Thread: Submod: CAI begone

4zumi's Avatar This one sparks joy

Default Submod: CAI begone

Attention!
    with the relase of 3.1 that removed the CAI, this submod is no longer necessary.

I just made a small submod that removes the Skynet CAI. I tested it in a france campaign and I think it comes out quiet satisfactory.

all you have to do is download this mod here
    (no longer available)

unpack it and put it into the totalvanillab folder.

make a backup of the three altered files if you want to revert back sometime later if you like the skynet cai more.

I think you have to start a new campaign to let it take effect.

Have fun, tell me if something breaks (but it should not)
    Last edited by 4zumi; October 06, 2018 at 07:52 AM.
    Proudly under the patronage of King Athelstan of the Imperial House of Hader

Author of
    Total Vanilla Beyond mod for Medieval 2 - Kingdoms &
    Developer of
    Total Bananas mod for Medieval 2 - Kingdoms (beta)

Steam Workshop Mods for Rome 2, Warhammer, Warhammer 2

Discord: zumi's cookie corner
    Fighting for launch of "Cookie Friday" and "No Pants Saturday"

Default Re: Submod: CAI begone

Thanks for this add-on, 4zumi

@cokjan
    You are welcome

@all
    I have done some in campaign testing. And yes, if you apply this submod, alliances will get broken frequently and everyone bordering you will declare war. Rather sooner than later.
    Might be, because I played as the Byzantines and I sit right in the middle of the brawl...

Author of
    Developer of

I'm not overly familiar with Skynet AI and what using it entails - How does this submod compare to the mod's base AI?
    I've tried playing Total Vanilla as two different factions so far and while I really like it so far (you've done a great job!) I've found the AI to be a bit passive in some ways. Basically the campaign AI has no problems with attacking the player, but in 30-40 turns on my two different campaigns the only time an AI faction declared war on a different AI faction was in order to join a crusade. I checked the main release thread and it appeared that other people had similar experiences (Link)
    Similarly it feels like the battle AI routs very easily, but I'm still not completely sure about that one. :shrug:

Based on your replies in the thread I linked as well as this one I'm going to assume this submod restores the slightly more aggressive campaign AI, but I figured I might as well ask just to make sure. This way someone else won't have to ask the same question in the future.

I have integrated the Skynet AI because of a suggestion. And I found that it makes the CAI very "passive". Alliances will get honored at all costs, and you can make friends for a lifetime.
    CAI begone removes this and reverts it back to the original game AI, where you will get backstabbed every second, but it makes the game more interersting, or better said, you are constantly at war, everybody is constantly at war.

The AI routing is something I noticed too. Especially in city defences. I have thought about removing the BAI too in another submod. Maybe you can counter this, by using to hard or very hard battles. But I have not tested it yet.

And thanks for your comment.

Author of
    Developer of

Cool, I'll try a new campaign with this submod installed then. I don't mind if the AI breaks treaties if it means they also actually attack each other, otherwise it might get stale in the long run if they never expand beyond their borders

I already play with battle difficulty set to VH which is why I felt something was amiss when the enemies routed within seconds of clashing with my army, so that's unfortunately not an option.

Ok, thanks for mentioning it. I will make a submod, that removes the BAI too. And we will see, were it goes from there.

And a little bit of a disclaimer, I dont't know rainbows about AI. I might have made some mistakes implementing Skynet, or it is just how it is.
    I think I will make a notice in the main thread, once the submod is done, to draw attention to the option too exclude the new AI.

Author of
    Developer of

I'll look forward to it

Attention!
    with the relase of 3.1 that removed the CAI, this submod is no longer necessary.

Author of
    Developer of