Thread: Buildings and cultural conversion

Default Buildings and cultural conversion

How does cultural conversion rate work? Does that city's buildings' origin have anything to do with the rate of conversion?

Playing as Romans, do my Latin Colonies have cultural conversion bonus, even though it does not say so on the description?

And I discovered that while playing as Romans, my city Tarentum has reached 50% Roman culture and can no longer train the ethnic cavalry under the factional government type. However, if I change the government type to Allied, I can still train that cavalry. Does that mean as long as I keep that city under Allied government, I can always train that cavalry, even as the city completely Romanizes?

Default Re: Buildings and cultural conversion

I believe it's only buildings with the cultural conversion bonus in the description, as well as FM governor influence, that affect conversion.

As far as the Romani thing, I'm not too experienced with them, so I couldn't tell you.

Domaje's Avatar Civis

The cultural conversion bonus of the colony system is detailed for each faction in the Player's Guide that comes in your EBII folder.
    Apart from some factional government buildings for certain factions, the colonies are the only way to substantially increase your culture in a region.

So yes, the latin colonies do convert the culture of your settlements and each level has a maximum % after what they stop to convert.
    It is 45% for the Lex de Colonia Creando. 65% for the Colonia Latina Minora and 80% for the Maiora.
    The merchants colonies, and the provincial colonies (available after the Marian Reforms), also provide cultural conversion.

From what i know, all the buildings that give cultural conversion have it mentioned in their description. But maybe it is not displayed when your culture is higher than their conversion threshold.

About the fact you lose some units of your recruitment pool in southern Italy, this is because the non-roman units are tied to a degree a hellenic culture I believe, even if it is not shown ingame.
    You could completely go for a Allied Government in those region if you want to keep units such a the Tarantinoi cavalry but, because of the Allied State and the presence of minor polis in Taras, your culture would reach at best 65%. The minor polis would maintain 10% hellenic and the Allied State would convert 25% to Eleutheroi.
    As a result, first you could not establish colonies, and then not be able to install your higher factional governments, which means no land reforms which means no Marian Reform which means no roman legionaries !
    You'll better off with keeping Italy under roman rule and recruiting that magnificent tarantine cav as a merc !

Quote Originally Posted by Domaje View Post
    As a result, first you could not establish colonies, and then not be able to install your higher factional governments, which means no land reforms which means no Marian Reform which means no roman legionaries !
    You'll better off with keeping Italy under roman rule and recruiting that magnificent tarantine cav as a merc !
    Thanks for the replies guys. I went back to the guide and read it again, I guess I missed a lot of information the first time I read it.

As for reform, I checked the forum reform guide, 6 out of 7 Italian cities need the farm_seven. I guess I can still leave Tarentum as a semi-Roman city. And building up the Roman structures there then replacing the factional government type with Allied type would give me the best of both worlds

Tiro

The "trick" with culture conversion buildings description is that the messagge telling you so only appears once every year, that is every 4 turns. I think it is in winter, not sure though. The culture conversion bonus applies only once a year, every 4 turns, in winter i think and thats when you see the messagge in the description. The other 3 turns in the year you wont see that part of the description. That had me very confused till i realiced the way it works. I think i asked Team to modify the description of those buildings so the culture conversion part of the description would appear the whole year ( all 4 turns) adding something like " this culture conversion bonus only applies once every 4 turns, each xxxxx season ( been xxxx winter if i am right)" or something like that in the suggestions thread. So if you read the description of those buildings the 4 turns of one year youlll see what i mean. Check the different goverment/colonies buildings during the 4 turns of a year and once you see the messagge " 1% cultural conversion" or whatever in the description of one of them, every other that converts culture should have it too.... or it wont convert culture. Now that i think on it.. not sure how the allied goverment line handle this part of the description.. umhh, it is some time since i dont play the game

Regards:

melvidh

Quote Originally Posted by melvidh View Post
    The "trick" with culture conversion buildings description is that the messagge telling you so only appears once every year, that is every 4 turns.

melvidh
    Nice observation! Good to know

Yep, as mentioned, fast conversion only applies in winter, so it won't appear on the building browser outside that season. It comes from colonies, primarily, and a few factions get it from their government buildings (those without a colonisation system, basically). There is no dedicated "conversion building" as some other mods have.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Yep, as mentioned, fast conversion only applies in winter, so it won't appear on the building browser outside that season. It comes from colonies, primarily, and a few factions get it from their government buildings (those without a colonisation system, basically). There is no dedicated "conversion building" as some other mods have.
    Thanks.

I am trying to interpret the player guide and this thread but cannot fully understand two things.

First, is the conversion for let us say aedes/societas/collegium negotiatorum (for Romans) slow but continuous until a certain level is reached (e.g. "conversion up to 15%")? So if one in general wants as much cultural conversion as possible, one should invest in those buildings as early as possible?

Second, the building cards imply that there is a penalty involved, and that is also explained prosaically rather than in game terms in the historical description. The game guide, on the other hand, says in shorthand something like "Unhappiness -5% until 10% [culture]". So there will be a penalty to happiness but only as long as the culture has not reached 10% (in this example)?

And as a follow-up question, if I have not built those early on, is there any benefit in building the next level before reaching the conversion cap of the previous level? It says "trade bonus" in the guide, so I suppose it is safe to assume that the bonus will be greater after an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    And as a follow-up question, if I have not built those early on, is there any benefit in building the next level before reaching the conversion cap of the previous level? It says "trade bonus" in the guide, so I suppose it is safe to assume that the bonus will be greater after an upgrade.
    Your previous question, I also agree it felt like a brain twister at first. So I think you are right on that one, provides happiness bonus until culture level reaches that level, then happiness bonus is gone.

Your second question, I also guess you could be right. There is also the trade group building, which at highest level offers nothing except a penalty... And in its description it says it boosts trade, but the amount it boosts is not written explicitly.....

Is it so that simply replacing any buildings of a foreign culture (or usually upgrading them to higher-level buildings of your own culture) does not contribute to cultural conversion like in RTW? I started building those specific conversion-inducing institutions fairly recently, but many areas had already had my culture getting stronger in the region.

Is it so that simply replacing any buildings of a foreign culture (or usually upgrading them to higher-level buildings of your own culture) does not contribute to cultural conversion like in RTW? I started building those specific conversion-inducing institutions fairly recently, but many areas had already had my culture getting stronger in the region.
    Nope, with the exception of colonies, "foreign" buildings don't do anything culture-related. The mechanics are not like those in RTW.

Domaje's Avatar Civis

Does that mean that you can convert a settlement to 100% culture, say, Western Med, even if it has a greek metropolis ?

Quote Originally Posted by Domaje View Post
    Does that mean that you can convert a settlement to 100% culture, say, Western Med, even if it has a greek metropolis ?
    Given that the Polis line convert culture towards Hellenistic, no.

Domaje's Avatar Civis

Oh ok, I was fairly confident that it worked like that. I did not played RTW and don't know much of its mechanics, so it is just a misread of what Quintus said.
    Thanks !

Polis buildings have a "minimum conversion" that stops Hellenistic Polities falling below a certain floor, depending on their size.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Nope, with the exception of colonies, "foreign" buildings don't do anything culture-related. The mechanics are not like those in RTW.
    Thanks for confirming that, so I don't have to consider replacing or upgrading buildings with those of my own culture to expedite cultural conversion. So presence in the settlement itself or some other factors are in work when cultural conversion takes place early on in the game.

Thanks for confirming that, so I don't have to consider replacing or upgrading buildings with those of my own culture to expedite cultural conversion. So presence in the settlement itself or some other factors are in work when cultural conversion takes place early on in the game.
    From the descr_campaign_db, these are all the factors influencing conversion:

Code:
       <religion>
          <max_witches_per_region uint="0"/>
          <max_witches uint="0"/>
          <max_heretics_per_region uint="0"/>
          <max_heretics uint="0"/>
          <max_heretics_conversion_modifier float="0.0"/>
          <max_inquisitors_per_region uint="0"/>
          <max_inquisitors uint="0"/>
          <heretic_conversion_rate_modifier float="0.0000"/>
          <heretic_conversion_rate_offset float="0.000"/>
          <witch_conversion_rate_modifier float="0.0"/>
          <witch_conversion_rate_offset float="0.00"/>
          <inquisitor_conversion_rate_modifier float="0.000"/>
          <inquisitor_conversion_rate_offset float="0.00"/>
          <priest_conversion_rate_modifier float="0.000"/>
          <priest_conversion_rate_offset float="0.000"/>
          <witch_creation_modifier float="0.0"/>
          <heretic_creation_modifier float="0.0"/>
          <inquisitor_creation_modifier float="0.0"/>
          <min_cardinal_piety uint="0"/>
          <convert_to_heretic_base_modifier float="0.0"/>
          <convert_to_heretic_unorthodox_modifier float="0.0"/>
          <inquisitor_turn_start uint="0"/>
          <inquisitor_target_crusades bool="false"/>
    	  <founding_conversion_default_rate float="0.0002"/>
          <neighbour_normalise_weight float="0.00015"/>
          <governor_conversion_rate_offset float="0.0004"/>
          <governor_conversion_rate_modifier float="0.0004"/>
          <spy_conversion_rate_offset float="0.000"/>
          <spy_conversion_rate_modifier float="0.000"/>
          <owner_conversion_default_rate float="0.0002"/>
          <spy_conversion_rate_foreign_modifier float="0.0"/>
    Sometimes they pull in different directions, which can slow conversion in the absence of a converting building.