large provinces with one settlement. In each of them there'd be many of them, hundreds in the Western Europe. So it'd focus rather on two issues: better battle experience and better gameplay. On the former - for the player it's more fun to take a castle than only a city (or maybe alternate between them) - and this is the most important argument for me to leave castles in.
    On the gameplay - well, in the SS (and especially BGR) you need to pay attention to the recruitment possibilities, so it prompts you to make another choice - good for the gameplay. However, I don't think they provide a crucial difference in the ability to defend a province.
    Crucially, I don't think there should be a big difference in income from a castle and a city - it's the income from the whole province, not from the castle.

Yes, we are limited to this level of abstraction unfortunately. Dominion of the Sword was implementing a detailed scheme where forts provided kind of sub-provinces but as you say the AI would have seriously struggled.

Do you know if Devastation is in SSHIP? Apparently it was removed from 6.4 because it wasn’t possible to have it work along side having generals age correctly for some reason. It made raids somewhat worth it. Do you think it would be possible to write a script such that when your army ends its turn on the land of an enemy faction that some level of economic damage is done, and your own treasury is boosted by some % to represent plunder etc? It could be something like 10 for each unit in your army. Maybe the code exists in BGR already, something similar to his supply code?

Castles - yes, this is very abstract now. The forts are no-go for the AI, so forget about them.
    Now the question is: what should we approach this castles-cities distinction? I think there should be some slight difference in the specialization (more military for the castles, more income-related to the cities), but not too much - Acre was a formidable trade-center, and the whole area providing much money (also due to a kind of colonizing-economy of the knights of KoJ, eg. cultivation of the sugar cane). In this respect, I wouldn't differentiate the availability of the feudal troops, but rather the professionals. In this respect, I find the SSHIP solution the best of what I'd seen.

No idea about devastation, and if it exists in the SSHIP. It is well developed in the EBII, you may ask there (it's related to the general, not to the number of units, but it can be done with the help of supply-related traits, I believe).

Ok will ask at EBII good idea.

I would say the majority of castles were not really trade centers, Acre was a bit different being by the sea. Still think feudal units should be available exclusively at castles, they were not given fiefs at urban centers. In RR there are two types of Professionals (aside from Early Pros) that become prevalent in the Late Era as urban centers proliferate - Late Pros recruitable at castles, and Urban Pros from cities. They are often the same units and especially for the Italian factions, whose previous lack of castles was somewhat of a liability, as they move into the late c14th they become a lot more capable. With their economic power they can also compensate by hiring some of the excellent mercenaries available in the region.

Thinking of that have been meaning to implement some of the English mercenaries who made such an impact in the region, like John Hawkwood’s White Company, perhaps as unique units. In RR, mercs have have almost the same recruitment price as their upkeep, plus a small administrative surcharge, because they were paid for a set period of time in successive contracts. Compared to Professionals their upkeep is high but the recruitment cost low, ie they are best used for short periods. Their heyday was prior to the rise of indigenous Italian professional units. Actually will do tonight and re-upload the patch. Damn, reminds me I planned to put in a Disbandment script like in BC for when the AI is in financial difficulties.

Is there a trait that makes hiring mercenaries cheaper? I seem to recall a Mercenary Captain ancillary that does that.
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 17, 2018 at 11:32 AM.

I may just repeat: even if the settlement of a province is a city, we should not imagine that in a region that has a few dozens or hundreds thousand inhabitants, there're no feudal troops... who would own and manage the whole territories?

Disbandment script? I think the AI has a Carl the Taxman type of script preventing it from bankruptcy. The disbandment script is for an irresponsible player who cannot pay his troops.

There's no trait to make cheaper only hiring mercenaries, but to recruit any troops - and indeed Mercenary Captain has this ability.

If you follow that line of reasoning, you might as well be able to recruit anything anywhere. Its still a game and we have to accept some compromises.

The level of abstraction varies by region - in the Levant its not too much at all, the cities and castles on the map come close to representing what was actually there. I have started work on the Crusades campaign already, which will be very close to 1:1

I’ll see if I can come up with something to give some generals an advantage in hiring mercs, maybe traits they could pick up by spending time in North Italian cities for example.
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 17, 2018 at 02:45 PM.

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

i dont see new turkish units.u ll add them with patch2?i own patch1 yet.

Yes in Patch 2, will upload shortly. Just had to make a last-minute change. 560MB download.

EDIT: Just going to delay slightly. In SS6.4 Devastation was disabled because for some reason it appeared to interfere with characters aging correctly, why I have no idea. But I hear it works well in EBII. I would really like to implement it in the latest version of RR/RC, its a great mechanic for depicting raids etc. So I asked about it in their forum and will wait until I get a reply to release the patch.
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 18, 2018 at 12:26 AM.

Looks like Devastation is easy to do with correct aging, so will add that in and all being well get the patch out tonight.

Patch will be out today, sorry for the delay, had some trouble downloading EBII so I can use their Devastation script.
    From there, the update path will be as follows:
    Update 1: the 4 mini-campaigns, multiple new units and new models for existing ones
    Update 2: historical Crusades campaign
    Update 3: new factions Georgia in Early Era, Georgia and Florence in High Era
    Update 4: Historical Late Era grand campaign, new factions Georgia, Florence and Burgundy, some other factions renamed / reworked

EDIT: Ok Devastation is back in, uploading the patch now.
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 19, 2018 at 01:08 PM.

Patch #2

Download link: https://ufile.io/7baw2
    Unzip it into your Steam\steamapps\common folder, or the level above your Medieval II Total War folder if its on your C: drive or elsewhere.

Let me know of any bugs; its always possible I missed copying over something from my development installation to the Patch folder. I'm just putting it into this this thread for now; its only 560MB so I can quickly deal with any problems and re-upload. If people are happy with it I will publicize it more widely.

Ok its 5am here, off to bed
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 19, 2018 at 05:12 PM.

Wow, I just discovered this mod and it is great!!! Thank for all the great work you have done!!!

The only thing that bothers me a little are the general icons for Byzantium/Roman Empire. They are western type paintings, which is something Byzantines didn't like. They had their own painting art. I preferred the more neutral SS general icons for Byzantium over those. Though, these western painting used in Byzantium are excellent for western Empires it just not seems right in Byzantium.

If that’s your worst complaint so far I will take it

Back after a break to rest RSI hands.

Downloaded patch 2 and applied it.

Game seems a lot more stable now - played for 2 hours with field and settlement battles and no CTDs at all.
    Was playing as Egypt early era 2TPY
    Ddn't notice any problems with silver units.
    Battle AI seemed more balanced.
    I'm playing on medium and the egyptian spear troops stood their ground for a decent amount of time vs Crusader heavy cavalry.
    Desert archers proved deadly against them.

Didn't tick any of the BYG options but still got the War council stuff.
    I generally ignore it and carry on regardless.

Re perm stone forts.
    having buildable ones lets the AI put them in places which can really mess up path finding.
    Much better to select locations for optimal effect without messing the pathfinding.
    AI may or may not use them, same as human player.
    They are useful refuge for defeated troops to fall back to.
    They are also invaluable for stopping points for unaccompanied (no general) armies.
    Prevents them mutinying.

the descr_strat def needs nerfing, AI factions need religious buildings from the start, having over 90% religion without a religious building makes no sense.

I'll carry on with this campaign for a while, then try other factions.
    Not called a jihad or had a crusade called by anyone yet.

Good stuff thanks Roz, will implement those.

That damn BYG virus is still there? Thought I squashed all the instances of that! Will get my fly swatter and try again.

I put in a change that should have speeded up the campaign map for those who were experiencing slow-downs.

Forgot to put in a small update to reduce prices for some ME factions that have lower-quality metallurgy armors and bladed weapons, will do so, and also have them transitioning to more advanced armors a bit later.

Pretty sure I addressed all the bugs and changes from earlier in this thread.How is the tower shooting rate now? The control radius has been reduced so troops need to be closer to towers for them to be considered manned.

Mini-campaigns aren’t too far off working. Have resolved the generals’ naming problems (some of their names didn’t appear in this mod), just working through the traits that have the same issue.

Part way through adding units from the Crusades campaign into the RRRC EDU and updating their stats, there are not that many, then will implement them in RR and deal with the traits again, that should be about it for basic functionality. Next, troop numbers and population levels will be adjusted to be 1:1 with historical figures, BGR adjusted to allow supplies through ports, more events etc. Should be a fun campaign Looking forward to getting to grips with it, am a bit burnt out on the grand campaigns. Will be doing it in conjunction with a PhD whose specialty is the Crusades. He very much likes the mod and wants to make the Crusades version as realistic as possible, and was saying that if we can get it to the right point that he might write an academic paper on it for its uses as a research tool in the area. How cool is that?

Did you notice if Devastation is working? Didn’t have time to test it.

Glad its running well and is more stable now! After I put in the changes here will re-upload the patch and have the mod publicized on the TWC home page.

How are you finding the new RC? Of course the changes are, as usual, pretty transparent to the player, but the overall results should be improved. You said above you are finding the Battle AI more balanced now, how is the quality of the AI opponent compared to before, do you think the slower combat rate is better? Sorry for all the questions, I haven’t received much feedback on that stuff and it all helps me to improve things in subsequent releases
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 20, 2018 at 12:14 AM.

Hi Roz,

Do you have the time to send me a descr_strat with some religious buildings added? My daughter's puppy has gone missing so busy looking for it

EDIT: never mind, done it already
    Last edited by Point Blank; October 20, 2018 at 02:25 PM.

I'll see if I can spot devastation -it's not something I usually check - and with armies constantly on the move it doesn't crop up that frequently.

Each battle is unique so it's difficult to compare the AI. I play with random option so don't know which is selected.

Overall the AI BAI is reasonable, if a little slow to engage sometimes, especially if I'm in a strong defensive position.
    Still sometimes get the lone charge by a heavy cavalry unit at the start, which sometimes creates carnage, other times not so much especially if it is unsupported.
    I expect they are "impulsive".

Towers stop firing when there's no defenders nearby which is good.
    rate of fire is OK.

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

Installed patch 2 and have been unable to launch.
    Reinstalled the whole mod, still get this error:
    ---------------------------
    kingdoms.exe - Entry Point Not Found
    The procedure entry point D3D10CreateStateBlock could not be located in the dynamic link library E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\dxgi.dll.
    OK

I modified the names for the dxgi files to 'dxgi_temp', and I got past that error... only for the game to CTD after the first loading screen.

What can I do?

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

I don’t have my PC in front of me but in your Medieval II Total War folder, remove the SweetFX folder and anything else the patch put there, which will be mostly .dll files, except the Mods folder.

Roz: the variations you are seeing are down to the randomly-chosen BattleAI files working in conjunction with the new formations, eg with the Heavy Cavalry choice, because the cav is now closer to the enemy, they will be more likely to open with a charge.

Added in another Formation style choice at the start, Equal Priorities, where all the formations have the same priority rather than being biased like with the others. So which one it decides to use will be down to the internal M2TW mechanism, though I have given it hints as to which are more suitable in attack or defense:
    Horse Archers, Heavy Cavalry - attack
    Infantry to the Fore, Archers and Heavy Infantry - defense
    Balanced - attack and defense
    Don’t know how well that will work but we’ll see.

Added in Gigantus’ ‘7 Grails’ Forts mod which includes seven new fort styles (eg Crusader), also visible on the strat map. Going through the initial permanent ones and seeing if they can be matched to one of them