Thread: Enemy generals hard to kill in battle.

Default Enemy generals hard to kill in battle.

Hey guys, fairly new to this mod and something that I've noticed on every single battle is that killing the enemy general during a battle is near impossible. Even after their whole army has routed, the general won't die from one unit to even a whole stack trying to run him down. Seems a bit silly that a whole army can't take down one man even after waiting for five minutes.

It's been super annoying catching the general's bodyguard during a battle, and have him route and survive the onslaught of two cavalry units trying to run him down and failing to do so, even reaching the edge of the map. This causes the battle to last longer than it should and get more of my guys killed. I've also experienced this sometimes with captains of garrisons during a siege battle.

Any ideas? I've seen this as Carthage and Rome both on Legendary difficulty. No extra mods either other than the 4turns per year one. Thanks!

Eladryel's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Enemy generals hard to kill in battle.

I have to agree, the immortal generals are a bit annoying and... strange. I understand the logic behind it, but a bit of tweaking would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by renzpwns View Post
    This causes the battle to last longer than it should and get more of my guys killed.
    I think this is the main reason why. The Battle AI in Attila, and most TW games in general, is notoriously bad at keeping the general out of trouble. Without near immortal generals, it's far to easy to just take out the general and rout the army, like in R1 and M2.

It's a bit of a fudge I agree, but without the ability to mod the BAI the only way to stop the AI losing their general in the first five minutes of every battle is to make him near immortal.

like in R1 and M2.
    If the options are immortal generals or how it is currently in EBII, I'd prefer the EBII style immensely, it's not even close. The immortal generals is probably the only standout terrible element of this mod. Maybe we can make an alternative submod for some of the playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by hlidskjalf View Post
    If the options are immortal generals or how it is currently in EBII, I'd prefer the EBII style immensely, it's not even close. The immortal generals is probably the only standout terrible element of this mod. Maybe we can make an alternative submod for some of the playerbase.
    The is no way to change the HP's of generals. I've tried to find something in db but there isn't. I've talked to the team about this topic too but they don't know a solution either.

Quote Originally Posted by KampfKeks510 View Post
    The is no way to change the HP's of generals. I've tried to find something in db but there isn't. I've talked to the team about this topic too but they don't know a solution either.
    Interesting. I don't really know much about modding in general so I'm curious what caused the near immortal generals in the first place since it wasn't that big of a problem in the base game. And I'm even more curious now that you said the health of generals cannot be altered. Thanks for the insight!

Its because all our units have 1HP, generals and units in base Attila have 30+. If we were to increase our hitpoints then our current missile balance would be ruined as missile damage only really works at 1-2 hitpoints before you start seeing 0 kills turn into 5+ per volley once the unit's hitpoints are drained.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.