Thread: Let's talk about Mongols

Default Let's talk about Mongols

If CA would make Mongols, which era would they make,

Genghiz Khan or the division of empire into 4 sub-empires?

Which do you prefer?

Default Re: Let's talk about Mongols

IMO it would only make sense to start with Genghis Khan, starting as he is just a powerful warlord in Mongolia. Probably even name it after him, like, "Genghis Khan Total War" similar to Napoleon. If the Mongols were already divided into 4 empires on a large map it would be kind of boring in the eastern half of the map(Yuan Dynasty) where you basically have no opposition. The West would be more interesting but still, I'd prefer a Genghis start. The big question with a Mongol title IMO is how they handle the map. They could have one large map, stretching from the Pacific to Russia. Or they could divide it like Napoleon, into several campaigns. They could have a Russian Campaign, Middle Eastern Campaign, initial starting "Rise to power" campaign, final conquest of china campaign etc. They could simply split the map in two if they deem it otherwise to large, with an eastern and western campaign. And of course there is also the problem of just how much you include. Do you include Japan? Southeast Asia? India? And for the west, how far do you push? Just Russian states? Into Hungary? Further than that? Do you cross over into the Balkans or keep Anatolia as the edge of that part of the map? And would you cut away some of the steppe(even bits that the Mongols did control) that are not important even though in theorythe map would extend far north enough to include it? That's not to mention balance.

Personally while I do expect that using a similar map to 3K Mongols will be the next TW game honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it focused purely on the east. So yeah, Genghis start.

Default Re: Let's talk about Mongols

You can make many campaign start dates to choose from. The whole interesting mongolian era is probably from 1200 to 1360~ish, so there is like 160 years of option to choose from.