Thread: Retexturing problem (HALP!)

Default Retexturing problem (HALP!)

Hey guys, i don't normally come here to ask questions as i revel in figuring stuff out on my own. Im a recent new modder to TW:W2 and i've been trudging my way through this pack file manager haphazardly to be frank. I've figured out a lot in the small time i've worked with PFM 5.0 but i can't seem to get my re-textures correct. To start the conversation (hopefully) i will attach a picture below as to illustrate my progress, and, the problem im facing should be quite obvious on inspection of the picture.

To be clear, i am able to apply some of my re-texture (black platemail), but it is missing in some spots.
    I've ensured all my proper files are linked-- and the rigid models are all edited properly in the hex editor. The weird thing about this particular model's (emp_warrior_priest) file structure is that there is no torso,legs,arm folders -- just head. So every re-texture needs to be linked back into the head directory which i have done.. I think i just need another opinion, a fresh set of (more experienced) eyes or something to shed some light.

Thanks in advance for looking and any help of course is greatly appreciated!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: Retexturing problem (HALP!)

So, it turns out i am missing some DDS files, most likely missing a diffuse file for the pieces missing. I can't find it anywhere and it certainly isnt with the normal DDS files. Still working this out.. Perhaps agents have additional files elsewhere? Seems odd.

I believe textures of heroes and some lords are found in campaign_variants.pack (s) in data folder.

Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!

Does variantmesh of the model links to .rigidmodel_v2 or .wsmodel?

From original Warhammer 2 campaign_variants.pack
    variantmesh definitions/ emp_warrior_priest_campaign_01.variantmeshdefinition

In my mods I use rigid models as definitions using Sebidees retexturing unit tutorial and have less problem with washed out texures .
    Most of modding things is trial and error without guides and since they change things in patches.

Rigid models that I use usually call on several dds textures ( diffuse, normal , specular ,gloss , mask) when one of those change location in patch similar texture bug happens to me .

<VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="head" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1\emp\emp_warrior_priest\head\warrior_priest_head_01.wsmodel" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="torso" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1\emp\emp_warrior_priest\torso\warrior_priest_torso_01.wsmodel" >
    <META_DATA>audio_entity_type:wh_human_male_LH</META_DATA> <META_DATA>audio_armour_type:plate</META_DATA></VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="legs" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1\emp\emp_warrior_priest\legs\warrior_priest_legs_01.wsmodel" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_1" attach_point="be_prop_0" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_2" attach_point="be_prop_1" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1\emp\emp_props\emp_warrior_priest_hammer_1h_01.rigid_model_v2" >
    <META_DATA>audio_melee_weapon_type:hammer</META_DATA></VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="shield" attach_point="be_prop_2" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" attach_point="be_prop_3" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_4" attach_point="be_prop_4" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_5" attach_point="be_prop_5" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1\emp\emp_props\emp_warrior_priest_book_rigid_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="stump_neck" attach_point="spine_2" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/dlc02_blood_pack/dlc02_stump_neck_hu1_1.rigid_model_v2" >
    <META_DATA>equipment</META_DATA></VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="stump_left_arm" attach_point="clav_left" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/dlc02_blood_pack/dlc02_stump_left_arm_hu1_1.rigid_model_v2" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="stump_right_arm" attach_point="clav_right" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/dlc02_blood_pack/dlc02_stump_right_arm_hu1_1.rigid_model_v2" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="stump_waist" attach_point="root" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/dlc02_blood_pack/dlc02_stump_waist_hu1_1.rigid_model_v2" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="stump_severed_head" attach_point="head" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/dlc02_blood_pack/dlc02_stump_head_hu1_3.rigid_model_v2" >
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    Last edited by kelembribor21; August 04, 2018 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kelembribor21 View Post
    <SLOT name="torso" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1\emp\emp_warrior_priest\torso\warrior_priest_torso_01.wsmodel" >
    <META_DATA>audio_entity_type:wh_human_male_LH</META_DATA> <META_DATA>audio_armour_type:plate</META_DATA></VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    In that case, Rusery, you need to edit the variantmeshdefinition to point to .rigidmodel_v2 directly, or, I guess more proper approach would be to edit the .wsmodel to point to your new .dds in diffuse field instead.

I make new (copy orignal and rename it , rigid model file , as I say I follow Sebidees tutorial not to change name length example warrior_priest_torzo_01.rigidmodel / or warrior_priest_torso_22.rigidmodel and open it with hex editor and rename all diffuse, normal , spec ... textures that I change and place them in folder that is pointed out in rigidmodel file. That makes me able to use both old and new textures.
    There might be other ways but this I use for now .
    Example on dark elf shades original /moded in same unit.

Thanks for the insight guys.

@Kelembri yeah, his tutorial is basically my groundwork, but its certainly a lot weirder when dealing with making agents into a unit and i've had to figure a few things out on my own. Your examples are perfect structure wise and i try my best to follow them too. One of my main issues with file structure is that sometimes, the files don't want to fall under their proper category, like when im trying to add a dds/rigid to /wh/variants/legs it can only be done if i first upload the vanilla file then choose "replace file", then i need to rename it appropriately. I feel when i do this, it could be prone to errors, or with PFM, sometimes you don't know if it even took.

I will have a crack at completely redoing my hex editing to ensure its done right. However, its so weird to me because i can't seem to see the items im missing when im viewing my DDS files in GIMP. The bracers/gloves and feet for instance are missing and i can't find the mesh to even edit those. I've searched all over Campaign_variants.pack/dds and its hard to isolate where it links when inspecting the rigid model files. Regardless it works in vanilla so its definitely my error somewhere.

@darkphoenix yeah i will look at just redoing the hex and pointing the files directly and see what explodes.

Sometimes parts of texture are in other model for example Wood elf Wardancers had some leg parts texture in chest model . When I wanted to paint them autumn red colors , parts still stayed green or brown because parts were still being called on original texture so I had to look for legs part in chest .rigid model .

So, many trial and error because of that, many bugs exist also still in game and lot of things are more restrictive than previous games .

Some thing that can help is to find similar mod on steam workshop and try to replicate it , AdoPotato has some great work with making alpha channel invisible and using them to add different style of armor.

There is also EasyRigidEditor http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...texture-links)
    which is supposed to be included in Rusted Pack File Manager though I don't use it , I use hex editor search and replace all function.

Quote Originally Posted by kelembribor21 View Post
    Sometimes parts of texture are in other model for example Wood elf Wardancers had some leg parts texture in chest model . When I wanted to paint them autumn red colors , parts still stayed green or brown because parts were still being called on original texture so I had to look for legs part in chest .rigid model .

So, many trial and error because of that, many bugs exist also still in game and lot of things are more restrictive than previous games .

Some thing that can help is to find similar mod on steam workshop and try to replicate it , AdoPotato has some great work with making alpha channel invisible and using them to add different style of armor.

There is also EasyRigidEditor http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...texture-links)
    which is supposed to be included in Rusted Pack File Manager though I don't use it , I use hex editor search and replace all function.
    Aye, plenty of bugs to be sure! I ended up finally resolving this issue by adding in my mask/normals along with all my diffuses and specular files. I can't figure out why this needed to be the case, but its worked for now. I will definately take a look into the Easy Rigid Editor, so thank you very much for that one. My next job is to polish, clean up the codes and start adding more to my pack!