Thread: The French Connection

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Default The French Connection

PARIS
    Hugh de Montfort has made his way to Paris, to the heart of Capet rule. A growing city on the Seine with old traditions and a young king. Here Phillip I works to maintain order for his kingdom and hold control over powerful vassals.

Such was why Hugh was here. King Edgar had sent him to obtain recognition from the king of the Franks. For Edgar to hold Normandy in name and title, and for Phillip I to acknowledge his claim. Whether that be under French or English rule was yet to be seen.

His journey has led him through the city and to the royal court. Bearing title of office and a writ from the king he seeks to met with Phillip.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Re: The French Connection

If King Philip was upset about Edgar's betrayal, he didn't show it openly - the French court was still quite merry, with wine flowing in inordinate amounts and the courtiers present trying to outdo one another in the categories of 'who can laugh the loudest' and 'who can dress the gaudiest'. The twenty-something King of the Franks himself was seated by his new wife, Bertha of Holland, but Montfort could easily see that there was no short supply of attractive young women fluttering in and out of the hall - blondes, redheads and the dark-haired, buxom and slender, some in their teens and others looking like they're pushing thirty - who no doubt would entertain their liege whenever he grew bored with trying to sire an heir through his homely bride. Clearly, he was not a man nicknamed 'the Amorous' for irony's sake.

"Well met...Sieur de Montfort, isn't it? I have been informed that you visit me as steward of Normandie." Philip finally said, once Montfort had entered speaking distance and all the formulaic formalities of the Capetian court had been sorted out. "I find that to be a most curious development, since I was unaware anyone presently legitimately occupies that duchy, much less possesses the authority to name anyone else its steward. Even more curiously, the man I previously recognized as Duke, Robert Curthose, appears to have fallen off the face of the Earth." The King straightened in his chair, neatly crossed one leg over the other, and steepled his hands as he awaited Montfort's response.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; July 27, 2018 at 06:31 PM.

Citizen

Montfort listened as the king spoke, keeping a calm gaze as the French ruler gave his observations and made his inquiry. He had not expected anything less. With steady, purposeful words he responded. "Normandy, like England, it seems has been fated to change hands multiple times over a short amount of years. Lords come and go. Some rather abruptly." and leaving a wake of upheaval in their tracks "I do not know what has become of Curthose. Perhaps the loss of his father and title became too much for the man and he sought escape. Perhaps he fell a horse and lies in some wooded ditch. Only god truly knows." Montfort had his own suspicions but would not share them here. "In his any event Edgar has taken up Normandy as Curthose's heir."

"He has a rather vested interest in the region, especially after going through the trouble of dealing with Mortain, as well as Brittany." quite a few lords now held an interest in the region.

Last edited by chesser2538; August 02, 2018 at 10:02 PM.

"I can imagine. So do I, after all." Philip replied dryly. "And yes, I've been made aware that apparently Robert Curthose named Edgar his heir. How convenient he should simply...disappear so soon after agreeing to such a demand. What do you believe befell him, by the by? Speak freely, Sieur de Montfort, for you are among friends here." The handsome young king smiled thinly, not the most flattering of expressions on his otherwise fair face.

"Anyway. You've come here to speak more-so about Edgar than about Robert, no? Do tell what, exactly, it is your liege lord wishes."

Citizen

A silence draws over the room as Hugh considered his answer. Was the truth really best best course. Finally he chooses to offer up something. Sighing "Robert was always too trusting. He trusted that honor would outweigh ambition, and was passed over for heir. Then he trusted Edgar to protect him, going so far as to tie his claim to him. I believe this was his downfall. While the king is not deceitful enough kill a man under his protection. His vassals are." There were quite a few that came to mind.

"I believe one of these men acted outside of his knowledge, and either outright killed Robert, or locked him away somewhere distant and obscure." Pausing briefly

"Regardless of what happened things now stand as they do." Once given it was hard to take something back. Regaining his composure slightly Montfort continues. "And yes, my interests here, and to a greater extent those of the king, pertain to a different matter." ready to finally get to the reason for his visit Hugh continues.

"Having actieved claim, both legally, and through force of arms, Edgar has established himself in Normandy. He now seeks that proper recognition be given. He has sent me here to achieve just that." How that went was yet to be determined

"Mmm. So you say Edgar was innocent, and that it was a vassal of his who made Robert disappear into the aether. Which of them do you suspect, then? The list of men who'd dare strike down a scion of the House of Normandy, son of an anointed king who once flew the Papal standard next to his own, surely cannot be that long." Philip pressed, an eyebrow raised. The only great Norman vassal of Edgar's who he'd met face-to-face was the one called the Badger, Comte de Gloucestre. But it seemed near all of William's vassals had deserted him for the Saxon prince before his body had turned cold, and those who hadn't were dashed to pieces and deprived of everything but their names when the late damned Mortain led them to calamity at the Meres some years back. If they could turn their backs on Curthose's claim to the English throne, then going a step further and eliminating the claimant entirely probably wasn't beyond any one of them.

"Well, it is good to know my cousin of England still acknowledges the laws and boundaries of Francia." The King harrumphed when the topic shifted back to Edgar's desire for recognition as Duke of Normandy. It wasn't like he had much choice but to acknowledge the English fait accompli at this point anyway, for the royal demesne was still too weak to support any significant incursions into Normandy and the last time Capet had hired mercenaries (or more accurately, given someone else royal coin to hire mercenaries with) they'd been made quick work of. "As sovereign over Normandy, I can accept his and his wife's fealty as my vassals, and in so doing acknowledge them as lawful Duke and Duchess of that land. But they will have to travel here for the ceremony."

Citizen

Deciding how far to go, there was no telling how what he said here could be interpreted. And what could eventually get back to the king. "I cannot say for sure, the list may not be long, but I can still count on two hands the number of men both capable and willing of such a task." Though half of those would would have already gotten caught. Montfort suspected the culprit to be someone close to the king, likely someone on his council. Perhaps de Vere, Badger, or d'Avranches.

With a calm relaxed tone as though it were a formality. "Now that we are agreed on recognition, there are a few terms that need to be sorted out." His eyes seem to focus in, like those of a hawk swooping over his prey. "Normandy will remain under French influence. The line of House of Cerdic will maintain hereditary title over the Dutchy of Normandy in perpetuity."

Pausing for a moment "However, it will not be subject to tribute, taxation, or pressing of troops without the consent of Edgar. I realize this diverges from that of the other dukes, but none of them are the King of England." None of them had armies to match those of Philip.

"There will be a formal recognition of each others holdings between you and Edgar, and any disputes whether land or sea are to be sorted out." Hopefully this would lend legitimacy to Edgars recent proclamations.

Finally drawing his speech to a close "Now as for the matter of oaths. Until such time as Edgar is able to journey here, I shall stand in his stead as steward and give whatever oaths are needed." Quieting he waits for Philips response.

"Surely you jest, Sieur de Montfort." Was Philip's response, his tone and the temperature in the room respectively sounding & feeling as though they've dropped several degrees. "You think that because Edgar is King of England, he is above even the most basic of duties as my vassal? I would not allow even the Holy Roman Emperor to get away with that. If you think the King of the Franks will accept such an indignity, you may as well return to England, inform your master that I do not recognize his claim to Normandy, and will instead award the duchy to someone who has not confused his station with that of one of the Twelve Apostles." Though Ralph of Valois had died and much of his lands passed back into the Crown's hands, Philip remained uncertain whether that was enough to even fight the English to a draw. Yet still there remained a much bigger thing than French lives and money at stake here - Capetian pride. There was no way a scion of Hugh Capet would concede so much without being actually, thoroughly defeated in war first, even if he had nothing to fight with but a frying pan in one hand a stiff piece of bread in the other.

"I will recognize his descendants as Dukes of Normandy, so long as they are able to come to France to give their oath of homage after their ascent to his throne." Philip the Amorous continued, relaxing a little in his chair, though his expression remained stony. "He must still pay me taxes from his Norman possessions, as my vassal...though I can state with reasonable certainty I will call on him to do so as often as he calls on his own English subjects." Which doesn't appear to be all that often, remained unsaid. The King's lips turned up in a poor attempt at a smile, though it looked more like a grimace or sneer to Montfort and marred his handsome features. "And yes, of course, no exchange of oaths can be complete without the recognition of formal boundaries between Normandy and its neighbors, including mine own lands, so as to eliminate any...uncertainties along the border."

Citizen

Their game of verbal jousting continuing, Montfort pressed on. "In regards to troops, Normandy is still recovering from the upheavals of the past years. It needs time to recover. Time to rebuild, and for its people to adjust. I would be satisfied for an exemption to be made. One exempting them from service except in the event of outside attack. Say for a period of 10 years. Having just secured Normandy, it would likely not prove beneficial to upset the balance by pressing its people into war.

"Now as for oaths, you can be rest assured that they will be given." and once tenure had been established, Philip would be hard pressed to attempt anything with the Duchy. Any attempt would not sit well with Edgar, or any of Philips vassals "As well as current borders recognized, I am sure our clerks and stewards can sort out the details."

Hopefully Philip could be satisfied with this arrangement as Hugh wished this matter settled.

Last edited by chesser2538; August 07, 2018 at 12:27 PM.

"Five years." Philip countered, one hand tapping on the armrest of his chair impatiently. "I will grant Edgar reprieve from his foremost feudal duty for half a decade, and no more. Before you take me for a fool, Sieur de Montfort, realize I'm not unaware that most of Normandy folded like a house of paper after Rouen fell. I was there and my men remained to issue a continuous stream of reports to my desk even after I left on account of my injuries from the siege, after all."

Citizen

Sighing Hugh considered the counter proposal, the King of France negotiated like a Venetian fishmonger, and any gains were proving to be marginal. "That will be satisfactory." though it could be better. "Now then, I suppose we are in agreement." With matters settled here Montfort could begin to handle his other duties in the dutchy.

"I must say you have proven to be quite different to the man I had expected to meet." looking slightly impressed "It would seem the blood of Charlemagne still runs strong in House Capet." Whether that would prove true in the future was yet to be seen.

"I can give the necessary oaths now if you wish. Arrangements can then be made for a more formal ceremony once Edgar finds the time to make the journey." With all that was going on in England Hugh was not sure if that would be in a month or a year.