Thread: What counts as a "Church" for the High Elves? [Vanilla] [3.2]

Maenor's Avatar Libertus

Default What counts as a "Church" for the High Elves? [Vanilla] [3.2]

In my long endeavor to rework the Trait Mechanic entirely from the ground up i caught up with the "Upright" trait

The triggers are plain and simple, resist Bribe, build a church or just for pure randomness/coming of age you get a point to the trait

Now, within the game's system and to my knowledge, the High Elves are categorized as Orthodox Egypt which means no Church for the player to build... unless the Mod team just changed the name and one of the buildings within the roster is in reality just a camouflaged church.

But, unless i'm still a noob at this or i just missed the line entirely, i can't find any Church-Like building available for the High Elves

Now if that is truly the case (which i'm pretty sure it is, since Orthodox factions normally don't have religion at all) the only way for an Elven character to get the Upright trait would be to just wait for one of the diplomats to start bribing him to the end of days, in comparison Gondor can just build churches and be done with it.

In anyway, enough words:

TL;DR

Do any of the buildings available in 3.2 Vanilla counts as "Church" for the High Elves? Is the Culture Studio a similar choice?

Cheers and thanks!

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: What counts as a "Church" for the High Elves? [Vanilla] [3.2]

Well, the triggers for the orthodox factions points to buildings who are not avilable to construct, correct, so either recode the triggers to point to the art and art_castle-buildings instead, who handle conversion for Elves in TATW.
    Or, as very well may be the intention, you ignore it (or remove the triggers based on buildings if you want to make it tidy), for the trait was perhaps not intended to become avilable to characters from construction of buildings any more in TATW.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Maenor's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Well, the triggers for the orthodox factions points to buildings who are not avilable to construct, correct, so either recode the triggers to point to the art and art_castle-buildings instead, who handle conversion for Elves in TATW.
    Or, as very well may be the intention, you ignore it (or remove the triggers based on buildings if you want to make it tidy), for the trait was perhaps not intended to become avilable to characters from construction of buildings any more in TATW.

Yeah i think i'll just give the trait point to one of the non-starter levels of the Art-Studio(s) maybe tier 3 i dunno, i'll have to test it and balance it

The post itself was mostly out of curiosity, it seemed weird to me that the Elves would be left out of an entire trait just because of the cultural/religion system so i thought maybe the Team cheated a little bit and made the Art-Buildings/Lore-Guilds count as a church or whatever... seemed unnecessarily overkill but hey! Curiosity is curiosity so who knows.

Anyways! ...

How is the DCI coming along? I've been out of the scene for a loooong time due to personal projects, always wanted to send your that reworked layout of Imladris but i'm afraid i lost the conceptual map along with my Digital Sketching stuff

Been wanting to make up a new one with just the lame mouse i have but it just doesn't feel right for your project

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Sounds like a fair solution.

"The person who never ask will never know" as we say here in Sweden, hehe

Thanks it's moving along well, onto the end race as of now No worry, we don't have any dedicated mapper on the team at the moment, so we would not been able to realise any fresh idea anyhow I'm afraid.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Funny thing is that Evil factions can get the upright trait from Temples of Melkor, but good factions can't. If the AI tries to bribe a general and he refuses he will become upright but there isn't anything you can do.

Maenor's Avatar Libertus

IMO one of the biggest weakness of the Vanilla edition is the Trait System

It is a HUGE disconnection from the Game World, nothing makes sense, you get Dread for not-evil and Chivalry for -apparently- nothing, but above all the biggest problem is how most of the Traits that actually make a difference in-game are just for entirely random events that the player has little to no control.

In the end, you always end up having a family tree with characters that just don't represent your game style at all, because. apparently if a parent was Just his son just won't be (Replace Just with literally any other personality trait)

Like, have you seen those Chivalrous Orc generals? With Intellectual/GoodPerson-Like Traits? Screw Elrond those dudes are the true Lore-Masters of M.E.

So much Randomness in Game Mechanics is something that has always pissed me off, i hate Luck-Based mechanics with all of my soul