Thread: Modding help

Libertus

Default Modding help

Hi, I have no experience modding TW, none. However, I would like to start some limited unit and maybe technology tree modding, to change values, units upkeep etc. I've looked at a few guides on TWC (the Commissar Caligula one), a small Steam one and the You Tube one (i.e. Magnar but he uses PFM) and managed to get the Attila Assembly Kit downloaded and starting to look around. HOWEVER, what I really would like to do is mod an existing mod (for private use not being published on TWC or steam). So first question, of probably many:

1. In the Assembly Kit menu (Tools>DAVE) I have selected View>Table Launcher and it loads a table I presume is the vanilla table. How do I point the Assembly Kit to the modded data file?

Thanks for any help.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Modding help

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...y-tree-problem AK are pretty much same for every TW...so read this very similar thread with links even for Mitch AK guide

Just in short:
    1) if you wanna build mod from scratch especially with startpos changes, then you should use AK
    2) if you wanna just alter some things or alter existing mod, you need PFM not AK
    Last edited by Daruwind; August 13, 2018 at 11:45 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Libertus

Thanks, I'll use PFM. The latest I could find was v3.5.2 is that correct? It runs with a few error messages but I can load the vanilla data file. How do I find the mod data files?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

thats because it tries to autoupdate at the start but original author is no longer adding new schema updates...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Libertus

Ah ok thanks, I found the data files in \steamapps\workshop\content\325610\1385069240!!!

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Haha I'm happy my guide helped you out =)
    I'd suggest using the Assembly Kit and it's "Search All" function to reverse engineer stuff, and work out how it all connects together and then use PFM to actually make the mod.

As a general rule, you can't load a custom mod's data into the Assembly Kit. You might be able to if the modder sends you their raw_data Assembly Kit xml files or if its possible to export the necessary xml files from an already created mod (I've got no idea) but basically just assume you can't.

With PFM, you shouldn't need to find the specific mod you're trying to edit in \steamapps\workshop\content\325610\. Just go to the Game tab in PFM and make sure its set to ATW, (you might need to close and reopen PFM after that), and then go File - Open CA pack and the custom mod should be in that list (alphabetically).

Also, because I should do some Mod work for once in my life, I've moved this thread to the correct location.
    General Discussion -> Mod Workshop / DB Editing and Scripting
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; August 15, 2018 at 05:24 AM.

Libertus

Hi Commissar,

Honoured to receive your advice, thank you.

Couldn't see the Mod in the list however (Ancient Empires):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PFM.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	354591
    Last edited by prince_blucher; August 15, 2018 at 11:47 AM.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Hmmm weird. Maybe the dumb change of all mods being in \steamapps\workshop\content\325610\ rather than the data folder has affected that. I haven't really modded much since that update.