Thread: CTD

Default CTD

I'm getting a really bad CTD at turn 75 of my HRE campaign. Can anyone please take a look at what's going wrong?

SS6.4 Syslog:-

01:05:48.539 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    01:05:48.540 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Sep 5 2014 version development ===
    01:05:48.545 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    01:05:48.545 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    01:05:48.546 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    01:05:48.547 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    01:05:48.548 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    01:05:48.548 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    01:06:21.036 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    01:08:24.150 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: CTD

You’ll need to set your log to trace, and generate another log, as this log doesn’t tell us anything.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

aljonzc's Avatar Civis

Hey ahhmm forgive me if there's already a fix for this kind of CTD but I really can't find one that's working for my case. When I play campaign I can only play 3 battles max (sometimes 2, I also the I noticed that the radar map turns black only showing the red and blue but not the terrain) before the game ctd. It says fatal graphic error (sometimes unspecified error going into 4th battle) but I already tried toning it down to the lowest level but it still occurs. So I thought it was due to the game being out of date, or might be some modern software incompatibility but then I tried the Americas play almost 3hrs without CTD. I also tried this BugFix_Compilation_v1.27 with no avail. I'm using the STEAM version and already applied the fix for new patch.

MatVego's Avatar Civis

Set your log in default.cfg from (...)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SS6.3, to this:

[log]
    to=mods/SS6.3/system.log.txt
    ;level=* error
    level=* trace

Then upload your system.log
    Last edited by MatVego; September 21, 2018 at 04:16 PM.
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither."
    - Benjamin Franclin (1706-1790)
    "The best fortress which a prince can possess is the affection of his people."
    -
    Niccolò Machiavelli (1469-1527)
    "A Nation That Does Not Respect His Past, Does Not Deserve Respect Of The Present And Has No Right To The Future."
    -Józef Piłsudski (1867-1935)

aljonzc's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by MatVego View Post
    Set your log in default.cfg from (...)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SS6.3, to this:

[log]
    to=mods/SS6.3/system.log.txt
    ;level=* error
    level=* trace

Then upload your system.log
    Attached Files Attached Files

aljonzc's Avatar Civis

Forget my comment.. I found a fix...

Okay, so I'm getting the dreaded CTD before and after almost every battle, but here's something interesting. Sometimes if I reload the game after the crash, I can play through the same battle and not have a problem. That's weird.
    Here are my specs for the game as well as my log file:

Win 10 pro and Medieval 2 Steam edition with Kingdoms expansion
    SS6.4 with Meloo's bug fixes. (I installed everything correctly)
    Turned down graphics settings to medium
    UAC is turned off
    Attached Files Attached Files

MatVego's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiu View Post
    Hey, I've managed to stabilise the game and am now playing with very rare crashes, and only on the campaign map. For anybody googling around trying to get their head around the same problem, here's a quick list of things to do. This is for a Steam version on Win 10.

0*) Install game outside Program Files and Program Files(x86) folders.
    1) Install 6.3 (run installer as admin).
    2) Install 6.4 (run installer as admin).
    3) Install 1.27 bugfix (run installer as admin)
    4) Test the game. If you get the Kingdoms.exe error, go to Steam and launch a kingdoms campaign. This seemed to generate the .exe for me.
    5) Download Large Address Aware. Google it and you'll find it. I believe it is against the terms & conditions of this site for me to link it directly. Run it against the SS launcher, Medieval 2.exe and Kingdoms.exe.
    6) Increase your page file memory. I set mine to 4gb. Make a mental note of doing this, so you can reverse it to allowing the system to decide how much to allocate should you have issues with other games/applications after having done this.
    7) Whenever you launch the game, go to task manager and set the game's affinity to one core.

Don't run the game under compatibility mode on Win10. It doesn't help and just produces a graphics error.

The whole end-to-end process shouldn't take more than half an hour.
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither."
    - Benjamin Franclin (1706-1790)
    "The best fortress which a prince can possess is the affection of his people."
    -
    Niccolò Machiavelli (1469-1527)
    "A Nation That Does Not Respect His Past, Does Not Deserve Respect Of The Present And Has No Right To The Future."
    -Józef Piłsudski (1867-1935)

I just want to say thanks for the help concerning the CTDs. I applied the 4gb patch to the .exe files and now I can play through a campaign without crashing. Just a simple fix that makes a big difference. Battles are nice and smooth now.