Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help with making fantasy style medieval map

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: Need help with making fantasy style medieval map

@Cookiegod, the guide is super helpful, and thanks a million for making me a copy of my area. I might take some images of my own from the website and play with what regions I'd like to include or exclude, but having all the layers already there is very nice and will get me motivated to get cracking more quickly.
    Yep, you should do it yourself, since only you can know what you want and only after having experimented a bit. The one I uploaded can help you to get started quicker and save some time.
    You said your map is something like 5000 pixels wide. Did you just take the saved image and then scale the map to be that big? If so, are the features still good looking, or does it get weirdly pixelated?
    That's because I created .svg-Versions of the elements needed (coastlines, mountains).
    So if you need a larger map, .svg (= scalable vector graphic) is the way to go. Everything else get's either pixelated or blurry.
    If you're a noob at that like I am, then you go back to .xcf once you've scaled the image.
    Be aware however that the size increases the amount of calculations needed, and it'll become progressively slower to work with.
    found out the hard way about Lake Nasser (that wide part of the Nile) only after I'd drawn it into my first map, and then had to delete it
    I referenced the exact same lake when I mentioned Aswan. That's the name of the dam.
    Finding the right rivers to draw can be tricky. I twice failed to draw the upper part of the Garonne river, where Toulouse is located, because from its course it just looks like a small sideriver.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Citizen

My laptop bluescreened and I lost a lot of data. The map is amongst these things.

If I'm to ever restart it, I'll do it similarly to the last one posted, but with forrests etc. added.
    But if I do, it'll take a lot of time before I get there and I think I'll rather publish a final result rather than WIP.

So I think this thread is done.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Sad news for your laptop indeed
    This thread will remain open for now anyhow. You never know, you might want to carry on here again one day
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Citizen

Well I think it's highly unlikely, but ok. I think I have mostly found my style anyway (thanks guys!), so the thread has achieved its purpose.

It's a super super big bummer that your machine crashed and you lost your material, but I am glad to hear this thread has been of some use. At any rate, you've taught me a thing or two and given me some really good pointers for my own future mapmaking, and who knows, maybe a grateful guy might make a glorious map and share the .xcf file with you once it's at a good working stage
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Hey man, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving a quick run-down of how you opened/modified the .svg file to make it larger? I know I can find tutorials of things online, but I would sort of like to know how you did it, as I like the final result you have and you know what things are important for map-making purposes (so many tutorials go into weird things about photo editing or other nonsense I don't need). Just a very brief post like the one you did before would be awesome, provided you have the time.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Citizen

Well, the issue is more in creating the .svg.
    I exported some of the layers I had created (as you can see in the .xcf-layer above) traced the map with inkscape (once for the coastlines, thrice for the mountains), and saved the result as .svg.

Most imagetypes are basically a giant matrix. Every pixel is a number. In .svg it's different however. You have nodes with given coordinates, and every line from them have a force and a direction =vectors.
    So you can scale them without quality loss because you're not dealing with pixels but with shapes as a whole.

So when you take an .svg like the coastlines one, which I started out with, and open it with GIMP, GIMP then asks you how big you want the map. Last time I simply used 5000x2500px, then cut a tiny bit of the edge away. Should have chosen more of a 16:9 proportion, but oh well.

GIMP then makes a pixelated version of the .svg, but with the resolution you want it to have. It also imports the paths, so you can redraw them as long as you keep them in your .xcf. The paths in GIMP work a lot like .svg
    Last edited by Cookiegod; September 05, 2018 at 02:06 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123