Thread: Berserker Unit Preview

Default Berserker Unit Preview

Berserkers are going to be one of the more unique units that the Shieldwall mod has to offer. Our version of the unit draws some of its inspiration from Viking Conquest for Warband and Viking Invasion for MTW1. The unit will be small and rare, on large unit size the unit will consist of 12 men. What makes our unit unique is we have some mixed weapons. You can expect to see Dane axes, one handed axes, swords and shields being used . They're a small band of elite warriors that are able to disrupt and cause mayhem to the enemies battle line, but with their small numbers they will get overwhelmed if not properly supported.

Unit Pictures
    [High-Res]

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Some of custom shield patterns of Berserkir

Their Unit Card with custom shield pattern applied

Last edited by Kinjo; September 15, 2018 at 01:12 AM.

Default Re: Berserker Unit Preview

If your going for a historically accurate look you should think about removing all if not most of the chainmail, there is some nice leather armor models available for the vikings that I think would suit this early period better.

This is a good line describing the Berserkers from a famous icelandic poet, "His (Odin's) men rushed forwards without armour, were as mad as dogs or wolves, bit their shields, and were strong as bears or wild oxen, and killed people at a blow, but neither fire nor iron told upon them. This was called Berserkergang." Edit: Just realized you use this line in your preview lol

When Harald Hardrada was killed in 1066 he was said to be in a berserker rage without helmet or armour and that was how he was so easily killed. There are some chess pieces depicting berserkers with full chainmail but they are from the 12th century when mail would have been more prevalent. Probably the best example for this time period in the 9th century would be the Oseberg tapestry which shows a berserker in full fur armor.

Cant find the original tapestry image on google but this dude got a tattoo of the exact image:

This is probably what you should go for, except with maybe a linen shirt or some light leather body armor:

To back up those more legitimate sources it also mentions the Berserker wikipedia page that they generally didnt wear armor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker

With this time period its really a matter of looking at all the evidence and deciding for yourself but I would recommend limiting mail in this time period for special picked units that were personally outfitted by their lord or jarl, apart from berserkers of course. This mod definitely looks interesting though, especially if you really take the time to get all the details right. I will keep checking back in and offering historical advice if you need it
    Last edited by Athos187; August 30, 2018 at 07:29 PM.

Thank's for the advice!

Our apporach to the berserkir is more like them being "champions" of the local lords and kings - thus we decided to give them all chainmaille hauberks.

//
    Lindybeige made a very interesting video in which he had some very good arguments about Berserkers some time ago.
    Last edited by Johnyyy; August 31, 2018 at 02:13 AM.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Thanks for the reply Athos187,

We knew that the Berserker unit would probably one of the more controversial units in the mod do to the wide spread of varying opinions. While the aim is to be historically actuate there are a few things that we put our own spin on as it really isn't particularly clear. With Berserkers appearing in art and written about in the sagas we feel it would be equally as wrong not to include them. With our design we will have 2 versions with Ulfhednar being a light version with wolf pelts and Berserkers being the heavy version with bear pelts as seen in the preview. Our berserker version is similar to how Orm Svarti is portrayed in Viking Conquest if you are familiar with that game. With regards to mail armor it has been scaled way back to where there will only be a few units that have mostly mail. There is a good explanation for why Harald Hardrada and most of his men were not wearing armor, they had just won the Battle of Fulford and were waiting for hostages to be delivered to them. Thinking they were just going on a leisurely walk most of the men left their armor back at the ships and we all know what went down at Stamford Bridge when King Harold Godwinson showed up. Quite a sad tale for sure as it pretty much marked the end of the Viking Age.

Alright, I like that idea of having the two versions

We plan on making new previews every week to show our progress!

Next planned preview - 7th of September [Friday]

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Here are a few images of berserkers in action.

and a sneak peak of the lighter version the Ulfhednar!

Well you guys don't seem to tire at all it seems. Now that I'm back from holiday, I'm back here to spam positive messages to (hopefully) keep you guys motivated!

Absolutely loving the berserkers and that lighter variation of them, and i can't wait to wreak havoc with them playing as Jorvik! Keep up the good work and happy modding!

A posh raider fellow wuz 'ere~

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by ThePoshBarbarian View Post
    Well you guys don't seem to tire at all it seems. Now that I'm back from holiday, I'm back here to spam positive messages to (hopefully) keep you guys motivated!

Absolutely loving the berserkers and that lighter variation of them, and i can't wait to wreak havoc with them playing as Jorvik! Keep up the good work and happy modding!

A posh raider fellow wuz 'ere~
    Welcome back Posh! I think most people would be surprised at how encouraging post like these are to small mod teams and it is something we will always appreciate for sure.