Thread: S.T.A.L.K.E.R Short Story - A Fatal Rookie Mistake (Fanfic, 950 words)

Default S.T.A.L.K.E.R Short Story - A Fatal Rookie Mistake (Fanfic, 950 words)

(Rewrite 02 - Note: I reworked this story again. Only for minor tweaks to amend the pacing lost in the rewrite. Thanks Kilo for pointing that out. Prior versions are below in spoiler tags.)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Short Story - A Fatal Rookie Mistake

With the last reach of daylight, a cold wind blew over the valley of Wild Territory and through the dark of the forest. Trees swayed as their branches clicked with knotted fingers. In the gloom beneath, a tangle of vines and weeds lay still as a thorn bush rustled. Hidden within, Andros sniffed and pulled his collar tight against the chill. When the leaves settled before him, he peered through his binoculars.

Beyond the forest’s shroud he spied the valley below; a field of grass that rolled towards a creek shouldered by rocks and reeds. Passed the banks, the valley climbed towards the black gape of a train tunnel nestled at the foot a mountain. Here, furtive but visible, was a rookie stalker who crouched to sift through a rucksack.

Andros smiled when the rookie retrieved a large stone. The rock scintillated silver and when released, buoyed in the air like a boat on water. An artefact, birthed from the womb of an anomaly – unworldly and priceless.

A gust bellowed and rustled the leaves around Andros. He put down the binoculars and fumbled to button his collar. A thorn snagged his sleeve and bit his wrist with a tare. Andros winced and yanked his arm away. The branch snapped with a clack. Above, a crow squawked and took flight.

Andros grabbed the binoculars and pressed them back to his face to see the rookie stare his way. The crow squawked again and the rookie jumped to feet with the artefact.

“Damn it,” Andros said. He clawed up his rifle and ammo but the rookie was gone.

Andros pushed himself to his feet and yanked the bush aside. The valley was wide and flat and carried no sign of movement. Andros narrowed his eyes at the train tunnel. The stalker must have hidden inside. The tunnel was dark, its depths dangerous. Andros smiled. The rookie wouldn’t remain there long.

He tapped the butt of a shotgun hung at his hip and considered. If he hid at the entrance – shotgun in hand – he could set an ambush. An easy kill.

Andros shouldered his rifle, clambered from the bush and descended into the valley. The field dipped and rose, thick with vegetation. Wet grass clung to his boots, reeds clawed at his coat and each step through the creek came with a slurp. He clambered up the bank and made his way towards the tunnel.

Andros paused at its stone edge, caught his breath, and etched up to the dark entrance to listen. Inside he heard the swirl of air. He frowned. There was no echo. Andros pressed himself to the tall arch and peered inside. The tunnel was choked by rock and earth, twisted rods jutted from concrete slabs and a capsized carriage lay half crushed by a fallen column. The tunnel had collapsed.

Andros checked over his shoulder and peered back inside. Passed the train tracks on the far side was a door fashioned in the tunnel’s wall. Above the frame a sign read – Pedestrian Walkway. The door, Andros noted, had been left ajar. He grinned as he looked over the rubble again. Idiot stalker. The passage would be a dead-end and he’d hidden inside it – a rookie mistake.

Andros unclipped his shotgun from his belt and crept up to the threshold. He glanced inside. The passage was dark, festered by mould and sour air. Andros eased the door open with a boot, aimed the shotgun inside, and pulled the trigger.

The shot thundered. Ricochet bounced off the walls. Andros winced as his ears rang. He pulled the trigger again.

When the whine of the second shot receded Andros flicked on a torch, kicked open the door and illuminated the passage. Ghosts of powdered cement swirled before the impassable teeth of rubble. Yet there was no rookie, dead or alive; only an air duct with an unfastened cover.

Andros eyed the opening as he tapped his shotgun. The duct was high, near the ceiling, though wide enough for a man to crawl through.

“Sneaky sod,” Andros said as he entered the passage. He trod without noise until he stood beneath the duct. He turned his ear and listened.

The passage door slammed shut.

Andros’s heart leapt and he flung up each hand. He dropped the torch and the bulb smashed. Darkness engulfed him.

“No,” he whimpered. Andros reached for a wall and groped the soft mould until he found the door. He grabbed the handle and pushed. His effort was countered by another. It was the rookie.

Andros banged a fist to the door – and froze. A noise whispered out of the air duct. He heard a shuffle and a wheeze. Andros spun around and fumbled for his shotgun. It was gone, dropped with the torch. He grabbed his rifle and cocked the bolt. It clicked empty.

“Christ,” Andros whispered as he padded his empty pockets. He’d left his ammo in the bush. Idiot. Stupid idiot.

His breath seized. A pale shape emerged from the duct to crawl down the wall. Bony joints clicked as it rose to fill the passage, thin and crooked.

Andros closed his eyes. He had entered the passage with no ammo and no escape. He’d made a fatal rookie mistake.

The End - Thanks for reading

Rewrite 01
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    With the last reach of daylight, a chill wind blew over Wild Territory. Trees swayed as branches creaked above a tangle of bushes. Hidden within, Andros sniffed and peered through his binoculars.

He spied from the forest’s shroud to view the valley below. A field of grass and reeds that stretched towards the mouth of a train tunnel. Here, furtive but visible, was a rookie stalker who crouched to sift through a rucksack.

Andros smiled when the rookie pulled out a large stone. The rock scintillated silver and when released, buoyed in the air like a boat on water. An artefact, birthed from the womb of an anomaly –unworldly and priceless.

A gust bellowed and rustled the leaves around Andros. He put down the binoculars and fumbled to pull his collar tight. A thorn snagged his sleeve and bit his wrist. Andros winced and yanked his arm away only for the branch to snap with a clack. Above, a crow squawked and took flight.

Andros grabbed the binoculars and pressed them back to his face. The rookie stared his way. When the crow squawked again the rookie grabbed the artefact and jumped to his feet.

“Damn it,” Andros said. He clawed up his rifle and ammo and tried to clunk a cartridge into the chamber. The rookie was gone.

Andros pushed himself to his feet and yanked the bush aside. The valley was wide and flat yet still and silent. There was no sign of the rookie. Andros narrowed his eyes at the train tunnel. The stalker must have entered inside. Yet the tunnel was dark, its depths dangerous. He wouldn’t remain there.

Andros tapped the butt of a shotgun hung at his hip. If he hid beside the entrance – shotgun in hand – he could set an ambush. An easy kill.

Andros shouldered his rifle, clambered from the bush and descended into the valley. The field dipped and rose and was thick with vegetation. Wet grass clung to his boots, reeds clawed at his coat and each step came with a slurp.

When Andros had crossed the valley he paused, caught his breath, and edged up to the tunnel’s entrance. He listened to the air swirl within and frowned. There was no echo. Andros pressed up to the edge and peered inside. The tunnel was choked by stone and earth, twisted rods jutted from slabs and a capsized carriage lay half crushed by a column. The tunnel had collapsed.

Andros checked over his shoulder and peered again inside. Passed the tracks on the far side was a door fashioned in the tunnel’s wall. Above the frame a sign read – Pedestrian Walkway. The door, Andros noted, had been left ajar. He grinned as he looked over the rubble. Idiot stalker. The passage would be a dead end yet he’d hidden inside – a rookie mistake.

Andros unclipped his shotgun from his belt and crept up to the threshold. He glanced inside. The passage was dark, festered by mould and the air sour. Andros eased the door open with a boot, aimed the shotgun inside, and pulled the trigger.

The shot thundered and ricochet bounced off the walls. Andros winced as his ears rang. He pulled the trigger again.

When the whine of the second shot receded Andros flicked on a torch, kicked open the door and illuminated the passage. Ghosts of powdered cement swirled before the impassable teeth of rubble. Yet no rookie, dead or alive; only an air duct with an unfastened cover.

Andros eyed the duct as he tapped his shotgun. The duct was high, near the ceiling, though wide enough for a man to crawl through.

“Sneaky sod,” Andros said as he entered the passage. He trod without noise until he stood beneath the duct. He turned his ear and listened.

The passage door slammed shut.

Andros’s heart leapt as he flung up each hand. He dropped the torch and the bulb smashed. Darkness engulfed him.

“No,” he whimpered. Andros reached for a wall and groped the soft mould until he found the door. He grabbed the handle and pushed. He felt his effort countered by another. It was the rookie.

Andros banged a fist to the door – and froze. A noise whispered out of the air duct. He heard a shuffle and a wheeze. Andros spun around and fumbled for his shotgun. It was gone, dropped with the torch. He grabbed his rifle and cocked the bolt. It clicked empty.

“Christ,” Andros whispered as he padded his empty pockets. He’d left his ammo in the bush. Idiot. Stupid idiot.

His breath seized. A pale shape emerged from the duct to crawl down the wall. Bony joints clicked as it rose, thin and crooked.

Andros closed his eyes. He had entered the passage with no ammo and no escape. He’d made a fatal rookie mistake.

Original
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    As the sun set behind the hills of Wild Territory, a cold wind blew down their slopes, through the forest and into the valley below. Trees swayed and their branches creaked as bushes rustled beneath. Andros shifted his weight where he lay, pulled his collar tight against the chill breeze and waited for the leaves around him to settle. When the bush he was hid inside grew still and his view of the valley cleared, he raised his binoculars to his eyes.

Beyond the trees of the woodland and the grassy field of the valley, he watched an amateur stalker unload a rucksack at the mouth of a train tunnel. Andros smiled when the rookie removed a large stone with both hands. The rock was purple yet scintillated silver and when the rookie released his grip, it buoyed in the air like a boat on water. It was priceless, its properties unworldly – it was an artefact of the Zone.

The wind blew over the hills again and the leaves around Andros fluttered to mask the treasure. He shuffled towards a clearer gap in the foliage but felt the jab of a flint to his knee. He put down the binoculars and reached to push the flint away but his sleeve snagged a branch and it broke with a snap. A flock of crows squawked above and took flight with a flurry of wings.

Andros grabbed the binoculars and pressed them back to his eyes. He saw the rookie throw the artefact into the rucksack and run for the train tunnel.

“Damn,” Andros said. He grabbed his rifle and his ammo but before he could load a bullet the rookie was gone.

Andros pushed himself to his feet and yanked aside a branch. He leaned out and spied east and west, his fingers danced over the barrel of the rifle as he hesitated. The valley was silent, void and he saw only the ripple of the grass in the wind. He stepped out of the bush and pushed his way across the field. The grass was long and wet and the wind was cold as he paced with eyes wide and ears alert. There was no danger or sound of threat and when he reached the far side he crouched and stepped to the edge of the train tunnel.

Inside he could hear the wind swirl but without a deeper echo. Andros leaned forward and saw the tunnel inside had collapsed and was impassable. Concrete slabs with twisted rods jutted up from mounds of earth; a severed pipe dripped onto a carriage, half crushed beneath the rubble. Andros’ eyes narrowed - where was the rookie?

Across the train tracks and a bed of pebbles, there was a metal door fashioned into the tunnel’s wall. Above its threshold, a sign read 'Pedestrian Walkway', but with the collapse of the tunnel it too would be impassable. A smile grew across Andros’ face as he looked at the door, still left ajar. The idiot stalker had hidden in a place with only one exit – a rookie mistake.

Andros stepped up to the door and peered inside with a quick glance. The passage was dark and narrow, mould grew on the walls and the air was sour. Andros placed his rifle back over his shoulder and unhooked a shotgun from his belt. He further inched the door open with the toe of his boot, aimed the barrel inside and pulled the trigger.

The passage flashed yellow and thundered with the ricochet of buckshot. Andros’ ears rang as the smell of gunpowder wafted back into the tunnel. He pulled the trigger again.

When the ring of the second blast subsided, Andros flicked on a torch and kicked the door open. The passage walls, ceiling and floor were chiselled with pellet holes and a cloud of powdered cement swirled in the air. At the far end of the passage he could see the collapse of the tunnel; fallen rubble and earth blocked the way through. But there was no rookie, dead or alive; only an air duct with its cover removed. Andros tapped a finger against the shotgun. The duct was high, near the ceiling, but wide enough for a man to crawl through.

“Sneaky sod,” he said as he stepped inside the passage. He placed his feet without a sound, edged up to the air duct and listened.

The passage door slammed shut behind him.

Andros’ heart leapt and he dropped his torch, the bulb smashed and in an instant he was swallowed by darkness.

“No,” he whimpered as he groped the walls and stumbled back to the door. He found the handle, gripped it with two hands and pushed down. The handle turned and creaked, but not enough to release the latch. There was resistance from the other side, someone was holding the handle against his efforts. It was the rookie.

Andros banged the door with a panicked fist – then froze. A noise echoed out of the duct behind him. He heard shuffles, the click of bones and breaths wheezed through wet lips. Andros let go of the door and searched for his shotgun. It was gone, he had dropped it with the torch. He grabbed his rifle instead, but it was unloaded. Andros whispered a plea and padded his pockets. Where was his ammo? Had he left it in the bush?

A shape emerged from the duct and crawled down the wall like a spider. It rose, thin and crooked; a pale shadow in the dark.

Andros closed his eyes. He had entered the passage with no ammo, no escape. He had made a fatal rookie mistake.
    Last edited by C-Beams; November 18, 2018 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Edited for Rewrite 02

Default Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R Short Story - A Fatal Rookie Mistake

Wow, this is like one of those 'Choose your own adventure' endings and this has to be the worst endings. Guess, the rookie wasn't so rookie after all and Andros himself seems like the real rookie.

I wonder what shape finally spelled the end of Andros.

The fallout style crumpled metal and etc descriptions are very well done and the word formatting is also good enough .

Great job man.
    Keep writing and i want to see moarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!!!!!!11
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Thanks Mad Orc, glad you liked it.

The idea for this story actually bubbled into my mind after I read your Hunger story. So thanks for the inspiration .

I do have another story idea in mind, so with a bit of luck and some extra free time, it will be ready by next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Beams View Post
    Thanks Mad Orc, glad you liked it.

The idea for this story actually bubbled into my mind after I read your Hunger story. So thanks for the inspiration .

I do have another story idea in mind, so with a bit of luck and some extra free time, it will be ready by next weekend.
    I will be waiting (For the next story)
    Best of luck
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I enjoyed this tale, looking forward to more of your stories!

Many thanks, Alwyn. Glad you liked it.

I have another story that I'd hoped to post this weekend but it needs some re-working first. Hopefully it will be done by mid-week though.

Default Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R Short Story - A Fatal Rookie Mistake (Fanfic, 950 words)

Nicely done C-Beams. I'd love to give you some feedback or commentary (just little things; this is really good as is! ) but I'm a bit under the weather right now and can't sort out my thoughts well enough to say something really meaningful I think. I will definitely have a look at your Starship Troopers piece once I'm feeling better though, cause this longer story from you has me wanting to check out more of your stuff!

One other thing; have you thought about making yourself a library in The Inkwell? It would be a nice way for people interested in your work to keep up to date with what you've got out there. Just a thought
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Default Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R Short Story - A Fatal Rookie Mistake (Fanfic, 950 words)

Hey Kilo, sure any feedback would be great, thanks for the offer. I hope you feel better soon (maybe llamas will rescue you?)

I am itching to write another one of these short stories but I am squeezed for time at the moment. The inkwell idea is something I have been mulling over (since viewing your own as it happens.) But currently I am leaning towards making my own blog. Not sure yet. I have tried to use the signature feature here but I find it breaks a lot when I try to update it, its very hit or miss for me.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I've just read the rewrite; that's nicely done! Paring it down has made it more tense, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    I've just read the rewrite; that's nicely done! Paring it down has made it more tense, I think.
    Many thanks for taking the time to read my rewrite and share your thoughts.

I've learned a lot from participating in the TotW here. With those stories I have been forced to make brutal edits in order to meet the 500 word count limit. But in doing so, I always end up with a far better story. So I will make this a standard practice in my writing. I've almost finished doing the same for my Starship Trooper story. I've lopped off about twenty percent from that one.

I'm the same. Most of the editing I do of my own writing is just purely removing the bits that weren't really necessary. I have a bit of a tendency to ramble in my first drafts... and my general posts... and my RL conversations...

Hmm. So, I didn't read the whole rewrite, but I read the first few paragraphs, switching between it and the original version (thanks for leaving that, by the way; it helps a lot for giving critique to see what you started with ), and I think there is an interesting lesson to be learned here not about editing or paring down "unnecessary" things, but more about preferences of readers.

In reading the original and the rewrite, I did find that parts of the rewrite have a bit more urgency and clip to them, but I like the original much more, simply because it seems to have much richer descriptions. In fact, it seems like those descriptions are one of the main things that were pared away (which is normal, given that descriptions are almost always the most space-consuming thing that can be reduced/eliminated without damaging the story). However, I for one love descriptions, having grown up on Tolkien and such things, and that's often what I'm looking for most in a story. Given that, I wouldn't say the rewrite is really "better", but is indeed different, and will appeal to some readers more. On the other hand, the original will also appeal to some readers more (like it did for me). I think it's still probably good to go through the exercise you did, if for no other reason than that we sometimes (often) do include properly unnecessary things, but sometimes there are things that can be omitted or included based on preferential concerns and not really because it's "better" one way or another. So, in conclusion, just keep doing what you're doing, as it's all good anyway, but keep in mind that some people will still like the longer pieces as they are. I did!

Ps. I plan to read your other story tomorrow, so maybe I'll have some comments there too!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

That is very interesting to know, thanks for the thoughts.

Once the story has flushed out my mind I will return to it and re-read with fresh eyes and compare the two pieces. I feel I have found a style of writing in my TotW submissions that I like and I hope to understand so I can emulate it in projects without the 500 word limit (which is what forced this new style to emerge from my writing.) I like the idea of rich descriptions so perhaps sentence restructuring rather than brutal cutting would have been a better way to edit. It would actually be fun to rewrite again just to experiment. Another project to add to the list.

Thanks again for posting. You have got me thinking on it.

Edit: 'I did find that parts of the rewrite have a bit more urgency and clip to them'

I do like this. That is what I want in my prose. If I can find a way to capture rich descriptions also, without superfluous text, I will be very happy.
    Last edited by C-Beams; November 14, 2018 at 12:37 PM. Reason: More thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by C-Beams View Post

Edit: 'I did find that parts of the rewrite have a bit more urgency and clip to them'

I do like this. That is what I want in my prose. If I can find a way to capture rich descriptions also, without superfluous text, I will be very happy.
    Well, I find when reading things that a good way to aim for both is to commit to both for specific scenes or purposes. In fact, that can make both elements much more prominent and compelling. By waxing long and flowery in describing the scenery you can lull the reader into a sort of sensational stupor, where they're just letting their imagination fill in every little detail of the surroundings, and then if you abruptly cut to having very clipped sentences with little to no description, and almost only action, then it will create an immense sense of urgency. Switching to dialogue can also be a sort of short-cut to getting into that, as dialogue presents an easy excuse to start dropping the elements of setting, and focusing only on what is being said and why.

To be quite honest, I actually thought you had done that very nicely in the original, which is part of why I liked it more. If you look at the first few paragraphs of it you can see how you have these long flowing descriptions, and then when action starts you drop them completely. In particular, I found this sequence to be quite compelling.

C-Beams' Original

As the sun set behind the hills of Wild Territory, a cold wind blew down their slopes, through the forest and into the valley below. Trees swayed and their branches creaked as bushes rustled beneath. Andros shifted his weight where he lay, pulled his collar tight against the chill breeze and waited for the leaves around him to settle. When the bush he was hid inside grew still and his view of the valley cleared, he raised his binoculars to his eyes.

Beyond the trees of the woodland and the grassy field of the valley, he watched an amateur stalker unload a rucksack at the mouth of a train tunnel. Andros smiled when the rookie removed a large stone with both hands. The rock was purple yet scintillated silver and when the rookie released his grip, it buoyed in the air like a boat on water. It was priceless, its properties unworldly – it was an artefact of the Zone.

The wind blew over the hills again and the leaves around Andros fluttered to mask the treasure. He shuffled towards a clearer gap in the foliage but felt the jab of a flint to his knee. He put down the binoculars and reached to push the flint away but his sleeve snagged a branch and it broke with a snap. A flock of crows squawked above and took flight with a flurry of wings.

Andros grabbed the binoculars and pressed them back to his eyes. He saw the rookie throw the artefact into the rucksack and run for the train tunnel.

“Damn,” Andros said. He grabbed his rifle and his ammo but before he could load a bullet the rookie was gone.

At the end there you don't do a single bit of describing and that itself speeds up the scene, and when you need it to slow down again (when he's considering what to do before crossing the plain or entering the tunnel) you again give more description, again slowing things down. You can set pacing that way really well, and I think you have in fact done that. Just me two cents though.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Ah yes, I see what you mean. The new version has very different pacing. Now you've pointed it out, I do like the original pace; the rewrite speeds into the story much faster. But there is something I dislike about the original's prose, though I can't figure out what. Anyway, I've written a new first paragraph here to try and recapture the original pacing.

Before (rewrite version)
    With the last reach of daylight, a chill wind blew over Wild Territory. Trees swayed as branches creaked above a tangle of bushes. Hidden within, Andros sniffed and he peered through his binoculars.

After
    With the last reach of daylight, a cold wind blew over the valley of Wild Territory and through the dark of the forest. Trees swayed as crooked branches clicked with bony fingers. In the gloom beneath, a tangle of vines and weeds lay still as a thorn bush rustled. Hidden within, Andros sniffed and pulled his collar tight against the chill. When the leaves settled before him, he peered through his binoculars.

Edit: I just put a big note on my wall that says 'Hard editing can remove pacing and evocation.' - Which is what I feel I have learned from our discussion. So thanks!
    Last edited by C-Beams; November 14, 2018 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Brain did something gud

It's all a matter of preference, isn't it? I liked the first rewrite better than I like the second. The description is better in the second rewrite, but - for me - the high speed of the first rewrite is part of what makes Andros's stupid mistake believable. I wouldn't want to read a longer story all written at that hectic speed, but I think it can sometimes be appropriate for just one incident. Opinions will vary, though, and you should definitely write it the way you want it, not the way I'd like it!