Thread: Winter is... not coming?

Icon5 Winter is... not coming?

Just installed 3.3 and started a new campaign, after pressing end turn I immediately noticed the campaign map did not change, even though the season icon in the bottom right did. When I tried to quit the game, I saw the error message I've attached below. Wat?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails generic error.jpg  

Default Re: Winter is... not coming?

The first thing I would do is rename my game folder: "(original name) old", or some such. Then reinstall the base game and reinstall the mod. If the problem persists you will know that it is the mod. If not, then something went wrong with your old instal; maybe a conflict with another mod. You could move your saved game folder from the old game folder to the new, or just start over since you have not gotten very far.

If you get the same error after a fresh instal I would not know how to correct it; not a modder myself. Since this mod is pretty much done you will not see members of the mod team on here too often. You may have better luck finding help on one of the more general and populated forums, or by hunting down and pm-ing some of the mod team.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

I've not seen this error before so I think it is something specific to your system.

I deleted the map.rwm files and they regenerated in 3.3 without any issues.

You might want to check that your system has not blocked the tga files. Although I am not sure you'd get an error with the file reported unless the map.rwm file was not generated. Check your map.rwm. Check its size. It should not be 0 after you have run the game once.

You may want to check that the tga file is not corrupted by redownloading. It should be 649,808 bytes.

I have seen issues with TGAs in the past where the file corrupted when the a file with the same name tried to overwrite it. So you might want try and fresh install by doing as Wambat suggests.

This is all I can think of.

And now I'm going back to retirement.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

The map.rwm file looks normal. All of my other mods have suddenly become wildly unstable though, so I'm thinking it is indeed some kind of conflict. Thankfully I didn't have any ongoing campaigns, so I'm going to do a clean wipe and reinstall and hope for the best. Thanks for the input you guys!

Being old, RTW does not take up too much space, so you should be able, in future, to keep completely separate game folders, one for each of your mods, and for the base game, rather than housing all of your mods in the same folder; referring here to the "Rome Total War Gold" folder. Name each folder something like "Rome Total War Gold - [mod name]", and change the folder name bac to "Rome Total War Gold" when you want to use that mod. This will avoid multiple mods potentially getting in each other's way. You will have to change your launch options each time you switch mods, so you might want to keep a notepad document handy with the different launch options required for each mod.