Thread: Stakes in Cities/Sieges

Default Stakes in Cities/Sieges

Hello guys, sorry if this question has been asked before, I've done some digging but couldn't locate anything.

I recently had to reinstall Med 2 + Stainless Steel onto my computer. I updated all the way to the 6.4 bugfix compilation, and generally, I haven't had any issues. I started a new campaign as Hungary, which has been going very well especially by my own standards for a Med 2 campaign. Took control of southeastern Europe and much of Asia Minor, and then successfully crusaded Jerusalem. Generally, I try to avoid super cheesy tactics such as placing stakes at the gates unless I'm really in a tough spot. However, I knew a Jihad was coming, and my troops were quite stretched; soon enough the Egyptians and Turks arrived with huge stacks, with lots of heavy cav and horse archers. I had a couple units of Byzantine Mourtatoi in the city, so I tried to set up their stakes behind the gates...only, the option to set stakes up is not there at all. There's no button that can be placed anywhere on their unit movements/abilities etc at any stage.

I checked to confirm that they (Mourtatoi) can in fact place stakes, which the game indicates they can. I then decided to test on some custom battles with other units that can place stakes like English Yeomen, and found that I can't place stakes in any siege situation. They'll deploy fine in a field battle, but the moment a siege occurs the option is not there. I thought it might have something to do with paved streets in big cities like Jerusalem, but the option doesn't even appear no matter the "level" of settlement, even in wooden castles. Is this an explicit decision made by the modding team to prevent people from using an AI exploit, or is it just my game not working properly? I'd really appreciate some advice either way as I'm not that confident modding unless I know exactly what I need to change. I'm using RR/RC, Savage AI, no BGR, have found this "bug" on both Early and Late Era campaigns.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Stakes in Cities/Sieges

you cant place stakes on a road, be it inside a settlement or field, if you want to place some stakes in front of a gate move your archer unit a bit farther from the gate, also you can try puting your archer unit into a long line formation and try puting the stakes again

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    you cant place stakes on a road, be it inside a settlement or field, if you want to place some stakes in front of a gate move your archer unit a bit farther from the gate, also you can try puting your archer unit into a long line formation and try puting the stakes again
    Thank you so much! I had tried moving them around but struggled to get it to work but moving them right to the very back worked. Your advice just helped win a ridiculous victory for the Christians of Jerusalem so, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
    Your advice just helped win a ridiculous victory for the Christians of Jerusalem so, thanks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fdn...nnel=KnightSGC