Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Army of North Wales

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Default Re: The Army of North Wales

With a warm smile "Quite well, glad to be back on friendly ground, and better yet to my family." Though it had not been a particularly long campaign, the dreariness of it had made him long for the comfort of home. "This campaign has gone rather well. Northern Wales is secure, and you now have a new vassal." Edgar had gained much in Wales, it was yet to be seen how those who had helped him would fare. "I have heard you will be leaving soon. I must say, it has been quite enjoyable having you here." While the northern campaign was concluding, matters elsewhere seemed to be heating up.

"Before you depart there was a matter I wished to bring up." One that Gerald was rather thought rather important.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

"Go on, Gerald."

The King retained a relaxed posture, though men who knew him better would spot the signs of weariness from the long months of campaign and the recent troubles that were afflicting the kingdom. News had been brought recently that the Danes had returned. Despite his wishes to the contrary, it was unlikely to be an isolated occurrence.

Citizen

With a calm leveled yet familiar tone Gerald begins to speak. "Wales was a success for you. One I was the architect of, and while force of men won the field I was the one that brought them here." And quite an assorted turnout it had been.
    Letting that thought draw out "I realize the intention had been for lands to be awarded from Welsh gains, but since that is no longer an option, I would ask that they be awarded from elsewhere."

“There are lands within sight of the coast," he gestures in a direction off to his right "that lie virtually unattended by their provincial lords. Prime targets for raiders and brigands, but with the potential for development. Additionally there are territories in my own shire that have been left semi-autonomous since William awarded the grant. Ones that as earl I would seek to bring under my tenure."

“I have served you well, and will continue to do so. However, I do seek satisfaction." Gerald had been rebuked once before, he did not intend to stand for it again. Not after everything he had done.

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    With a calm leveled yet familiar tone Gerald begins to speak. "Wales was a success for you. One I was the architect of, and while force of men won the field I was the one that brought them here." And quite an assorted turnout it had been.
    Letting that thought draw out "I realize the intention had been for lands to be awarded from Welsh gains, but since that is no longer an option, I would ask that they be awarded from elsewhere."

“There are lands within sight of the coast," he gestures in a direction off to his right "that lie virtually unattended by their provincial lords. Prime targets for raiders and brigands, but with the potential for development. Additionally there are territories in my own shire that have been left semi-autonomous since William awarded the grant. Ones that as earl I would seek to bring under my tenure."

“I have served you well, and will continue to do so. However, I do seek satisfaction." Gerald had been rebuked once before, he did not intend to stand for it again. Not after everything he had done.
    "You would claim my victory?"

The King had been in an irritable mood of late. The coalition that Avranches claimed to have built had been blown apart by a gust of wind when Mowbray had cut down Lord de Clare. He exhaled.

"But you are right. You deserve some reward, if only for the considerable expenses you incurred."

Avranches was ambitious. Like all Normans he seemed to hunger insatiably for the promise of greater estate.

"Alan Rufus' estates at Richmond will be yours, recognition of your shared kinship."
    Last edited by Gandalfus; August 10, 2018 at 01:11 PM.

Citizen

Feeling a mix of excitement and frustration, Gerald gave the king a smile. Richmond was nice, but to hold just it left his position in the region weak. "That is most considerate your grace. I will ensure Richmond is well taken care of. Though I must say the appointment leave me vulnerable in the region." Hoards of northmen pillaging the countryside filled his mind. "With the northmen attacking in number, I fear we may have another war on our hands." Gerald was surprised that they had not launched their attack sooner; there had been ample opportunity for one.

"Now that I have an invested interest in the north I desire to secure its stability and the safety of the people I will oversee. I mustered a large portion of my levies to fight the Welsh.” and spent a good amount of his coin to raise them “They are just now returning to their homes and I would not call them back so soon." Nor would they likely answer favorably if he did. "A decent amount of Richmondshire still lies open. Grant me those provinces and I will muster their men, as well as what I can recruit from here to fight these invaders."

"Very well."

The King conceded. Despite the obvious divisions that had arose between the marchers, it was best to ensure that they still remained loyal to himself.

"So long as you observe the peace with Gwynedd, I have no qualms."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345