Thread: Please help: I can't recruit in non-french cities in SP Campaign

Icon4 Please help: I can't recruit in non-french cities in SP Campaign

I'm really worried that I made an installation error. I'm running 7.6 and playing the 1805 campaign. I am playing french and can only recruit in french cities! I have plenty of foreign cities under my control, many of which have barracks, drill schools, etc. I can't recruit anyone in any of those cities. Is this a bug? Intentional? Should I destroy all military buildings in foreign cities as they are worthless?

I could really use some help here...

Default Re: Please help: I can't recruit in non-french cities in SP Campaign

I believe it is on purpose to simulate the idea you have to bring reinforcements manually from your mainland 99% of the time.

It may be possible that with enough tech and\or sufficient military buildings, you may recruit limited amount of troops abroad but don't quote me on that, as it has been a while since I tried the mod's SP.

Lord Davn's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by tanelorn2 View Post
    I am playing french and can only recruit in French cities! I have plenty of foreign cities under my control, many of which have barracks, drill schools, etc. I can't recruit anyone in any of those cities. Is this a bug? Intentional? Should I destroy all military buildings in foreign cities as they are worthless?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjarr View Post
    I believe it is on purpose to simulate the idea you have to bring reinforcements manually from your mainland 99% of the time.
    The NTW3 mod is not like the vanilla game were you can recruit all over the map. The French can recruit from regions where they historically raised troops to fight with the Grand Armee.
    Suggest you read page 1 of this thread for helpful notes on the NTW3 campaign game: "France can recruit units from Netherlands, Wurttemberg, Bavaria, Saxony & Poland when they occupy and take control of these regions
    .........In addition the French can recruit Duchy of Berg units from Cleves, and Nassau units from Hessen when occupied peacefully."

The barrack & Admin buildings are an integral part of the economy and recruitment for the various regions as shown below, if you're NOT seeing these stats for your buildings then the NTW3 mod has not installed properly.
    If that is the case I'd strongly suggest that you restore the Vanilla files (option in the NTW3 launcher), UNinstall the NTW3 mod then verify your original NTW files through Steam:
    GO to Library, right click Napoleon: Total War & select Properties (at the bottom), then select Local Files and run Verify Integrity of Game Files
    play a few vanilla games to make sure everything is running properly and then reinstall the NTW3 mod (note if you've previously had DarthMod installed you may have to reinstall the original vanilla game as DM overwrites the data files)

Last edited by Lord Davn; August 30, 2018 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks for the info. I searched the forums for SP campaign info but didn't notice these restrictions. It looks like barracks, etc. are pointless in foreign lands and that I should destroy them and build alternate buildings. Not much difference between them and civil buildings. I wish you could at least recruit militia and conscript fusiliers in foreign cities. Piping in these basic units from halfway across the map is a major pain.

Lord Davn's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by tanelorn2 View Post
    I wish you could at least recruit militia and conscript fusiliers in foreign cities. Piping in these basic units from halfway across the map is a major pain.
    The Rhine States, Northern Italy and Polish troops were very reliable but as the French got further away from their borders it became increasingly difficult to recruit and retain units that were willing to fight for the French cause (after all these were Napoleon's wars). Many of the Prussian troops that Napoleon marched into Russia with would wander off or get lost, the units were fortunate to retain half the men they started with.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Would be great if all nations could recruit at least 1 militia quality unit from every place they conquer. Cities in the game represent significant areas in real life, with lots of people. There are always few people willing to fight for new master.

Altough you do get armed citizenry in siege battles i believe, so maybe that is enough

Is this possible: once you conquer a city, you can only gain troops from it by building entirely new chain of buildings (or first demolish what is built if there is no room and then build). It makes sense if after substantial investment into city you would eventually be able to recruit some locals who are loyal enough to serve you - even if they would never have that good morale.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer