Thread: Kings and Generals Youtube channel

Default Kings and Generals Youtube channel

This channel is really very good and well worth a look for anyone interested in the era. Example:
    https://youtu.be/k3Qelvsi_5E
    Last edited by Point Blank; September 08, 2018 at 03:25 PM.

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Kings and Generals Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    This channel is truly outstanding and well worth a look for anyone interested in the era. Example:
    https://youtu.be/k3Qelvsi_5E
    The entire Ottoman series is awesome. I never knew about Skanderbeg until I watched that episode. I am becoming thoroughly convinced that scouting your enemy and the territory, knowing multiple battle disciplines, and controlling when and where the battle takes place are much more important than being a genius commander.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Judeman266; September 06, 2018 at 07:16 PM.

That's all part of being a genius commander though, if you don't understand positioning you can't really be considered a genius commander. Sun Tzu in the 5th century BC understood that, an extremely important part of warfare and a key element of his "Art of War" was determining where you fought and understanding different types of terrain.

Yes Skanderberg, what a badass, I’d never heard of him either. How many Ottoman armies did he destroy?

I believe he destroyed one less then Baron Munchausen
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

discovered it quite a long time ago and watched for a bit, then they did a video about that Yarmouk meme battle so i kinda watched less and less stuff from them

i prefer Invicta's channel myself, King and Generals seems more geared towards low researched mass production videos, i like my historical videos to teach me something new that i cant simply read from wikipedia

Hey guys, thanks for your kind words, really appreciate that - Total War Center is like home, despite the fact that I am mainly a lurker. :-)

@Dekhatres we do not use wikipedia for our research. The sources we use are always in the description. The secret to the mass production is the ability to work with many different authors and creators. I'd say that we improved quite a bit since Yarmouk, but even Yarmouk was well researched, and we used a number of primary Byzantine and Arab sources. Still, thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkin1987 View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for your kind words, really appreciate that - Total War Center is like home, despite the fact that I am mainly a lurker. :-)

@Dekhatres we do not use wikipedia for our research. The sources we use are always in the description. The secret to the mass production is the ability to work with many different authors and creators. I'd say that we improved quite a bit since Yarmouk, but even Yarmouk was well researched, and we used a number of primary Byzantine and Arab sources. Still, thanks for the feedback.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistoria...n_empire_lose/

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Judeman266 View Post
    The entire Ottoman series is awesome. I never knew about Skanderbeg until I watched that episode. I am becoming thoroughly convinced that scouting your enemy and the territory, knowing multiple battle disciplines, and controlling when and where the battle takes place are much more important than being a genius commander.
    this exposes one of the main flaws in the current TW type of battles: you get two armies in the battlefield without any earlier preparation, choice etc. I think the TW badly needs the operation level: more for of war, more uncertainty, more difficult choices in command. For now - and especially in the newer TW games - there's little possibility to make up for the numerical disadvantage than to exploit the AI stupidity, like handling flank attacks, bridge battles, baiting with long range fire etc. In this context the Warhammer seems to make tactical battles (much?) better: various strategies may be employed, and the AI apparently is able to flank.

MatVego's Avatar Civis

I recommended you guys this channel, BazBattles: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx-...qodykvw/videos. It's very simillar (graphics, units) to Kings and Generals, but it's most focusing on battlefield.
    Last edited by MatVego; September 14, 2018 at 03:29 AM.
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither."
    - Benjamin Franclin (1706-1790)
    "The best fortress which a prince can possess is the affection of his people."
    -
    Niccolò Machiavelli (1469-1527)
    "A Nation That Does Not Respect His Past, Does Not Deserve Respect Of The Present And Has No Right To The Future."
    -Józef Piłsudski (1867-1935)

postm00v's Avatar Tiro

HistoryMarche surely deserves a mention. Similar to King and Generals. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8M...gDMTOnFTE8EUJw

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I recently discovered this series as well.

Between this, Invicta, and Historia Civilis (and many other channels) I am pretty well set for educational stuff.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    this exposes one of the main flaws in the current TW type of battles: you get two armies in the battlefield without any earlier preparation, choice etc. I think the TW badly needs the operation level: more for of war, more uncertainty, more difficult choices in command. For now - and especially in the newer TW games - there's little possibility to make up for the numerical disadvantage than to exploit the AI stupidity, like handling flank attacks, bridge battles, baiting with long range fire etc. In this context the Warhammer seems to make tactical battles (much?) better: various strategies may be employed, and the AI apparently is able to flank.
    I wonder if some kind of pre-battle script could be written that would give the player and AI some options in that regard? Maybe it could be tied in the general’s traits and the presence of light cavalry in the army for scouting.