Thread: AK Won't Build Startpos

Default AK Won't Build Startpos

I'm new to TW modding, so I've been trying to do a very minimal startpos mod, just to see if I can, before I start actually working on a mod (I've just changed the Saxons' starting treasury to 1000--nothing else has been touched). I haven't been able to get the Kit to even build the startpos, however. Since I'm so new, I've watched several youtube guides, mostly from Magyar, and read some tutorials here on the forum.

Following Magyar's instructions, I've run BOB once just to build the data into a mod.pack file, and put that file in the Total War Attila/data folder. Selected that mod in the launcher, then exited.

Then, when I run BOB again, it fails at the "Process start pos (main_attila)" stage, with this error message

Startpos file not found after running the game!

=====================================
    Duration: 40 sec(s)
    I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong with the Power of Google, so I've been forced to ask for help. I did notice another thread on here from a few months ago with pretty much the same issue: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ning-the-game! There wasn't a resolution there. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Default Re: AK Won't Build Startpos

OK, so I tried again after I got home from work today. Here's a detailed explanation of what I did:

1. Uninstalled the AK and deleted the Total War Attila/assembly_kit folder
    2. Reinstalled the AK
    3. Opened Tweak > DaVE
    4. Opened Form Launcher > starting_positions
    5. Changed the campaign to main_attila
    6. Changed the faction to #79 – att_fact-western_roman_empire
    7. Changed Treasury to 1000
    8. Exited starting_postions
    9. Clicked on to Export > Export Changes to Binary
    10. Received the “Tables Exported” notification
    11. Opened BOB
    12. Under Retail, clicked on data
    13. Clicked Start
    14. BOB was successful
    15. Went to assembly_kit/retail/data and copied the mod.pack file to Total War Attila/data
    16. Went back to Steam and opened the Total War: Attila launcher
    17. Activated ONLY the mod.pack mod, checking that all others are deactivated
    18. Exited the launcher
    19. Opened BOB again
    20. At this point, BOB proceeded to freeze at the “scanning local files” part of its starting process. I tried again—same thing. I rebooted. It worked perfectly. This was the first time that happened, so I think this was a random error, unrelated to my main issue, but who knows?
    21. Under Working Data, expanded campaigns, selected main_attila, and checked the boxes for both Campaign / Process start pos and Pack / Create pack file
    22. Clicked start
    23. Waited for the error, clicked cancel and then the play button on Attila
    24. Attila started (no sound)
    25. After about twenty or thirty seconds, Attila disappeared
    26. BOB completed, with the same error:

Startpos file not found after running the game!

=====================================
    Duration: 45 sec(s)

Any ideas?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Double post -_-
    Last edited by Daruwind; August 31, 2018 at 06:12 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

I tried yesterdy to build Attila startpos and first time i got the same freeze on scanning local changes in bob, because i was not playing with Attila AK for a long time,I reinstalled it...,make sure both steam folder and appdata were erased and then the test startpos was built normally

basically doing nothing after point 17 from your list, mod.pack was fine..
    Last edited by Daruwind; August 31, 2018 at 02:14 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind;15654324I
    reinstall it...,make sure both steam folder and appdata is erased and then the test startpos was build normally

basically doing nothing after point 17 from your list, mod.pack was fine..

Thanks! I'll give that a try tonight.
    Last edited by Ares_Casai; August 31, 2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Formatting

You only have to build the data pack first if you are adding new factions to the campaign, otherwise just go straight into creating the new startpos for the campaign you are creating.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Athos187 View Post
    You only have to build the data pack first if you are adding new factions to the campaign, otherwise just go straight into creating the new startpos for the campaign you are creating.
    Got it. That makes sense. This time I skipped steps 12 - 20 of my earlier list, and followed DaVinci's instructions from his tutorial here on the forum.

I reinstalled it...,make sure both steam folder and appdata were erased and then the test startpos was built normally
    I uninstalled both the game and the AK, and deleted the steamapps/common/Total War Attila folder and the [username]/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly folder. Reinstalled the game and the AK.

I still got the exact same error again (twice, because I tried it a couple of times). Did I miss a folder I should have deleted, maybe?

So ... I seem to have solved the problem. I tried installing everything on two other machines and creating a mod on them, on the theory that maybe it was a weird hardware or OS bug with my gaming rig. When I was trying it on the second machine, I messed up on step #23. Instead of clicking cancel on the error, I clicked OK by mistake, and BOB finished everything successfully. I went back and tried the same thing on my gaming rig, and it worked there too. I put the mod.pack file in my data folder, and it worked--my changes showed up when I started a campaign.

Apparently, step #23 should be: wait for the error message on Steam, and click OK.

gdwitt's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Ares_Casai View Post
    So ... I seem to have solved the problem. I tried installing everything on two other machines and creating a mod on them, on the theory that maybe it was a weird hardware or OS bug with my gaming rig. When I was trying it on the second machine, I messed up on step #23. Instead of clicking cancel on the error, I clicked OK by mistake, and BOB finished everything successfully. I went back and tried the same thing on my gaming rig, and it worked there too. I put the mod.pack file in my data folder, and it worked--my changes showed up when I started a campaign.

Apparently, step #23 should be: wait for the error message on Steam, and click OK.

This is not working.
    I get no error message on Steam; Attila launches as soon as Bob converts everything to Binary.
    Attila then hangs.
    It can hang all night and the cpu gets very hot.