Thread: About mercenaries and mercenary pools

Centenarius

Default About mercenaries and mercenary pools

Hi everyone,

I spent the last two days modifying descr_mercenaries.txt to create various mercenary pools for all the regions of the map; and currently there are 62 pools.

Now i had the idea of transforming all the current and future rebels-only-unrecruitable units into mercenaries that can be hired in certain regions, according to the pools. Not using the hidden_resource system but the regular hire mercenary button as seen in RTW and in vanilla M2TW. For example Quillboars in Southern Barrens, Satyrs in Felwood, Furbolgs and Dark Trolls in all the Night Elven Lands, Centaurs in Desolace and so on. What do you think? Can it be a valid gameplay addon to create variety?.

The file is just ready, for now it has only vanilla units as placeholders, who wants it?.

I have attached the mercenary map generated with Geomod Tool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mercenaries.png  
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Default Re: About mercenaries and mercenary pools

I'd like it. One thing I enjoy is regional recruitment of various units. Can play your elves like a new roman empire, recruiting and expending auxilia to maintain their strength during campaigns.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    Hi everyone,

I spent the last two days modifying descr_mercenaries.txt to create various mercenary pools for all the regions of the map; and currently there are 62 pools.

Now i had the idea of transforming all the current and future rebels-only-unrecruitable units into mercenaries that can be hired in certain regions, according to the pools. Not using the hidden_resource system but the regular hire mercenary button as seen in RTW and in vanilla M2TW. For example Quillboars in Southern Barrens, Satyrs in Felwood, Furbolgs and Dark Trolls in all the Night Elven Lands, Centaurs in Desolace and so on. What do you think? Can it be a valid gameplay addon to create variety?.

The file is just ready, for now it has only vanilla units as placeholders, who wants it?.

I have attached the mercenary map generated with Geomod Tool
    Bantu wanted me to add mercenary pools earlier but i thought it too much work for my liking to add all those pools, too much boring work that is - i've done a lot more work on this mod but didn't feel like doing that part.

Great job - you should write to him about that. I suggest only adding rebels that are already units now. We already have Satyrs, new Slimes/bandits/Highwaymen/Goblin Crews and possibly some other units for the next version.

Not sure if we'll get the Furlbolgs, Centaurs, Harpies, Kobolds, Pirates etc.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Bantu Chieftain's Avatar Biarchus

I'm going to make a thread with recruitable mercenaries and who can recruit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantu Chieftain View Post
    I'm going to make a thread with recruitable mercenaries and who can recruit them.
    Sure, that will help - i could also use a text document with your Horde descriptions.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Centenarius

I think you know, in the vanilla game there's a system where a particular mercenary unit can be hired only by specific religion/religions; for example:

Code:
        unit Condottieri            exp 0 cost 810 replenish 0.06 - 0.18 max 3 initial 0 start_year 1400 religions { catholic orthodox }
    May be useful
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Bantu Chieftain's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    I think you know, in the vanilla game there's a system where a particular mercenary unit can be hired only by specific religion/religions; for example:

Code:
        unit Condottieri            exp 0 cost 810 replenish 0.06 - 0.18 max 3 initial 0 start_year 1400 religions { catholic orthodox }
    May be useful

Does it happend for you to have a list of all rebel-only units?
    No current faction units can currently be recruited by other faction.

As for AoR units, we need to discuss who can recruit and why(some lore accuracy).

Does it happend for you to have a list of all rebel-only units?
    No current faction units can currently be recruited by other faction.

As for AoR units, we need to discuss who can recruit and why(some lore accuracy).
    I have the original merc-units in my head.

I cannot bother to make a list. I just need models and then i will implement them.

If you want ordinary units available as mercs we would need to re-do some BMDB-work.

- The Havamal