Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shieldwall - General Information and Goals

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Default Re: Shieldwall - General Information and Goals

Sort of but we are limited in what we can do as recruitment uses the mercenary pool, that said we are introducing unique mercenaries that can be hired as your faction gains fame. Basically the more famous your faction is the better mercenaries your faction can recruit. This is our list of mercenaries so far:

Frankish Horsemen
    Svear Vikingar - Swedes
    Saxon Band
    Old Captain
    Jomsvikingnar
    Vikingar
    Sailors
    Silver Wolves

There will be a few others as well but these units have their own unique colors and banner as well.

Just wanted to say, IIRC pre-release when people were asking CA why Gallowglass were in game when they weren't mentioned until the 12th century, their answer was basically that they just used Gallowglass as a name to represent Norse Mercenaries fighting for the Irish. So while the name isn't right I'd say the idea from the base game is fine and it makes sense to give some Norse merc unit to the Irish faction.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by AHumpierRogue View Post
    Just wanted to say, IIRC pre-release when people were asking CA why Gallowglass were in game when they weren't mentioned until the 12th century, their answer was basically that they just used Gallowglass as a name to represent Norse Mercenaries fighting for the Irish. So while the name isn't right I'd say the idea from the base game is fine and it makes sense to give some Norse merc unit to the Irish faction.
    I'm not sure. The hiring of galloglasses was a reaction of the Irish elites to the threat posed by the English formations of knights and archers used as a tool to colonize Ireland in 12c. I'm not sure there's a similar reaction in 9-10c. Recruitment of merc was also not so easy, it'd be rather through an alliance with a group of Norse invaders - to it's rather a matter of politics in the ToB.

At this moment we don't plan for irish to have any Gael-Norse or Norse units in their main roster. But that being said, as your faction gains fame you'll be able to recruit mercenaries such as Vikings or Jomsvikingar, so somewhat you will get a replacement for the Galloglaigh

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth

Long away from playing and modding TW games, i just stumbled about a ToB YT-review by Gamestar, and as expected from early pre-release ToB watches, it just confirms my fears. And well, a pity ofc, the scenario around Alfred the Great is one of my absolute favourites, as usually, CA wasn't able to make a proper depiction of according history. Anyways, i asked myself if there was a realism mod in the works ... et voila, found yours.

Have read through the entire thread here. Keep up the good work, guys!
    # Human impact has a name: Anthropocene # ...not just a Global Warming but a Global Disaster NASA: Climate Change # Plastic Emission # Support ICAN International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons # MIT study "Falsehoods Win"
    # Nowadays, fascists and latent fascists believe of themselves they are not fascist, because nationalism-chauvinism-racism-xenophoby becomes once again socially acceptable: The destruction of civil society. Religious fundamentalism, fanatism, hypocrisy, prejudice, discrimination, segregation and incitement to hatred goes hand in hand with this societal sickness, which only started with a public moral decay and web hatestorms a la nazi-zombies unleashed, preparing mob-law, culture and civil war. The barbaric mind re-erects pseudo-democracies, on the way to fascist totalitarian states. And if TWC had a Neo-Fascisto-Meter, it would ring loud. # "there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, Joseph Wirth - from 1919-23 the Freikorps (a breed nest for "normal" psychopaths, later in fe. the SS) did more than 300 political murders. Wirth's comment is still valid, the Right is only waiting on Day X. # People of the world, unite, against the Right!
    # Published Modding Activities, 2005 - 2019

Senator

I'm also waiting patiently. I bought the game but will only start playing after this mod releases. Last time I played a TW game unmodded was ... MTW? And that perhaps because I was new to the franchise.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Here is a small preview of a couple mercenary units that can be recruited in Shieldwall.

Saxon Band
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Frankish Cavalry
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Very interesting concept, lookong realy forward to this. I am very happy that you have performance in mind, so that u dont add to much assets within one unit.

Van Zandt's Avatar pulvis et umbra
    Citizen Modding Staff

Blog Entries

This looks very interesting ... like the idea of darts and throwing spears

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123