Thread: Can you increase the armies of the Reemergent Factions?

Default Can you increase the armies of the Reemergent Factions?

When a faction remerges they are way too weak. It would be nice to see them rising up with full stacks like at least 4 stacks. I dont know how that script works, but I would say it would be nice to see them as a new power in the region. Give them more stacks if necessary weaker units, but give them more units. And preferably would be nice to see this happen more often, like make their last capital city more likely to revolt even if you have troops in it.

In MTW1 it had the reemergent factions too, with huge stacks appearing out of nowhere. It was such a good mechanic. It basically renewed the game and this new faction could basically take over everything, which actually makes it more realistic and closer to what happened in history when a faction rised out of nowhere. In MTW1 nothing was more exciting than seeing a once dead faction rise again with huge stacks and taking over everything in their sight, going to war both against you and against other AI's.

Please EB2 staff, if you can implement something like this, it would be so cool. It would basically make the game more unpredictable and tense.
    Make factions rise up again even if randomly

Default Re: Can you increase the armies of the Reemergent Factions?

A quick solution would be to support an uprising using te create_unit cheat
    Living in the Netherland but am a Frisian the noblest of Germans. NOW playing SAI Julian campaign, http://www.unihorn.nl
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, Isaac Asimov
    F@ck de massa, grijp de Kassa, Bas Hoorn 2009

I find the army size of re-emerging factions fairly adequate. While a bigger size would create more of a challenge and a major shift in the course of the game, it seems somewhat unrealistic if a giant elite army suddenly appears out of nowhere.

However, I agree that the rebellion of part of your (or another faction's) territory should have greater repercussions. I'm just brainstorming now, but something like a huge temporary unrest to nearby provinces (of similar culture?) would provide an additional challenge, as the nearby cities smell the lure of freedom wafting over from their neighbours who freed themselves of the occupier's yoke (or something like that).

Quote Originally Posted by Neyak View Post
    I find the army size of re-emerging factions fairly adequate. While a bigger size would create more of a challenge and a major shift in the course of the game, it seems somewhat unrealistic if a giant elite army suddenly appears out of nowhere.

However, I agree that the rebellion of part of your (or another faction's) territory should have greater repercussions. I'm just brainstorming now, but something like a huge temporary unrest to nearby provinces (of similar culture?) would provide an additional challenge, as the nearby cities smell the lure of freedom wafting over from their neighbours who freed themselves of the occupier's yoke (or something like that).
    Exactly EB2 needs something like this to make it more realistic. Its not like an empire stayed unchallenged for long. Make things shake a bit. That is a good idea.

If remergent factions are given more power. And they are more likely to appear. Because lets face it, not only there were giant riots and new claimants rising. There was always huge political instability in big empires everytime a ruler died. I would love to see my game being affected by this. So to see big empires rise and fall. And new ones appear. And my empire i would like to see split in half, and completely challenged and almost destroyed by one or two new factions. That would make this mod the best mod ever.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofportugal View Post
    Exactly EB2 needs something like this to make it more realistic. Its not like an empire stayed unchallenged for long. Make things shake a bit. That is a good idea.

If remergent factions are given more power. And they are more likely to appear. Because lets face it, not only there were giant riots and new claimants rising. There was always huge political instability in big empires everytime a ruler died. I would love to see my game being affected by this. So to see big empires rise and fall. And new ones appear. And my empire i would like to see split in half, and completely challenged and almost destroyed by one or two new factions. That would make this mod the best mod ever.
    Giving too much army to re emergent factions feels very unrealistic historically. It is more realistic if rebellions are more frequent in areas with high unrest, but those rebellions are small in size.

The whole idea of conquering is to make your empire stronger. If conquering an enemy faction only means 4x stronger enemy faction to re emerge as a result, then is it really worth it and is it realistic....

Human conquerors can probably get around it by leaving a faction's last city alive. But computer conquerors would instead kill off the last city and get punished with 4 stacks of re emergent enemies and lose everything they worked hard for and get punished for playing better than its fellow computer players.

If you want more challenge as a human player, there are more ways, like never using your family member and mostly crappy units in battle, or always station your army outside of cities in peace time and risk rebellion, etc...
    Last edited by tentaku; September 08, 2018 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tentaku View Post
    Giving too much army to re emergent factions feels very unrealistic historically. It is more realistic if rebellions are more frequent in areas with high unrest, but those rebellions are small in size.

The whole idea of conquering is to make your empire stronger. If conquering an enemy faction only means 4x stronger enemy faction to re emerge as a result, then is it really worth it and is it realistic....

Human conquerors can probably get around it by leaving a faction's last city alive. But computer conquerors would instead kill off the last city and get punished with 4 stacks of re emergent enemies and lose everything they worked hard for and get punished for playing better than its fellow computer players.

If you want more challenge as a human player, there are more ways, like never using your family member and mostly crappy units in battle, or always station your army outside of cities in peace time and risk rebellion, etc...

Well historically speaking. Exterminating or completely wiping out a culture as a means of conquering a people was rare. Especially in the classical times, empires would try everything before destroying a culture, either vassalizing, civilizing, or even slowly assimilating. Completely wiping out a culture was rare. For example, the Carthaginians rise up against the romans two times before they got wiped out. Most pre-roman cultures in europe were slowly assimilated, the pax romana, that gave them plenty of space for rebellions that happened. Other than rebellions, there were migrations. A stable empire steamrolling everything on its way is really what is unrealistic. Empires always rise and fall.

The only reason the roman empire was so successful is because it worked like a corporation.

> The whole idea of conquering is to make your empire stronger. If conquering an enemy faction only means 4x stronger enemy faction to re emerge as a result, then is it really worth it and is it realistic....

Thats why you dont exactly conquer them. You crush their power and negotiate their capitulation. Completely destroying a culture is what leads to total war. The romans had much more to win by assimilating cultures and learning and incorporating them in their own empire.

> But computer conquerors would instead kill off the last city and get punished with 4 stacks of re emergent enemies and lose everything they worked hard for and get punished for playing better than its fellow computer players.

So it would be more historical accurate. Because whenever a faction overexpanded, it would soon face a form of colapse, others would unite against it, and it would soon be too decadent to keep up. So the best way to simulate this is by having rises and falls. And when a faction wipes out another it means it got too strong, and definitely should face some adversity. The other will rise and punish the big empire. Soon that empire falls, and a new one arises. So while that may be true that the big empires get punished and that the game gets renewed with a new rising up that is in no way a bad mechanic. It will make the game more tense, more realistic and more uncertain. The human player would have to deal with uprisings that would force him to withdraw and think about his actions and try to solve the conflicts with diplomacy instead of steamrolling everything on its way. Plus when factions remerge they will attack everything around them. So its a great great mechanic, to keep big empires at bay. The AI would get stronger in a general and would never get stucked, but would constantly escalate, with bigger and better empires rising up.

I myself avoid destroying factions as i think it is unrealistic. I always turn them into client kingdoms, or make peace, and kick them out to external regions, then i keep trading with them, when in peace. I rarely declare war out of the blue. There is no fun in steamrolling everything and playing like risk, game becomes too easy and boring, you know it does. Factions are always useful as trading partners, vassals, buffer kingdoms. I think Total War should have a penalty for destroying factions, both in reputation and other things. Killing a faction should be the last resort, i will sack their whole cities and destroy all the buildings before i accept a cease fire, and if they still giving me atittude then i may consider destroying them, like Rome to Carthage, even today we think of it as an atrocity.

Well historically speaking. Exterminating or completely wiping out a culture as a means of conquering a people was rare.
    You are right. Nowadays I hold myself back from destroying a faction completely as well. I just keep a full flag near their last city in case they try something funny, but you know they never agree to peace with me after this kind of ass whooping either :/ I think it has to do with A.I.'s objective. For example this Macedon A.I. after re emerging from its old capital Pella, keeps invading my Epirus coast, stack after stack.... ( re emerging factions are rich too haha) Since they want my Epirus so much, they never agreed to any ceasefire I offered.... And I am not even Epirus, I am Rome....

You are right. Nowadays I hold myself back from destroying a faction completely as well. I just keep a full flag near their last city in case they try something funny, but you know they never agree to peace with me after this kind of ass whooping either :/ I think it has to do with A.I.'s objective. For example this Macedon A.I. after re emerging from its old capital Pella, keeps invading my Epirus coast, stack after stack.... ( re emerging factions are rich too haha) Since they want my Epirus so much, they never agreed to any ceasefire I offered.... And I am not even Epirus, I am Rome....
    In these circumstances, use Force Diplomacy. A ceasefire and trade with you is beneficial to the economy of that surviving rump, so it isn't really an exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    In these circumstances, use Force Diplomacy. A ceasefire and trade with you is beneficial to the economy of that surviving rump, so it isn't really an exploit.
    That's a good suggestion

The trick is to vassalize them and give them a portion of money every few turns. You can also give them settlements. Especially if you are Greek you must avoid destroying Greek factions because they have your culture, push them to other lands, and they will develop these lands, and make them Greek, this is a lot of fun.

If you are fighting with a stubborn AI faction, destroy the faction. Then let it remerge and vassalize it. If this doesnt work, you can also conquer all their lands and give them a city in your borders, and they will fight the AI barbarians.

I found that SS6.4 has the diplomacy working very smooth and the AI is never an idiot and actually signs cease fire.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I hate using force diplomacy. I feel like im cheating.

I hate using force diplomacy. I feel like im cheating.
    giving money and offering vassalization sounds like a good plan as well.