Thread: Official 3DS Max 2018 export plugin

Rewinged's Avatar Civis

Default Official 3DS Max 2018 export plugin

This is from the Thrones of Britannia Assembly kit which was briefly available yesterday before it was taken down to fix some bugs. I haven't tested it but I'm sure it would have no problems. Hopefully this will make things easier since it's impossible to even purchase licenses for the versions of 3DS Max that the older exporters required.

Happy modelling

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qe...LJiuqFpKZhbzJQ
    Last edited by Rewinged; August 06, 2018 at 05:42 AM.

Default Re: Official 3DS Max 2018 export plugin

You... You are a god! As weird as it sounds, I cannot express how happy I am someone uploaded the 2018 ver.!! I can finally finish my mods!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!

Rewinged's Avatar Civis

No problems all, glad it's helping someone out One of the main things driving me away from modding TW games was the outdated plugins. It's hard enough that I only use Maya so having to export it all to 3DS max was a little annoying as I'm unfamiliar with it, but when the tools were so out of date you couldn't even obtain the right versions by legal means I gave up lol. Glad I can start working on stuff again myself

Is there a tutorial on how to use these to get the models back into Total War games? I was able to import a rigid model into 3DS using UU3D but get stuck on how to do anything with it after I export it with this tool to make a CS2 file.

Haedar's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by rpdmatt View Post
    Is there a tutorial on how to use these to get the models back into Total War games? I was able to import a rigid model into 3DS using UU3D but get stuck on how to do anything with it after I export it with this tool to make a CS2 file.
    me too

You're a lifesaver Rpdmatt, thank you. I think this gives us something like 7 more years of being able to import stuff. Since you can still get 3 year trials for 2016 (while getting it for 2017, 2018, 2019). So in theory circa 2021 or so you'd still be able to maybe get a 2018 trial for another 3 years.
    Last edited by Ahiga; September 29, 2018 at 10:42 PM.

Alright. So I've been fiddling with it in 3dsmax 2018. I'm flying blind but, in order to try and get the CS2 conversion to work:

1) Customize > Preference Settings > Viewports > Choose Driver > Legacy Direct 3D
    2) Restart client
    3) Reload, in this case the R2 Roman cavalry helmet
    4) Rendering > Material Editor > Material Compact Editor
    5) Section beneath HLSL file > change it to standard_lighting_assembly_kit given to us by Rewinged.
    6) I dunno what the hell I did, maybe it was just that legacy direct 3d, but now the parameters are filled in and I see the options I remembered from 2013/2014 3dsmax.
    7) Convert in BOB. No more Albedo error. It works.

I did some other fiddling, but that seems to be what fixed it. I got the file to load in tweak, animated and everything.

rpdmatt and Haedarr, try http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Helmet/page10 the last post's video, since the screenshots are no longer available from Warmann. However, you can follow along with his text advice.
    Last edited by Ahiga; September 29, 2018 at 10:42 PM.

I'm beating myself up trying to figure out how to get the 2018 version to work. When I start to look for the bones to rig the helmet to under the skin modifier, 2018 3DS Max crashes on me, and I don't know why.

It's funny you say that. It worked for me back when I wrote that post in September 2018, and now after a break I picked up 3dsmax again and it crashes every time I do exactly that. If I can find out a solution I'll report it.

Edit: It happens only on a new model, imported or whatever. If I delete the skin and re-assign a skin on a model within the system, no crash. Makes it seem like the issues is some kind of disconnect that happens when you import a model and it doesn't get assigned to the bones?

-Importing a DAE file vs object did not fix the issue
    -I don't see any options in the import that should cause this. Likewise I don't remember changing anything, so it's possible the change is on 3dsmax's end - perhaps a patch that invalidated this or something.
    -You can't even add the skin modifier, save and then reload. If you add the skin modifier at all, it causes the crash.

-I tried importing a helmet, save and close 3dsmax, reopen it and then do the skin modifier. I was able to add it, move around and no crash. I then was able to add the bn_head, move around, save the file, no crash.
    -But then I tried it again on a different object and it did CTD. That time I did not close 3dsmax, I just reset and then reopened it. After crash I opened it again and the CTD happened once more - but only when I tried to move the animation bar.

-Now open a file with an imported object having been saved. Add skin modifier. Saved it with skin modifier. Closed out of 3dsmax. Reloaded 3dsmax file.Added bone head. Crashed.

-I did the exact same thing on a different file, my version of generic_spangenhelm_elite from attila, and it all worked. I can move around after assigning the skin modifier.

-Of ing course, attila's 3dsmax files have always thwarted me to work properly, so I have to figure out how to get the issue to work on R2 3dsmax files.

1) I deleted my helmet 3dsmax roman_cavalry_helmet_2 file, validated cache of my R2 to reclaim it.
    2) Did my #4 step to reget a texture on the helmet
    3) Imported new helmet
    4) Added skin modifier. No crash so far
    5) Went to assign bn_head skin. It did not show up, I closed the selection browser. No crash
    6) Reopened select bones. Clicked Eyeball to Display hidden objects
    7) Selected bone head
    8) Closed. Able to move around. Saved file.
    9) Moved scrollbar at the bottom to go through animations - no crash
    10) Assigned the rome2 helmet texture as a test,
    11) Exported selected new helmet
    12) It converted right. I did not test it to see if the rigging worked yet.

tldr solution: Delete your roman_cavalry_helmet_2 file, revalidate cache of R2 toolkit. Start over anew in that file. I am not sure if merging from other files will be a problem or not. I tried importing/merging a single object from another file and I was able to rig it.
    Last edited by Ahiga; January 25, 2019 at 03:25 PM.

The error came back. As far as I can tell importing with the DAE file format is the risky issue. I did import one item with it and I don't think the issue came up, but I tried importing a crest with DAE and it is whigging the out again. Goes beyond the skin mesh, so something is wrong on that DAE importation. Unfortunately as soon as a file is ed up it becomes unsalvagable, I don't know how to fix it.

Started over, fresh roman cavalry helmet 2 file. Attempt 1:

-Imported via a merge the helmet I was working on. That one functioned fine, it was the crest that was broken.
    -Imported OBJ file via UU3D (not Blender DAE).

It worked fine until I made an lod5 and then prooptimized. Literally it was fine letting me prooptimize on lod2. Soon as I did it on an exact copy of lod2 called lod5 it immediately CTD. I don't know what the is wrong with 3dsmax but it's ridiculous, there's zero rhyme or reason to this madness.

In case the issue was the merged over helmet from the 'tainted' file I loaded a fresh roman cavalry 2 helmet, imported the OBJ of my helmet. It let me prooptimize lod2, lod3, lod4. It crashed on lod5.

So apparently 3dsmax is the biggest freaking goldilocks imaginable and throws a temper tantrum if you have 5 lods. I was able to prooptimize lod3 and lod4 no problem after deleting lod5. I was then able to remake lod5 and it worked no problem - so I am utterly ????? here.
    Last edited by Ahiga; January 28, 2019 at 11:20 PM.

Tsar Stefan Dusan IV's Avatar Loonatic on the loose!!

Anyone can upload this?
    I need it so much.
    Have max 2016

can anyone re-upload the link?