Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ahowl11's VE Mod (Old Discussion) v7 Rise of the Serpent

Default Re: ahowl11's Vanilla Enhancement Mod v5 - Germanic Mystery

ahowl11's Vanilla Enhancement Mod v6
    Sons of Zalmoxis

Yet another faction that has not received a ton of love in the RTW modding community (aside from realistic overhauls). Dacia is a very interesting and diverse faction. Historically, they were located in modern day Romania, and were known as the Getae to the Greeks. A large debate has existed between scholars on whether the Dacians were actually part of the Thracian culture. Since RTW features both Dacia and Thrace I thought I'd simply expand on that feature instead of merging them into one faction like other mods.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Veteran Swordsmen waiting for the Romans to advance

The Dacians are more barbaric than Thracians so they keep the Barbarian culture, but we did majorly overhaul the look of their units. Here are the features:
    - Complete overhaul of Dacian Roster
    - New Barbarian City models on the map, made by Lanjane
    - New Bastarnae Mercenary unit model and texture
    - Macedonian Cavalry units have normal unit sizes instead of unusually large sizes
    The thing that bugged me about vanilla Dacia is that they were basically the Gauls in brown with a falxmen unit, and it was pretty boring. Now they have a full fledged roster full of unique units. Even the common units don't look like Gallic copies. See for yourself!

The Dacian Unit Roster

The Dacian Roster in detail:

GOVERNMENT

Tier 1 - Warband
    Tier 2 - Levies
    BARRACKS
    Tier 1 - Spear Warband & Sword Warband
    Tier 2 - Spearmen & Axemen
    Tier 3 - Veteran Spearmen, Veteran Swordsmen, & Pikemen

Tier 4 - Chosen Spearmen & Chosen Swordsmen
    Tier 5 - Chosen Pikemen & Champions
    RANGE
    Tier 1 - Slingers & Skirmisher Warband
    Tier 2 - Archer Warband & Chosen Skirmishers
    Tier 3 - Chosen Archers & Ballistas
    Tier 4 - Onagers
    STABLES
    Tier 1 - Light Cavalry

Tier 2 - Heavy Cavalry & Dacian Horse Archers
    Tier 3 - Dacian Noble Cavalry

TEMPLES
    Tier 2 - Falxmen
    GENERAL
    Barbarian Warlord
    Barbarian Chosen Warlord
    The Dacian Roster is one of the most diverse, and the largest roster that we have formulated so far. They have a lot of heavy infantry, as well as good missile units and a diverse cavalry selection. They even have some siege units for the late game. All in all, this should make one of the more boring factions one of the most interesting factions in the game!
    New Barbarian City Models by Lanjane

Download and Installation:

Download v6 HERE

One thing that I need to be clear on, is this mod runs on the Alexander.exe not the regular Rome Total War exe. Please make sure you use an Alexander Install.

If you have the last version of the mod, simply extract into the same location and overwrite your files. Make sure to delete the map.rwm file in HRTW/data/world/maps/base folder.
    If this is your first crack at my mod then follow these instructions:
    To Install, simply extract HRTW into your Rome Total War Directory, or if you use steam, your Rome Total War Alexander Directory. when making a shortcut, use the Alexander.exe or in steam go to Launch options and include this: -show_err -mod:HRTW

Credits:
    - Lanjane for unit work, ui cards and new settlements, as well as fixing some sprites
    - Kirilakristi for expert advice and analysis on Dacia
    - crazyroman for testing
    - Diadochi Total War for the Veteran Swordsmen, and Veteran Spearmen models as well as a texture
    - Barbarians Revenge Mod for Dacian Noble Cavalry, and Dacian Horse Archer base models
    - Macedon Expansion Mod for Chosen Skirmisher and Chosen Archer Warband base models
    - Rise of Empire Mod for Chosen Spearmen, Pikemen, Chosen Pikemen, Champions and Heavy Cavalry base models
    - 77 BC mod for Axemen base model

Finally, thank you all for downloading and making this mod happen!

~ ahowl11

Default Re: ahowl11's Vanilla Enhancement Mod v6 - Sons of Zalmoxis

Great job, man! Congrats on the release!
    Rome Total Realism Project Dev Team Member and Head of Public Relations
    RTR VII Beta Tester/Dev Team Member
    "Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.
    Proud patron of Aule_the_creator

Default Re: ahowl11's Vanilla Enhancement mod - the original thread

Keeping an eye on all your amazing work, ahowl. I can't wait to see how you guys overhaul the Greeks/Macs.

Damn you work fast but i mean that in a good way I wonder what faction will get overhauled next !

Civis

It's mods like this that make me wonder why developers can't get it right the first time around. Great work ahowl

johnswan's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    It's mods like this that make me wonder why developers can't get it right the first time around. Great work ahowl
    Yeah I second that,i've just come back to playing RTW after about three years off from it and this is just the sort of thing i've been looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by johnswan View Post
    Yeah I second that,i've just come back to playing RTW after about three years off from it and this is just the sort of thing i've been looking for.
    Hey good to see you around! Glad you’re enjoying it. Thrace will be released soon

Civis

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v6 Sons of Zalmoxis

Will Rome be consolidated into one faction? And if so, will there be two extra factions?

No they will not.

ahowl11's Vanilla Enhancement Mod v7
    Rise of the Serpent

Thrace is by far the most obscure faction in Rome Total War. It seems like the devs had originally planned for an Illyrian faction when at the last minute, they decided to make Thrace instead. Why? Every faction in this game that is non roman had a significant war or series of wars against Rome. Thrace had some minor altercations it seems. I was so perplexed by the idea of this faction that I almost turned them into Illyria. However, this is a vanilla enhancement mod that is supposed to add some historical flavor, not a realism mod.. so I left them in, and made them as interesting as possible!

Thracian Infantry

Thrace is a weird faction to mod in game terms as well. They are 'greek' in culture but historically they seemed to be a mix of Greek and Barbarian. The engine doesn't allow us to do much with that, and I didn't want them to seem 'barbarian' so I kept them as Greek, but made their units wild and fearsome. This faction is extremely unique compared to some of the others, and they should be a lot of fun to play with!

Here is a list of all the features in V7:
    - Complete Overhaul of Thracian Roster
    - New Feature: Culture. This is based off the BI religion feature and heavily influenced by XGM
    - Thracian 'Faction Destroyed' video now properly appears
    - Two new music tracks added to non roman and non barbarian campaigns. They are the Greek and Eastern intro tracks
    - Mod now runs with -noalexander. This enables intro videos to run again, so make sure you put that in your target line or the mod won't work!
    - Thrace has an exclusive Mercenary Unit to recruit in it's homelands: Bastarnae
    - All sprites are corrected, so there shouldn't be any missing anymore.
    The Thracian Roster is large and diverse, a far cry from the vanilla faction that seemed so bare. Check it out!
    Thracian Army

The Thracian Army in Detail:
    GOVERNMENT

Tier 1: Peasants
    Tier 2: Hillmen
    BARRACKS
    Tier 1: Swordsmen & Spearmen

Tier 2: Thracian Infantry & Thracian Spearmen
    Tier 3: Veteran Infantry & Pikemen

Tier 4: Thracian Heavy Infantry & Royal Pikemen
    Tier 5: Thracian Noble Infantry & Noble Falxmen
    RANGE
    Tier 1: Peltasts & Slingers
    Tier 2: Archers and Thracian Peltasts
    Tier 3: Heavy Peltasts & Ballistas
    Tier 4: Noble Peltasts & Onagers
    STABLES
    Tier 1: Militia Cavalry & Thracian Lancers
    Tier 2: Thracian Cavalry

Tier 3: Thracian Noble Cavalry
    Tier 4: Thracian Heavy Cavalry
    GENERAL
    Thracian General
    Thracian Armored General
    MERCENARIES
    Bastarnae
    This was one of the most fun rosters to make, and it should make for a very interesting campaign. As a player, you have multiple strategies to choose from. There are strong infantry and skirmishers as well as cavalry. There are also pikemen, so a smart general will use his selection wisely!

New Feature: Culture!

DOWNLOAD & INSTALLATION:
    Download here

To Install:

One thing that I need to be clear on, is this mod runs on the Alexander.exe not the regular Rome Total War exe. Please make sure you use an Alexander Install.
    READ CAREFULLY: If you have the last version of the mod, you must first go to HRTW/data/world/maps/campaign and delete the Alexander & Battlefields folders. Then, simply extract into the same location and overwrite your files. Make sure to delete the map.rwm file in HRTW/data/world/maps/base folder. THEN in your target line, make sure to add -noalexander to the end of it.

If this is your first crack at my mod then follow these instructions:

To Install, simply extract HRTW into your Rome Total War Directory, or if you use steam, your Rome Total War Alexander Directory. when making a shortcut, use the Alexander.exe or in steam go to Launch options and include this: -show_err -mod:HRTW -noalexander
    IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS, NOTHING WILL WORK!

Features listed in the forum or the latest article, once approved!

Credits:

- Lanjane for amazing unit cards and some model/texture edits as well as his own creations
    - BHL_20 for his awesome work on culture. He gave it his own flavor, and it fits in perfectly!
    - kirilakristi for analysis on Thracian Roster
    - Mausolos for letting me not forget about the Bastarnae
    - crazyroman for testing
    - XGM for Noble Falxmen Model & Culture idea
    - ME mod for some models & textures
    - Barbarians Revenge Mod for some models and textures
    - Rise of Empire mod for some models and textures
    - webbird for Thracian face skin
    - Everyone who's following and supporting this mod on moddb, Exilian and TWC
    - Everyone on Slack who keeps the community alive

Finally, thank you all for downloading and making this mod happen!
    - ahowl11

johnswan's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v7

Looks great,is it save game compatible from v6?

Quote Originally Posted by johnswan View Post
    Looks great,is it save game compatible from v6?
    Good question, I don't think it is, since we added the culture feature but you can try!

Just a heads up, I am probably going to be having two releases per month until I am finished. So a super long campaign isn't ideal. I'd recommend playing short campaigns with each faction to get a feel for them as well as being able to give me any feedback on how they can be further improved once the base game is finished.

johnswan's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Good question, I don't think it is, since we added the culture feature but you can try!

Just a heads up, I am probably going to be having two releases per month until I am finished. So a super long campaign isn't ideal. I'd recommend playing short campaigns with each faction to get a feel for them as well as being able to give me any feedback on how they can be further improved once the base game is finished.
    Ok cheers for the swift reply. I'll finish my current game as Egypt soon as I am being thrashed,then maybe try a few short ones.

Lanjane's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: ahowl11's VE Mod (Main Discussion) v7 Rise of the Serpent

johnswan
    And don't forget to add -noalexander to your current shortcut after installing v7.
    Don't run too far, you will have to return the same distance.
    - Biblical Proverb
    Nobody will try to figure it out if you are made of glass or of metal. They'll treat you the same way.
    When you show your strength, you'll find a company of those who want to steal it from you, but your weakness, you'll be all alone with it.

- Winter Voices

Lanjane's Barbarian Empires * Barbarian Empires: Hellenistic Legacy * Extended Cultures V * Rome - Total Realism 8 * Lanjane's Mini-Workshop * Rome: Total Music

johnswan's Avatar Tiro

Ok.

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

Amazing work on the Thracian roster.
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

do you plan to do parthia or macedon? macedon suffer for a lack of units to support their phalanx and parthia a severe lack of infantry

Quote Originally Posted by legend of rome ii View Post
    do you plan to do parthia or macedon? macedon suffer for a lack of units to support their phalanx and parthia a severe lack of infantry
    All factions will be done eventually

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

I don't know if this already answered but any chance to implement mudus magnus?
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

Not for this mod because there’s no intention to add Bactria or India.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast