Thread: Too easy

Default Too easy

I really hate to say it. I have enjoyed playing Carthage. "Rome must be destroyed!" and all that. But the truth is, after ten turns or so, it is all downhill.

The only challenge is itself very easy. Even just doing an auto resolve on the battle of Zama, with a few turns of patience Scipio is dead meat. A few turns later, Cirta falls and Africa is a united province. At that point there is no threat. You can relax, take your time, and build.

Regain Spain, the islands, and Syracuse and it is all laid out for you. Not one battle has to be fought in person; everything is auto. Take all three regions of those provinces and you never have to attack again.

I love the Punic colony buildings. Keep adding up those positive diplomacy modifiers while making money. It does not take too long until everyone loves you, everyone wants to be your friend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180825165002_1.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	408.4 KB 
ID:	354694

You can set your tax rate at the lowest setting, max your growth, and the money still pours in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180825165030_1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	419.7 KB 
ID:	354695

I really hate to say it: way too easy. I hate to say it because it was so much fun to build the money machine... no need for armies. A perfect Punic game in character. Become a trade juggernaut. But no challenge at all beyond figuring out the proper way to build.

~sigh~

Unless Rome is aggressive, Carthage is a cake walk.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Default Re: Too easy

@Zom,

Are you sure you are posting in the right forum? These campaign map screeshots don't look like Rome 2 unless I've missed something...

Not sure what mod your playing but on Vanilla Carhage on Legendary has quite a delicate start that took me a while to work out

Rome and often Syracuse declare war within first few turns
    You lands are divided accross the entire western med
    Iberia is waiting to explode and for me required delicate diplomacy while i dealt with Rome
    Your 2 clients are weak and will get attacked by african factions
    Your starting economy and military isnt great with a few exceptions (elephant generals, mercs)
    You start as a republic which makes poltics challenging, the family tree will compound this now also

If none of that sounds familiar then either you are far far better than me or the mod has made changes to Carthage's starting situation. I played a mod once that just swapped some territories with Nova Carthago, no other changes. One minor change made a massive difference and removed the challenge from the early game.

Once you take out Rome the campaign is easy however getting through the first 10-20 turns and getting to them before they get to you is pretty critical in my experiance

Your starting provinces should look like this:

http://www.honga.net/totalwar/rome2/...m_carthage.png
    Last edited by Caledoni; August 28, 2018 at 02:15 AM.

My Mountaineering Blog -
    https://grahamwyllie.blogspot.com/

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

I haven't played that mod myself, so I can't tell for certain, but I think OP refers here to Ancient Empires, a mod for Atilla.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Like punj, I'm surprised that you found the initial challenge easy. I'm playing a vanilla Carthage campaign and it's both challenging and enjoyable, I commented on it here.

Because you posted this in Rome II General Discussion, it seems that you are saying that the Rome II Grand Campaign for Carthage is too easy. However, in my Carthage campaign, I don't have the Punic colony buildings with diplomacy modifiers you described, money isn't rolling in, both my client states have been almost detroyed and I'm under attack on three fronts. It's not too easy for me! I wonder if the problem relates to a mod which you're playing, as others seem to be suggesting.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Mystery solved!

It's the Ancient Empires mod for Attila, not Rome 2. He posted the exact same thread in the Ancient Empires forum 6 minutes later.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Oops, sorry. But AE mod for Attila is rather fun.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Zom View Post
    Oops, sorry. But AE mod for Attila is rather fun.
    No worries. Glad you're having fun!

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Thread Closed.