Thread: An Invitation to Westminster

Default An Invitation to Westminster

Not long after the Queen’s travels to Westminster, a missive arrives at Canterbury. The Archbishop, the famed scholar Lanfranc, was invited to attend upon the Young King. Before his appointment to Canterbury, Lanfranc had been William’s chaplain and personal friend, and had been the Duke’s greatest spiritual advisor. The appointment had been only natural upon the death of Stigand, even if he’d required some coercion from the Pope himself to do so. Matilda and her daughter hoped to utilise this friendship to bring the Archbishop around to their way of thinking.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: An Invitation to Westminster

Lanfranc of Pavia was the name that the Italian came to be known as. A member of the Benedictine monks in Normandy, he served previously as a prior of Bec Abbey and was later elevated to Abbot of St. Stephen. It came as a slight surprise when he was made Archbishop of Canterbury, but there very little objections given his talents as a scholar. His hairs had long since to grey and white, but the Italian still served diligently in God's name. He came to Westminister only a few days later after the missive was sent. His person attended by a few guards hired for the journey and a couple priests of his parish. The Italian comes forth to the King, bowing his head in due respect to both King and Queen before approaching Edgar. He extends his hand to the King.

My King, how may this Servant of God be of service to you?
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

(Edgar isn't here)

Lanfranc is greeted in a smaller chamber of the palace by Matilda, who knew him personally from the days in which the Italian served William as his greatest advisor.

"Dear friend and eminence."

William's widow offers a smile and an inclination of the head, a recognition of Lanfranc's authority.

"I am sorry to call upon you, but the times are trying. I need a friend's advice, and fortunately for me my friend is Christendom's greatest cleric."

But the smile disappears. She exhales.

"Lord de Clare has begun a campaign of pagan blood-lust across East Anglia. Deeds that are not fit for Christian ears, such as the flaying and mutilating of corpses."

Her gaze returns to him, and she appeared wearied.

"I do not wish to be presumptuous, but this behaviour isn't even fitting of the lowliest Saracen."

Citizen

Lanfranc's eyebrow is raised slightly by what was said to him.

I have heard of some... disturbing actions being done within the King's realm. And I daresay the King would not approve of these actions. For it is like the Romans sacking Jerusalem or the Goths sacking Rome.

The Italian quickly does the sign of the cross for those innocent killed.

What's worse is that we are speaking of a de Clare doing this. A cousin of the late Conqueror after all... it is truly the lowest of actions.

The older male clears his throat slightly.

For it says in the Book of Peter, "Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing." And in Psalms, God loves the righteous, but hates those who love violence with a passion. I have heard what has happened and befallen the de Clare family... but to answer violence with more violence is unchristian!

"Yes. And he must pay penance, or surely he is not fit to stand with other Christians in prayer."

The Queen dowager piously replied, mimicking the Archbishop's own gesture of the cross.

Citizen

Indeed, for he has taken the King's justice into his own hands... and neither Giffard, the Constable, nor His Majesty are present to give said justice.

That laid their problem. Clare was able to do as he pleased with the two primary figures of justice absent in London.

It is one thing that his son and heir was taken, but it is a step too far to take revenge on the lives of the innocent commoners.

"Indeed. So you see my predicament, your eminence. My grandson is but a child, not ready to rule."

The Queen dowager idly played with her wedding ring.

"But you have the authority to censure him. Respected as you are."

Citizen

An excommunication may be a step too far... but I can gather the clergy to have the Church issue a statement, demanding that de Clare cease his actions or face religious punishment.

The Italian ponders on his options, there were plenty. He could easily persuade the clergy given the situation going on.

A shepherd must always be ready to let the sheep return to the flock. This is de Clare's chance, and only chance, of redemption. Would you not agree, mi'lady?

“Is it too far? This is terrible conduct, as you said. It is barbarous murder and sadistic torture. If that does not warrant exclusion and excommunication I do not know what does.”

Matilda had been sickened by reports of corpses being flayed for sport. War is war, but this was offensive to her sensibilities.

Citizen

"Then I shall gather the clergy and make it known to the realm. Lord Clare will be separated from the Church and mass... he will be made equal to that of the barbarians of old and the pagans. May God show no mercy to his eternal soul."