Thread: Some tweaks and fixes about Romania

Default Some tweaks and fixes about Romania

It's been ages since I was last active in here, but finding myself getting into the Total War games again, I decided to give this mod a go. I noticed some years ago that the map was a bit off thanks to the vanilla version. The Moldavian region was given to the Russians. Problem here was that a part of it was indeed Russian (Basserabia), but the city on the map (Iasi) was Romanian. It is clear that the Romanian faction faced little love from the developers, but that is completely understandable. You can not though only give Romania one province in this situation, because in order to take Moldavia, you need to attack the historical ally, Russia. Also, Romania has no means to do research, but with the addition of Moldavia, you can build a town and start an university there. Unfortunately, that was bugged and couldn't actually do any research, so I fixed that too.

The mod is known to have some issues with the crashes at the end turn, but as of now, I had no crashes with my changes. I gotta admit that I've played a bit with the unit sizes too. I started the campaign by mistake with small sizes, and because I only focused on buildings, I only observed the small size of the units by 1915, but seeing that I had no crashes, I decided to change that too ... so I played a bit more with the files and now the save game I will post down there will have huge size units, and still no crashes (right now I'm about to enter 1917 and no crashes).

I will post there all the files I edited in order to make Romania a better country to play .. and I will post the savegame from 1915 too, in case you don't really want to modify the startpos file.

Take note and make copies of the files that you are putting my files over.
    _GreatWar5_DB_Tech_Effects -> you put that in Napoleon Total War/data/The Great War/Files. (This fixes the game so the universities can actually research in the minor countries)
    ---Romania Early June 1915 ->thats the savegame, you put it in the save_games folder. Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Napoleon/save_games. You don't need this file in order for the fixes to work.

EDIT: startpos -> this is an updated version of the above 'fixed Romania ww1' file, which adds an university for Romania at the start at the campaign. You unzip the file into Napoleon Total War/data/campaigns/ww1_main.

Once again, make copies of the files you are overwriting with mine! I am very far from actually being a modding capable fella'. For the most part, I just followed guides in order to achieve this, and I thought that it would be a shame to leave this little work just for me, because I think many people run away from these little things, but might still want to enjoy the tweaks.

TL;DR -> These files are giving Romania the Moldavian region and fixes the university not being able to research anything.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Warhell; September 30, 2018 at 02:42 AM.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Default Re: Some tweaks and fixes about Romania

Nice work man! + rep

I have given Romania the Moldavian region and reworked their starting buildings for the next update but theres still a while to go before its released so this will be a good fix in the meantime. I also gave them a starting army.

I dont believe I was able to fix the university working tho, how did you fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Nice work man! + rep

I have given Romania the Moldavian region and reworked their starting buildings for the next update but theres still a while to go before its released so this will be a good fix in the meantime. I also gave them a starting army.

I dont believe I was able to fix the university working tho, how did you fix that?
    Very nice to hear that! I appreciate your attention to Romania!

Fixing the university bug was a bit tricky. I loaded the file _GreatWar5_DB_Tech_Effects.pack with the Pack File Manager (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...e-Manager-1-11), and then I went to db, building_effects_junction_tables and then I clicked on tgw5_building_effects_junction, I scrolled down in the right until I got to tTown3_Education, tTown4_Education and tTown5_Education. I then clicked on Clone Row for each one, and on the newly created lines I modified gdp_industry (for all of them) to research_points, and then I gave the first one (tTown3_Education) value 35, second (tTown4) 50 and the third (tTown5), 75. Saved and that was it. It works like charm, even with save games!

I'm very glad to be able to help. It's the very least I can do to show my gratitude for this amazing mod.

Also, it's very good that you made me to do the process all over again. While doing it I realised that I've put a wrong .pack file in the attachments above. I've somehow put the models pack file, instead of the DB Tech pack file. I fixed it though and should be good to work.
    Last edited by Warhell; September 01, 2018 at 05:33 PM.

So I've made some photos with the changes. On the first photo it's the university in Moldavia, that is shown as working. During the campaigns I noticed that is very hard to get my hands on the second Great War Doctrine (the one being researched in the photo). As you can see, it's 1916 and I'm pretty much the only nation in the game that does not have it. I of course tried to buy it from others, but nevermind how much money I'd give, they wouldn't do it. In a way, I think it is good that way, because the Romanian army was really bad in 1916, and only managed to be somewhat capable in 1917. I'd still recommend though for Romania to start with an university, or at least a college in Chisinau, as it still takes a lot to build it from a town. I'd also recommend, if possible, for Romania to get at least one general from the beginning (maybe gen. Averescu), because you can not actually recruit one. I will try to look it up and do this myself, but if anyone knows exactly how to do this, please tell me.

On the second and third photo is the beginning of the campaign and the place where the university must be created, while the fourth shows the diplomatic map. Here I would actually suggest for Romania to start as a trade partner with Austria-Hungary, because initially, Romania almost joined the war on the side of the Central Powers. I will try to see what I can do about that too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Napoleon 2018-09-02 08-56-38-16.jpg   Napoleon 2018-09-02 08-59-13-75.jpg   Napoleon 2018-09-02 08-59-30-99.jpg   Napoleon 2018-09-02 09-03-52-16.jpg  

Patrician

I would absolutely like Romania to start with a university, Greece too actually. We didnt give them universities before because they couldnt research. Same with the generals, we have a glitch in the mod where most minor nations cant recruit generals and we havent been able to fix it. If you could possibly fix that that would be amazing!

My favorite nation to play as is Austria-Hungary and Ive play-tested as them many times which is why i decided to give Romania the other region because I love the whole area. I also buffed Romania's starting army, as well as Greece and the Ottomans to make it more interesting. Having generals would make it much better IMO.

Id really like to use any fixes you can do in the next update, ill have to run it by the guys but i dont think anyone will object.

I've done some research about that issue but I still couldn't find a way to give them generals at the beginning. What I found out though is that you can recruit generals in the late game, when you have the last buildings. What if we could change it so the starting military building could be able to recruit generals?

Also, you should really try to see if that university fix works properly! So far, from what I gather from my game, everyone is able to do research after I've done that.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Warhell View Post
    I've done some research about that issue but I still couldn't find a way to give them generals at the beginning. What I found out though is that you can recruit generals in the late game, when you have the last buildings. What if we could change it so the starting military building could be able to recruit generals?
    Hmm that could work, ill look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhell View Post
    Also, you should really try to see if that university fix works properly! So far, from what I gather from my game, everyone is able to do research after I've done that.
    Ill give the university fix a try and see if it fixes Greece as well. Which program do you use to edit the startpos? Ive been having issues with the program i use for some reason.

Well, for startpos I used ESF, but the fix for the researching thing comes from the _GreatWar5_DB_Tech_Effects.pack file, on which I used Pack File Manager to open and edit. I wrote above how I've done it.
    Tomorrow I'll try it myself with Greece and let you know the results.

I'd like to do that change myself with making the first military buildings able to recruit generals, so if you find out how that can be done, please let me know!
    Last edited by Warhell; September 04, 2018 at 04:38 PM.

As promised, I tried one campaign with Greece. I created a college, and it works! It's researching!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Napoleon 2018-09-05 09-22-00-02.jpg  

Patrician

You rock man! TWC wont let me rep you again yet lol

Did you add that university using the ESF editor or just building it in game. Can you post a link to the ESF editor you used to add that university?

Theres like 4 versions and they all seem to break the startpos when i try to use them
    Last edited by B-DizL; September 05, 2018 at 03:09 PM.

I did not use the ESF editor to add the university. I just went into the campaign and started building it naturally. The college was up and running by April 1915, so it does not take that much time.
    I've only used the ESF editor to give Moldavia to Romania, but sure, I will post it here.
    https://netix.dl.sourceforge.net/pro...or%201.4.5.zip

If you could send me a guide or tell me how to give the minor countries universities, I could try to do it for you! I think I have an idea on how it's working but I did not yet try to do it.

Nevermind, I've done it!
    Romania now starts with an university! Gonna update the first post. You can see in the photos that there is no crash and it is actually researching!
    If you wish, I could start adding universities to all the minor nations that are lacking them. Just tell me if you want that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napoleon 2018-09-06 09-25-22-86.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	364.3 KB 
ID:	354843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napoleon 2018-09-06 09-26-09-03.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	354844
    Last edited by Warhell; September 06, 2018 at 01:37 AM.

Patrician

Awesome! Thanks for the link

One issue tho, the startpos you are working with is out of date, the new 5.2 startpos has been completely overhauled compared to the one from the last update.

Ill try editing it with the esf editor in the link you posted and if that fails I'll send you the new startpos so you can add it for me

Theres a few other things I'd like to fix in the new startpos as well but I'll let yo know what those are if my attempts fail.
    Last edited by B-DizL; September 06, 2018 at 07:59 PM.

Patrician

So I finally got the campaign working again on my local copy of the mod, it kept crashing whenever i tried to load the campaign. I thought it was because i broke the startpos when trying to edit it recently but apparently not because i got it working now. So i should be able to make all the new edits to the startpos. The university fix will need to be done again in the new db pack because its been updated alot from the version you have as well. Ill PM you a link.

Heres a look at Romania in 5.2. I added a starting army and gave them the Moldova. Also i fixed the camera starting location for almost all factions so now when you start a campaign as Romania the camera is centered on Bucharest

Isn't it possible to extend the map? Like have the Ottoman Empire actually in Turkey and have Bulgaria as a faction?

Too bad the modding tools dont allow that, since a there was a lot of fighting around the Suez Canal and other eastern parts of Turkey. Also the map layout, cities and territories dosen't help that much separating countries.

Can't wait to play with Romania.

Patrician

No one has found a way to change the map itself yet unfortunately. We do have Bulgarian troops available for recruitment with the Ottomans so the Bulgarians arent completely left out. We felt the Ottomans needed representation in the map anyway so thats why we went the way we did.

There is however the middle eastern map that includes the suez canal and its been a pet project of mine to work on that. Sadly my modding skills arent good enough that i can do it myself as i dont want to take work/time away from the main TGW mod to work on a side mod. Maybe someday itll be done.