Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: the game is so :wub: i went back to Medieval 2

Default Re: the game is so :wub: i went back to Medieval 2

I like the family tree in Rome 2 alot more than i thought I would. It's certainly a better mechanic than in Rome 1 or Med 2 as it has more functionality than in those games. Though those games traits system I think is better. In Rome 2 it is more deterministic eg compare how techs are researched in Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri compared to Civ. Could do with some more interaction with characters in Rome 2. Thinking of story packs though something along the lines of Way of Life/Conclave for Crusader Kings 2 or those that have been relased for Stellaris. The tech trees especially for the civic techs is a very simple implimentation of the Nation Focus mechanic in Hearts of Iron 4. We could do with more elaberate tech trees. I'm quite a fan of the tech trees in Endless Space and Civilisation Beyond Earth. Note: That's as in style wise not let's research Roman space marines....

I don't feel the need to buy another campaign expansion. But a DLC with more campaign mechanics, role playing elements I would very much like that.

Needs a population mechanic.

The auto resolve is too heavily weighted towards you using it compared to how it was in Medieval 2
    Last edited by herne_the _hunter; August 25, 2018 at 01:57 PM.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Think CA already knew that adding new mechanics to all campaign is good move. Big nice chunk of FLC. I would love to see one more campaign with Alexander, maybe with bigger role for population,religion,culture and like small battle update especially to pikemen.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

I think we can all agree that Rome II's release was a train wreck and it shouldn't have been released like that, but, while it's very far from my favourite total war games, it's actually somewhat playable now. Medieval II is good for the odd trip down memory lane, but it can't really supplant a much newer release. All we can do is hope for Medieval III one day, and that CA doesn't botch it.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HammerheadShark View Post
    I think we can all agree that Rome II's release was a train wreck and it shouldn't have been released like that, but, while it's very far from my favourite total war games, it's actually somewhat playable now. Medieval II is good for the odd trip down memory lane, but it can't really supplant a much newer release. All we can do is hope for Medieval III one day, and that CA doesn't botch it.
    I have quite high hopes for 3 Kingdoms. Apart from the anime-fantasy thing, it reminds me Shogun 2 a lot. Though my most desired TW installment is Med 3 too.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

It was one of the biggest train-wrecks of strategy gaming at release. But today it is a very enjoyable game. A lot of features have returned (even if not fully), models look great and such.

Medieval 2 and RTW's quality was that you could modify its campaign map.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Medieval 2 isn't fun because of the broken battle AI. If the battle AI was fixed, I would return because I do agree it's a superior product, especially with mods. . But because battle AI is junk, you can just cheese the game. Making Rome 2 DEI > Medieval 2

What? Med2 Battle AI is the best in any total war game i have seen. Especially with great mods out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    What? Med2 Battle AI is the best in any total war game i have seen. Especially with great mods out there.
    Which mods are you speaking of? Been a couple years since I've played but I recall enemies not attacking when getting pelted with fire arrows, stuck siege AI, etc.

TW Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Spear Dog View Post
    Most of the major issues with RTW2 were sorted out within days, and few weeks later there were hardly any issues.
    edit: Meant to reply to this before the comment, the game on launch felt like someone got fired and trolled the company with sabotage. It was awful, almost nothing worked. There are still some nasty bugs even now.
    Having said that, it has improved and is quite playable now (more so with some modding).

--

I have good memories of MTW2, but I tried it again a while back and just could not get into the game. Given the choice between armies linked to a general, or a king going on a grand tour of Europe with his personal guard; I prefer the former.
    I do wish they could make it work without linking them, but the CAI has suffered since doing away with the old risk board style, from RTW onward. Many changes I read people citing as a reason they prefer RTW/MTW2 were attempts to solve some of those problems.

There are many other things about MTW2, but I'll save on typing and just say that I don't want to go back to that game.
    Last edited by bigfootedfred; September 30, 2018 at 04:17 PM.

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    True. Tested it, and certainly want to prove it by showing video comparisons of AI from Rome 1 up until Atilla. However, I'm having difficulties right now with my recently bought steam version of medieval 2. I'm having fatal graphics error every time I start the game. Maybe because it's just a steam version problem, or it's just me moving to windows 10, im not really sure.

The thing with some players think that Medieval 2 have bad AI is I think they didn't really invest time into comparing the BAI of Total Wars. In all seriousness, I also think that Medieval 2 has a very interesting BAI, I could even say it's kind of on par with darth's AI in Ultimate General games, but I still think that Ultimate General is still the superior BAI in these kind of games. However, there are still problems with Med 2 BAI, such as, suicidal Generals, and (not sure if AI related) Pathfinding Issues in some settlements, like units getting stuck on walls and stuff. But the video you see in youtube titled "med 2 bad AI" is actually false. It shows the sieging AI getting wiped out by the human's walled cannons. It's just too obvious, even human player couldn't make it in the walls with a max level fort with cannons, it's common sense.

In the end, the only total war AI that I have seen using unit reserves, better battle line formations, better flanking maneuvers, and cavs doing cycle charges is the one and only Medieval 2. And I'm only stating vanilla, what more if you put up zeryx's XAI BAI mod. As I've heard before, the ancient Empires team are working on Attilas BAI to forcing it on using unit reserves. But I think they are still struggling with the AI being consistent with it.

I really wish I could make med 2 working to show examples.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by HammerheadShark View Post
    I think we can all agree that Rome II's release was a train wreck and it shouldn't have been released like that, but, while it's very far from my favourite total war games, it's actually somewhat playable now.
    It only is if you never played any other decent strategy game to compare it with.

I also played a campaign with the latest update, and quit 25% in. Being an achievement whore and completionist, that is extremely rare for me.

1) The AI is still incompetent and can not put up a decent fight pas turn 25. Since you have to play at least 150 turns to get to victory conditions, this is a massive problem. All the AI did was run away in forced march and left its cities open to be conquered with ease. Up to a point they starved to death. I conquered half of spain in 4 turns because all the cities were empty and the AI just kept running away, even from its last settlement. I was so bored that I couldnt see myself doing the same thing for another 10h

2) diplomacy is an utter joke. I got spammed the whole time by factions from accros the map like Rhodes and Tylis (I was Averni) to pay them for a non aggression pact. And spam is not a joke, they did it every 2 turns. I got declared war upon once, by Sparta. We werent even close to eachother. But no worries, they payed me for peace the next turn.

3) politics and character management is laughable and without depth. The other faction's leader was a self-hating barbarian, who was powerhungry and loved easterners. Traits that you can do nothing with. My only reward for keeping him happy was that he didnt start a secession, despite me having 90% of the nobles. Then my heir decided he wanted his own, 3% faction, instead of waiting a few years to inherit almost the whole kingdom.
    I also remember my second general getting the "doubts the gods" trait on turn 1, because there wasnt a temple in his region. Even if I had consructed a temple on turn 0, it would have taken at least two turns, meaning that penalty was unavoidable. Thats fun, negative systems you cant counter. And that basicly counts for all of loyalty.

I defended Rome 2 in the early years. My thinking was: I can complain about a €50 purchase, or I can do something about it. And I did, with the awesome modding community there was, which made the game fairly decent. However, 5years on, a) I have played a lot of other strategy games with developpers that actually listen to their customers and produce quality content (Xcom 2, EU4, ES2, EL, Civ 6), and b) CA has shown that are unwilling to commit to make actual, quality historical content (just check the steamrating of ED, RotR and Tob compared to WH and its expansions). It is a disgrace that 5years on, the game is still in this state, with almost no improvement. But what to expect when their mindset is "well don't play it then". Apparently we should be happy that CA added a family tree after 5 years. No, we should ask them "why wasnt this in from the beginning and why is it so ?

It's ok to make mistakes. But admit them, learn from them, and use them to do better next time. I think how Ubisoft is handling Anno 1800 after the small 2205 fiasco, is an excellent example. They listen to the community, involve them, and go back to the core.
    CA however, pretends to be deaf and keeps shoving mediocre content down the throat of its most loyal customers. TW was my first proper game series, but with everything that happened the last 5years, I would be an idiot to think 3K can become anything decent for the historical fans. Its not even based on history, but on a novel

Quote Originally Posted by Spear Dog View Post
    Most of the major issues with RTW2 were sorted out within days, and few weeks later there were hardly any issues.
    Within days ?
    More like 5 yrs 20 patches and still counting.

I didnt buy Rome 2 till 2 years after release and even then it had problems...i was stuck on medieval 2 and loved it.. especially playing the byzantines, the venetians, and those russian armoured horse archers purr,, but i wont go back now. I did go back for a few days years ago,, and realised it was my nostalgia that had overgrown reality.
    So yeah Rome2 and Attilla for now,, Kinda like the new politics system,,,, and the new improvements..
    I still miss
    . Watchtowers
    . forts
    .citadels
    .city view
    .population control
    etc... but yeah its ok

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good startpos tutorial for Rome 2... Greek Strategos "wink wink"

Quote Originally Posted by RadRipRep View Post
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a good startpos tutorial for Rome 2... Greek Strategos "wink wink"
    Sure. Here you are buddy.
    Magnar Rome 2 Modding Tutorial - Episode XLIII(44) - Startpos Introduction.
    Magnar is still unmatched in modding tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Sure. Here you are buddy.
    Magnar Rome 2 Modding Tutorial - Episode XLIII(44) - Startpos Introduction.
    Magnar is still unmatched in modding tutorials.
    Hhehehe,, thats the lessons ive being learning, but when it comes to startpos, its a little dificult to see..

Btw do you have any idea how people take photos of the battles and make them look so good. Everytime i do it, they look pixelated..

Hhehehe,, thats the lessons ive being learning, but when it comes to startpos, its a little dificult to see..

Btw do you have any idea how people take photos of the battles and make them look so good. Everytime i do it, they look pixelated..
    Well, I'm no pic expert since my artistic talents are close to zero. But the process is pretty straight forward. Just use a nice Reshade-Sweet FX preset, GEM or a lighting and probably dust,blood mods, for the game in question and try different angles on the battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Well, I'm no pic expert since my artistic talents are close to zero. But the process is pretty straight forward. Just use a nice Reshade-Sweet FX preset, GEM or a lighting and probably dust,blood mods, for the game in question and try different angles on the battlefield.
    Hmm ill try,, though gem crashes me everytime.

Hmm ill try,, though gem crashes me everytime.
    You should check the right options for it to run properly.
    Are you using it with Med 2? I could check a few Reshades later and let you know.

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by suvorov777 View Post
    The game was so I went back playing Medieval 2 Total war.

Even with mods Rome 2 is game, anyone else think the same?
    Yes. Rome 2 sucks no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Yes. Rome 2 sucks no matter what.
    Well well...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast