View Poll Results: Do you play on Ironman mode?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

3 30.00%
  • No.

7 70.00%

Thread: Do you play in Ironman mode?

Default Do you play in Ironman mode?

Consider "Ironman mode" here as the self-imposing limitation of not reloading after defeats, failed agent attempts, trying alternate courses on decision points, etc. and only using saved games for continuity or recovering from technical errors, bugs or CTD purposes. In other words, no "cheating" from the player part.

If your answer is yes, please also inform the difficulty level of your preference. Thanks.

P.S: I couldn't find the Poll option.

Default Re: Do you play in Ironman mode?

Ironman mode is an optional gameplay flag that restricts control over the saved game, disallowing the player from correcting mistakes and changing decisions made during the course of play. Ironman can be enabled from the settings screen when starting a new campaign.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

I always play on Ironman mode

Normal / Normal

I never play Ironman; I think it is something for young players do to prove themselves. Generally, I only save games for two reasons; prior to a battle if I opt to autosave it because I expect it to end in a clear win or defeat. If it doesn't turn out the way I thought, then I reload the game and fight the battle manually. The other occasion is if I wanted to see how a certain action will change the game Usually, I know it is a bad decision, but my curiosity gets the better of me. 99% of the time I was right and I return to my original start point. I will restart games if a decision turns sour though.

@ OP, I think you have to have 25 posts for a poll option. You can ask the moderators/admin to add a poll for you.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwright93 View Post
    Of course I play almost all the games on maximum difficulty. That is how you get the most out of them. You should live life on the edge.

Cheers!
    I agree. You really have to play all to enjoy it fully.

The AI isn't smarter at the higher level, it is just buffed up and you are buffed down in certain areas.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

My view is similar to PikeStance's. I agree with the idea of not reloading after a defeat simply because you lost and want to win. I enjoy campaigns in which I need to recover from the occasional setback. I think there's a difference between, for example, reloading to roll the dice again (with an auto-resolved battle) and reloading to replay a battle manually (after being defeated when playing the battle manually the first time) to see if different tactics would have worked better. I enjoy books or TV shows which discuss historical battles or campaigns and consider whether different choices would have led to a different outcome.

Similarly, if I've invested many hours in a campaign and make a strategic error on the campaign map, then I don't have a problem with going back a few turns occasionally to try a different strategy and see if it works better. I wouldn't want to have to re-play the entire campaign each time to reach the same point to test whether a different strategy would work better.