Thread: Why 202 BC not 272

Default Why 202 BC not 272

An excellent mod that I've been for with excitement. Warm thanks go out to everyone who's working on it.

Like the title says... Why is the start year of this mod on 202 not on 272~278 like most antiquity mods like EB1-2 and DeI.
    Great mountains vanish but mighty warriors not;
    Press on your molars;
    Offer god your skull;
    Pin your foot into ground;
    Behold opposing flanks but disregard their breadth;
    And know that victory comes from the All Mighty.
    ---Ali bin Abi Taleb (599-661 AD)
    ---After entrusting his son with a battle standard

Default Re: Why 202 BC not 272

Because the certain areas of the map that would be needed for those timelines, such as Greece, Sicily (first punic war would be fought over a single region) and Illyria have only one or two regions. As such fighting over these areas would be pretty boring so we just skipped over them and put Rome into a more interesting position.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    As such fighting over these areas would be pretty boring so we just skipped over them and put Rome into a more interesting position.
    Oh, I think Rome found things quite interesting in 218 BCE when Hannibal crossed the Alps.

A start date after Hannibal had taken up residence south of Rome and allies were being stripped away could be fun. Place Scipio in Iberia vs. Hasdrubal and Mago with a smaller army but better quality. Give Carthage a fighting chance to survive against you if you are playing Rome.

Many years ago I played a mod for Rome 1: Rome Total Realism. If you are looking for a First Punic War mod, it started with the battle of Asculum. Very immersive. AE reminds me of RTR.

We have been debating doing just that, moving the year to 212 BC, its a year I personally really like but at the same time it would require a huge amount of work to redo all we've done so far and we're hardly finished as is.

I second the 212BCE start date, but fully appreciate the major undertaking that would be. I'm sure you guys played Roma Surrectum II, which had that as the start date, I believe.
    On the other hand, the current start date largely guarantees Rome will stay the top dog past the opening rounds, which a 272/8 or 212 start date doesn't.
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Because the certain areas of the map that would be needed for those timelines, such as Greece, Sicily (first punic war would be fought over a single region) and Illyria have only one or two regions. As such fighting over these areas would be pretty boring so we just skipped over them and put Rome into a more interesting position.
    Also EB and DEI already cover the 270BCs very well, I think this mod adds something more by taking place in a different period with different situations and factions. It's particularly interesting to see Rome with so many possibilities to expand, rather than the usual take Italy, take Sicily, fight Carthage direction of so many other classical era mods.

I'd like to see a 212 / 218 start as well, but definitely something to look at once the mod is finished on the current start date imo. Changing the startpos once all factions are done should be much easier, and could hopefully be done to allow multiple versions of the mod with different packs for each start date?

Have to admit I'm not hugely familiar with modding this engine, but I'd have thought that once the core team has finalised the models, factions, buildings etc then any suitably skilled modder could set up their own sub mod with a different start date and startpos?

Perfectly possible, just a lot to do

Perhaps a stand alone 2nd Punic War mod? Only two playable factions... or three with an independent Syracuse allied with Rome but shaky?

Always wanted this using the last Roman DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Zom View Post
    Perhaps a stand alone 2nd Punic War mod? Only two playable factions... or three with an independent Syracuse allied with Rome but shaky?
    I'd definitely have Masaesyli and Massyili as playable in that scenario as well. Great potential for variation for them, particularly if they can have multiple objectives to either ally with Rome or with Carthage. Possibly Turdetani as well?

Also a standalone 1st Punic War mod on the Last Roman map would be great as well.

I'm sure it would but its a 3 man mod team

I'm sure it would but its a 3 man mod team
    Oh absolutely. Like I said above - surely once the current version is pretty much feature complete then anyone who is able to mod start position (or is willing to learn) can adapt the startpos and setup to whatever date they want for whatever scenario they want.

Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Swarbs View Post

Also a standalone 1st Punic War mod on the Last Roman map would be great as well.
    I am going to have to disagree strongly with you on this. First war needs a detailed map of Sicily, as that is where it was centered. There would have to be four or five walled cities besides Syracuse and Lilybaeum. But yeah, I would love something like that.

Although, I do not recall how detailed the map was in Last Roman... been a few years since I looked at it.
    Last edited by Zom; August 15, 2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zom View Post
    I am going to have to disagree strongly with you on this. First war needs a detailed map of Sicily, as that is where it was centered. There would have to be four or five walled cities besides Syracuse and Lilybaeum. But yeah, I would love something like that.

Although, I do not recall how detailed the map was in Last Roman... been a few years since I looked at it.
    I think there are only three cities on Sicily in LR, tho' it does also have three in Sardinia and Corsica, and Rhegium in South Italy. So you could start with Rhegium under Campanian control as it was just before the start of the war.

I agree it would be better to have more cities in Sicily, but in the absence of any better map I think it could be feasible. But yes, the map is definitely better suited to the 2nd Punic War.