Thread: Having more than 7 fort models on strat map

Default Having more than 7 fort models on strat map

Some insight I would like to share with all. I have discovered a trick a while ago during the development of Albion Total War, on how to have more than the hard coded limit of 7 cultural fort models on the strat map. It is quite simple, and consists of sacrificing one cultures fort model and making it "invisible" in the same manner we turn a princess invisible to have named forts.

Then we would model a resource or multiple resources into a desired fort model to place on top of the placeholder fort model. The unique battle map accompanying the model simply has to be set on line ie;
    Code:
    fort    169    259    stone_fort_a culture southern_european
    , in descr_strat, as well as with IWTE for your custom settlement. The resources used as forts should be set to value 0 in descr_sm_resources, to negate the merchant on top of fort resource exploit.

We would also need to set:
    Code:
    <allow_resource_forts bool="true"/>
    in descr_campaign_db.xml.

I would advise to also disable the ability to build forts in game as we wouldn't want human or AI to build invisible forts.
    <can_build_forts bool="false"/>
    Nonetheless, it may be used for other mods that use named forts such as my own, that would like to have unique/multiple models.

NOTE: The resources will be visible through the fog of war. So in campaign_script:
    Code:
    monitor_event FactionTurnStart

reveal_tile 169, 259  ;or wherever the fort tile is
      hide_all_revealed_tiles

terminate_monitor end_monitor

Regards.
    Last edited by Zantorian; August 24, 2018 at 09:52 AM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: [Tutorial] Having more than 7 fort models on strat map

I do not see how this overcomes the 7 cultures limit. Can you be more spesific?
    By making one OF THE SEVEN invisible means that still exists. So the horadcoded number of cultures that can have forts is still there. Where do i am wrong?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Thanks for sharing, Zantorian.

The resources will be visible through the fog of war
    This script should fix that...

Code:
    monitor_event FactionTurnStart

reveal_tile 169, 259  ;or wherever the fort tile is
      hide_all_revealed_tiles

terminate_monitor
    end_monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    I do not see how this overcomes the 7 cultures limit. Can you be more spesific?
    By making one OF THE SEVEN invisible means that still exists. So the horadcoded number of cultures that can have forts is still there. Where do i am wrong?
    A culture can only have one fort strat model. Max seven cultures = max seven fort strat models. By using resources as the models instead means you can have as many different fort strat models as you want, up to however many available (unused) resources you have.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

I still don't get it. Resources do not apear in battle map . How the game engine will "recognise" that resource and create a battle map fort no matter how it will look like?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

He's only talking about strat map models, not battle map. The battle map would use the fort that is also on that tile, on the strat map it is there but invisible.

Well from a test I did, I have changed as written in the tutorial the red line:
    Code:
    fort    169    259    stone_fort_a culture southern_european
    Culture southern_european dictates what cultures fort the strat map uses (which will remain the invisible one). The stone_fort_a would be your battle map the game looks for which needs to be changed, per your desired fort coordinates.

The tricky part is properly coding your custom battle map with IWTE in the "worldpkgdesc" file, which needs to clearly be labeled as a fort and not a settlement. Then put into the settlements folder. There is a tutorial on this in the IWTE section.

Also, thanks for the hide_tile script Withwnar, useful indeed.
    Last edited by Zantorian; August 24, 2018 at 10:41 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Moved from workshop