Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mononofù

Default Re: Mononofù

The name said nothing to him, didn't bring any memories at all, or had any meaning for the sourthern man. But it didn't matter.

"Her name be praised"

He simply left, arms tuckered into the sleeves as he walked towards the indicated direction, with swift steps. He kept walking to the right.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

The central shrine, with its great tower, is to your left. It catches your eye, once again, this time illuminated in the grey morning of the new year. The soil beyond the open shutters, steps down and to your left, is damp and patched with snow yet still, but the only disturbance in the air is the chill gusts that blow back and forth across the courtyard, whistling in through the trees and from the sky.

Sure enough, to the right, you find a great section of this long building which juts inwards, a large square in the corner of the temple grounds. You know the edge is just beyond, and you pass by a small passage which breaks to your right, uncovered by roof, leading to a small gate.. Beyond, the stone lanterns of the dead dot another pathway. But you pass it by. You come to the entrance hall, and enter into the open portal.

Inside, your entrance prompts another servant to bow in the threshold. His prostration points you to yet another portal, and you come into a larger, inner hall. The floor erupts upwards some feet beyond the door, a dais of smooth polished wood covered with mats and little tables and armrests. Between this fixtures are living figures, yet so still and patient you might mistake them. At the center is a man with more color and design to his kariginu - a ceremonial style, once used a hunting garb in the days of gods past. His head is topped with a black hat which rises high above his scalp like a tower.

"I bid you a good morning and a warm welcome to Henjō-taisha," the priest speaks. Crow's feet betray the twilight of his years, but his voice is young.

Kuratomo does the ceremonial salute that was obligued in such a situation. He did what he had to do before a man of God and a man of power, who usually and, specially in this case, were one and the same. One must pay respect to the divinity that may splinter the sky in half and to the man that could do the same to your spine. Such is life, such is common sense, such is tradition. Kneeling as a symbol of submission and respect.

"I thank you"

He said. His voice was deep, but rash.

"The night of rest and the warmth of your hearth have been deeply appreciated. Heaven and Sun bestow blessings to you and your people, my Lord, thrice"

A slow dip of the man's tower hat - called an eboshi - acknowledges the visitor's courtesy.

"We must firstly ask of your intentions in seeking shelter."

Unexpectedly, perhaps, the woman beside him speaks up. She is dressed in a way nostalgic to you Kuratomo, buried in at least seven layers of thick silk if not more, making the man in the center seem rustic and restrained.

"You are a warrior, we have been told. Do you come from far away?"

She is much younger than the priest of the shrine, her voice soft like a girl's, but no one seems to deny her right to speak.

He replied, firstly, to the lord of the shrine, whose question was less thorny than the second one, which would be way harder to reply.

"I came looking for an employer, my sword could be of use for any lord willing to hire some muscle. I have spent a month on the road, looking for a suitable place to offer my services, gods be blessed I heard about your shrine"

Said Kuratomo, despite his looks and gaze suggested he was more than a regular hired muscle, no matter his skill with a blade or a bow. His atention now focused on the rich-robed woman, whose clothes announced a high-born lady. The age was misleading, she could either be a nubile secondary wife or even a mere concubine, but the later was less likely than the former. She could also be the lord's offspring or a close female relative of his. Whatever the relation, she being as daring as to speak openly in an audience was a significant detail Kuratomo could not and wished not to miss. He was sharp and atentive and thus tried to read her intentions below the layer of make up and the rigid costumbe that concealed her figure.

"I do come from the sourthern lands, beyond the mountain ridges, were the sun shines brighter"

He did not share anything else, neither his brithplace nor the location of his usurped keep. It was better to not spoil his own facade that early.

This family, this court - they appear like dolls. Unmoving, indifferent, like the painted faces of dancers. You are not bothered by this, but it has been a long time since you have witnessed such grace and self-control.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Sounds like you want to read a person. When you read a person in a charged interaction, roll+sharp.
    On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 1. While you’re interacting with them, spend your hold to ask their player questions, 1 for 1:
    • Is your character telling the truth?
    • What’s your character really feeling?
    • What does your character intend to do?
    • What does your character wish I’d do?
    • How could I get your character to __?

On a miss, ask 1 anyway, but be prepared for the worst.

Advanced: on a 12+, hold 3, but spend them 1 for 1 to ask any question you like.

Two 6's? Wow

Okay, so you can ask me any 3 questions you like about the woman, or I can simply give Kuratomo more insight in general.

More insight in general

Even her tongue is a subtle memoir of the more sophisticated places of the world; faint, but you hear it in the way she stresses different syllables. It's an assumption, an inclination, but a strong one. You remember the greatest of the women who wear numerous layers of silk and paint their teeth dark as a moonless sky. You suspect she is one not easily flattered, if she is no imitation. If she is not, perhaps some culture would impress her - or at least, soften her.

The elder men in the room - which made a majority of the handful of figures seated in a semi-arc before Kuratomo - all seemed to share glances of their eyes. They seemed to hold no surprise. Disdain was possible, but unclear. The lord - if that was who he was - nodded again and tilted his head slightly.

"Tsutsuji is a land at peace. With the blessings of the spirits, there is no place for such impure work." The priest says this all with an indifferent and dry tone, a reminder that those of gentle birth often have an aloof and contemptuous perspective on violence and the prospect of it.

There was an image of times past forming in his head, vividly, as arising from the depths of memory. A woman, kneeling ceremoniously, serving tea under a canopy of pink-colored flowers, the petals of which littered the pathway. Smoke, the sound of running water, subtle. There was a time the own Kuratomo had glanced teeth like those any day, from his high-born and well-mannered sisters to his father's fourth and fifth concubines. But this woman was sharp, undoubtedly, she looked like having the full grasp of the situation, in control somehow, despite women were thought of feeble stock and not deemed by worthy of having any sort of power by men.

"A land of peace needs to be guarded against aggression, such is the way of prudence. An unprotected land only caughts the prying eyes of predators, as an exposed lair to a bird of prey. There is wisdom in having a sword, for the slightest promise of violence is a cautious measure to defend yourself and your people from wanton attacks"

He said.

"Gods be witnesses, there are all manners of threats I can deal with, even outside the walls of your blessed enclosure"

The lord did had a wall and watchers, it had to be more than mere precaution.

One of the master's lesser men to his right - his eye twitches, ever so slightly. You catch it.

"We recognize your skill at arms, master Kuratomo, but there is no blood to spill on this mountain."

The lord pauses. He adjusts his sleeves, throwing them out and then inwards with the usual gesture of the arms.

"Nevertheless, you are welcome to our hospitality until the full moon returns."

"And I am oh so thankful for your offer of hospitality"

He said with a nod, his arms akimbo.

"I will remain in your household until the moon is retored to her fullest"

The retainer had twitched an eye. Something was amiss in that place, something lurked beyond the formulaic mask of courtesy and piety.

"In case you need my sword's edge, be free to call for it any time, my Lord"

The sable-peaked lord nods one final time, this one more full, curving the spine forward. The woman and the retainers follow suit. It is now time for Kuratomo to prostrate himself thrice and back away from the western wing. Leaving the way you came, you have multiple options before you, whether or not you notice or consider them.

A pathway to your right leads down a narrow shaded rock path, lit only by the stone lanterns of the dead. The left wall is part of the great western hall, connected only by a strange unusual bridge a floor above you. The right border of the path seems to be the perimeter wall of the compound. You can see the path leads out to an opening in the perimeter wall, leading apparently into thick forest, though you can perceive more spirit-fire casting ambient light beyond the wall's seeming end.

You could also keep going, back into the open air of the compound, as expected, but stop and explore the perhaps the main shrine, or explore the rest of the compound at your discretion, though you can feel the eggshells beneath the soles of your feet. Back at your quarters, you may simply pass the time in further rest and leisure, such as a bath or finer vittles which you haven't tasted for seasons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12