Thread: Unspecified error CTD when loading saves

Default Unspecified error CTD when loading saves

Hi all. Was wondering whether anyone could help with a strange problem I'm having.

Every time I try to load a save file the game crashes with the unspecified error message. The log gives no further information, even when set to trace.
    Just to clarify, the game doesn't crash during the campaign at all, but always does as soon as I try to load. So I can hit CTRL S to quicksave, then immediately try to load the save I just made and it crashes.

I've done lots of modding (to an existing mod!), so I can't give any more useful details, but does anyone know what sort of problem could be causing this very specific glitch?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unspecified error CTD when loading saves

Does the same problem exist with a regular save? Eg doing it via the interface instead of the shortcut.

sometimes it can be that there is an error in the descr_win_conditions text file a region name that is no more in the game

Quote Originally Posted by stevietheconquer View Post
    sometimes it can be that there is an error in the descr_win_conditions text file a region name that is no more in the game
    Yes! This was it! Thanks a million - I'd been pulling my hair out about this.

Such a frustrating glitch - not only does the log give no useful information, but how on earth does it not cause the campaign to crash on start-up and alert you sooner?! Grrr....

Blog Entries

It will crash on start-up if you try to start the game with the faction that has the invalid win condition.

Sigh. Just when I thought it was all fine, another problem!

I can now play campaigns (and load saves!) with no issues, but if I modify any files mid-campaign then try to load a save it CTDs again. To clarify, that's seemingly ANY file - even ones which can normally be modified at any time, like export_descr_unit or descr_settlement_mechanics. If I back-up the file first and then load the previous version, everything works again. Very confused.

Blog Entries

Virtual store issue? Not very likely but worthwhile following up.
    Using a wrong editor? Some introduce hidden formatting that the game can't handle.
    Saving in wrong format? BOM instead of ANSI?

Suggestion: change the recruit value (second value in stat_cost line) of a unit in the EDU and if that crashes upload the file for inspection. Specify the unit you did the change for.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 03, 2018 at 10:20 PM.

I'm pretty sure it's not UAC. It's the De Bello Mundi mod I'm modding, and it's saved in the same directory as TATW, which I've spent about a million hours modding with no problems.

I changed the rec cost of the first unit (Numidian_Elephant) from 1200 to 1000 and it crashed again (log too big to upload, so I've attached a version with just the start and end). Once I replaced the previous version of edu, all fine again. Mental.

export_descr_unit.txtsystem.log - Copy.txt

are the ctd's in the 1 turn of the game ore are you already in the middle of the camapaign,if i change too much files in mine already starting campaign then it can go wrong,this game can be so sensitive,i mean change a little thing in already started campaign and it can go ctd.

and does annyone knows where the virtual store is in windows 10?as gigantus said there can be files that can mess your game too.

and it can be by a wrong code ore something like gigantus said,i always use notepad but not the notepad++,the normal one,called in dutch ;kladblok.
    Last edited by stevietheconquer; August 05, 2018 at 08:25 AM.

The CTD happens at any point, whenever I make a change. It seems that I can play a campaign forever, as long as I don't change anything. I've done loads of mid-campaign modding to TATW and the Crusades campaign and never had this problem.

I should add that I can actually make changes to UI files with no problems, but anything else seems to break it.

I have a same problem but when I checked that file its empty. Im using the APoK mode. if you have any more solutions please feel free to share! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by stevietheconquer View Post
    I have a same problem but when I checked that file its empty. Im using the APoK mode. if you have any more solutions please feel free to share! ^^

i do not known much about modding ,gigantus knowns much more then me, never heard about apok mode.before you start your game the descr_win_conditions text file is maybe already empty?so you got to make one and put it in your files when you start your game.

Blog Entries

Yup, an empty win_conditions file should lead to the famous 'another faction has won' event but not a crash.

Mid game modding: there are a number of files that are not save game compatible, it all depends what the changes actually were.