Thread: Starting year change?

Default Starting year change?

Are there any Mods that change the start year to further back? Like around 280 to 400 bc or something? This mod is amazing but I don't see the sense in making the start date so much later, it forces you into war with Carthage from out outset and trying to manage all the territories is a right pain.

This is the one feature of this mod I do not understand, after going to all the effort to make such an engrossing and deep mod, why take away opportunities by starting halfway through the second Punic war?!? If anything I thought they would have gone in the other direction...

Default Re: Starting year change?

I think this year was chosen because in Attila you can't modify cities on the campaign map, and starting earlier would be strange with only one city (Corinth) in Greece

well, i agree with you. i'd like a more archaic start, maybe with rome just in latium or south italy
    Quote Originally Posted by titus36 View Post
    Are there any Mods that change the start year to further back? Like around 280 to 400 bc or something? This mod is amazing but I don't see the sense in making the start date so much later, it forces you into war with Carthage from out outset and trying to manage all the territories is a right pain.

This is the one feature of this mod I do not understand, after going to all the effort to make such an engrossing and deep mod, why take away opportunities by starting halfway through the second Punic war?!? If anything I thought they would have gone in the other direction...

Yes my friend exactly! I always liked the idea of building up Rome right from scratch, the years when the rise of the republic mod is set would be awesome. You could choose a totally different path for Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by hlidskjalf View Post
    I think this year was chosen because in Attila you can't modify cities on the campaign map, and starting earlier would be strange with only one city (Corinth) in Greece
    I'd be more than willing to sacrifice a bit of realism to enhance the gameplay. Any idea how easy would it be to change the start date and starting positions of a few factions? I don't imagine those factors are hardcoded as so many mods alter them.

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by titus36 View Post
    I'd be more than willing to sacrifice a bit of realism to enhance the gameplay. Any idea how easy would it be to change the start date and starting positions of a few factions? I don't imagine those factors are hardcoded as so many mods alter them.
    You'd have to learn startpos modding. There are tutorials. Though I couldn't figure out how to edit an existing mod's startpos when I was trying.
    I'm sure someone will help you.

If only there were a few more regions in Greece and Sicily instead of the Arabian and Sarmatian deserts, the map would be far more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio-Claudian View Post
    You'd have to learn startpos modding. There are tutorials. Though I couldn't figure out how to edit an existing mod's startpos when I was trying.
    I'm sure someone will help you.

If only there were a few more regions in Greece and Sicily instead of the Arabian and Sarmatian deserts, the map would be far more fun.
    If you wanted a decent early mod you'd also need to add in the Camillan Roman units including Rorarii, Accensi and spear armed Hastati and Principes. Otherwise you will completely miss out on the Roman armies which played a key role in the Samnite, Pyrrhic and 1st Punic Wars.

You'd also need to create Epirus, the Samnites, Syracuse and the Etruscans from scratch including all buildings and rosters, so it's not just a case of fiddling with starting positions.

Tbh if that's what you want then you'd probably be better off playing DEI for Rome II. The map is better for that period, and they have already adapted the Rise of the Republic DLC and the Wrath of Sparta DLC to represent the early period of Rome and the Macedonian Wars.