Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tokyo Medical School Tampers With Test Scores To Purposely Exclude Women

Praeses

Default Re: Tokyo Medical School Tampers With Test Scores To Purposely Exclude Women

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    ]

The fact says different. Given opportunity the 'Tradition' can only survive by cheating. .
    My attitudes say different, and I think we agree its bad, but its reasonable to assume Japanese people could be acting properly as they see it. they have had some Western institutions imposed on them, others they have embraced.

As pointed out they are not Robinson Crusoe here, its not a specifically Japanese trait to treat women as inferior or different. The thoughts in the heads of the cheats were probably not "screw all women, we will do our part for the global patriarchy" but more like "geez Toshiro's a great bloke, can't we get him I ahead of Aio, he'd be crushed if he didn't get in and she won't mid she can get a position somewhere else". Its sexism and its bad but its worth trying to understand.

That said I know of older doctors in Australia who discriminate against women as women, and I guess that would be happening in Japan too.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post

Just about the same as what the good and the beautiful had to resort to in Athens when the democracy rolled around.
    Don't get me started on Socrates, they can throw his statues on the trash heap with Stalin's for all I care, he was a nasty piece of work.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Default Re: Tokyo Medical School Tampers With Test Scores To Purposely Exclude Women

They see themselves as resilient civilized people who can mimick the necessary, and create the necessary by themselves. In some ways, the foreigners is more barbarian than the Japanese.

The fact they only bended down after 2 nukes speaks for itself, why would they bend down for some nasty words when they recovered so fast from 2 nukes? This is an very interesting ethnic group, full of capabilities, which despite that, will have their flaws, as the op mentions, but that's it, it's very civilized place, moreso than some "westerners".

The thing is, the Japanese don't see themselves as Indigenous Omopa Lompas who need micro-management from Anglosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Don't get me started on Socrates, they can throw his statues on the trash heap with Stalin's for all I care, he was a nasty piece of work.
    Socrates is on the level of Stalin? Now that's edgy
    Last edited by fkizz; August 19, 2018 at 09:12 AM.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    It may have robots and politeness and low crime and good health
    It also has the Yakuza
    Let alone a rather ominous state of denial regarding their actions in ww2.
    Japan is also one of the most xenophobic societies around (certainly by 'western' standards).

That said, it is imo positive that they maintain a type of "own" culture (to the degree this is still possible; ie it is already a hybrid). Japanese 19th century painting, and early 20th century literature are quite notable.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    Socrates is on the level of Stalin? Now that's edgy
    Not really. OK Maybe not Socrates in truth but certainly Plato's Socrates is the intellectual father of a Totalitarian top down re design of society to make it better and break the eggs you have too in order do that. The real Socrates seems more have just wanting annoy people into change by never shutting up (and in not accepting exile would appear to come to realize his favorite states would have shut him right quickly). But than again you have the play the game untangling Plato from Socrates, and given even at the Plato only manged to call himself Athenian Stranger - he (Plato) was a brilliant chameleon.
    Last edited by conon394; August 24, 2018 at 11:36 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

There isn't much similarity between Stalin and Plato or Socrates. For starters, Stalin wasn't a philosopher
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    There isn't much similarity between Stalin and Plato or Socrates. For starters, Stalin wasn't a philosopher
    Stalin not so much sure. But Plato is the intellectual to enables Stalin or the Thirty Tyrants. Stalin is the effective manager of building the new state at all costs. I did not say he think it up.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12