Thread: Putting Etruscan chariots back in charge... (RotR unit mod)

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Default Putting Etruscan chariots back in charge... (RotR unit mod)

Update: Unit is done and has been released! Download the unit here.

So this is a mod with a very limited audience, it's fair to say. I don't see a lot of custom unit threads here. In any event, this mod grew out of a discussion in the Rome II general forum about the Rise of the Republic DLC. If you've read today's patch notes you'll see that Tarchuna is having chariots taken away as a general's bodyguard, even in custom battles. In fact, their very inclusion in the first place was an accident.

This was disappointing for me. I pre-ordered the DLC in part because I saw the roster in a youtube vid prior to release, and I was looking forward to play as the last vestige of chariot warfare in the Italian peninsula. But when I started playing the game, I noticed that no matter what I built or what skill trees I exhausted, the unit I dreamed of playing in eluded me. I went to the CA forums and asked if this was a bug. Yes, they said. It was a bug that they ever included it in the first place. But chariots would be available as lower units. This was strange. As chariots disappeared from the battlefield, because of their expense and prestige they became concentrated at the higher ranks, not the lowest. In all probability they ended up as “battle taxis” for generals and the wealthy first class ranks, rather than a shock unit manned by unarmored peasants riding in a Gallic chariot (??!!) as we get in the game. And so, in my madness and defiance, I set about building my first mod.

I decided as an inspiration I'd use the Montecalvario chariot. It's close to the right period (if I recall correctly) and could have seen use on the battlefield, as opposed to other finds which were almost certainly parade chariots. For the chariot I used the “chariot_roman” model as it's the closest in appearance. Yes, it has scythes but that didn't stop CA from using it in Empire Divided with the scythes basically non-functional as far as the stats go. (They won't cut so much as a blade of grass in this mod.)

And here's a few grabs of these beauties in action:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Right now the unit is nearly done, with a couple of bugs to be ironed out. Why am I wasting a thread on one custom unit in a DLC most probably don't own? Well, it's my first mod, and I'm hoping for feedback, suggestions, and most of all...beta testers. So let me know your thoughts below.
    Last edited by Skotos of Sinope; September 21, 2018 at 08:34 PM.

Clint_Eastwood's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Putting Etruscan chariots back in charge... (RotR unit mod)

You done brilliant mate for first mod!! Very nice indeed

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar BEARDED MODERATION

Congrats since this is solid work, not only for first mod but in general. We'll be happy to have it as a submod in our DEI forums as well.

Keep it up!

Thanks, you guys. And thanks for the offer GS. I don't want to get too ahead of myself just yet though. I think I already might have jinxed this by thinking it was nearly done. If anyone needs proof that I'm new to modding, an interesting technical snag has popped up. I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue and could offer a solution. So, the mod was coming along nicely, and was working great in both custom battle and campaign mode. Then I started adding the .loc entries for the unit name and descriptions and now the unit won't show up in the game.

I've run it passed a couple of modders and they don't see any noticeable errors in those entries, so nothing jumps out at them immediately that could explain the issue. Anybody have any thoughts?

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Primicerius

You should download UPC language pack and then add you entries there, then it will show up.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...dated-1-9-2018
    But you can't turn back the time It always gonna wait on the line Some may wish never to be born
    Wasting the dawn Like a rose growing from the Christ's thorn Wasting the dawn

The 69 Eyes - Wasting the Dawn

My Mods

Thanks Brutus, I'll keep that in mind if I ever get stuck on anything again. Thankfully though, M@x1mus has fixed this for me. We're back on track now..

Updated the original post because this is ready to test! Download the public beta unit here. I think I'll wait a few days for any bugs to show up but I'll probably release it before the weekend.

For anyone who needs extra incentive, another purrrdy look at them in action (This time using GEM):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It took a little bit longer because I didn't want to just do a re-skin of the vanilla unit and enable its recruiting by generals. This is rebuilt from the ground up to be something new. See, during the discussion I had with CA at their forums, I told them that if chariots were still on the battlefield during the period it would have been as battle taxis for generals. They actually agreed and said they looked into it, but then they remembered that coding is hard. (Okay that's not fair. They said the coding wouldn't let them do it.) So while I was doing this I thought long and hard about how could you make a R2:TW version of chariot battle taxis in a way that paid tribute to their historical role: a unit designed not to deal damage but to inspire, motivate and buff those around them. So you'll see that the unit's offensive firepower has been nerfed, it's more heavily armored and slower, and all of its attributes have been replaced, now including adding the “encourages” attribute to increase morale of neighboring units within its proximity.

Outstanding issues:

*Special abilities will be added, again to approximate the historical role. Likely something similar to Caesar's 'presence'.
    *Strengths and weaknesses on stat page are not correct and will be fixed.
    *In early testing, this unit was still a bit OP, so I actually took its armor down a little, but this may still be adjusted some more.

Special thanks to Magnar and M@x1mus for instruction and troubleshooting.
    Last edited by Skotos of Sinope; September 10, 2018 at 04:12 PM.

Well done mate! Nice work!

Released!

Changes from beta include:

- Returned original armor to 'chest_improved' instead of 'chest'.

- And as the point of a battle taxi unit is to be “a rally point on wheels”, the Satelles chariots now have the special ability “Charisma of Laran”. For a limited duration, units within the area of influence will have their fatigue frozen, their morale and melee damage buffed while being able to ignore any damage received. But if the general dies, those units will receive a greater debuff.

I'm still working on reducing the offensive capability of the unit, which is not easy, and a lot of it is baked into the game's physics. Anyway, thanks everyone for your indulgence of this little passion project. I don't really consider myself a modder yet, but this was really fun and I learned a lot.

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Civis

Definetely a nice addition to the game. Well done!